Where do you rank Hughes amongst City's past coaches?

Prestwich_Blue said:
So on two out of three measures Hughes is the best of the recent era and on points per game not far behind Sven (and will presumably overtake him soon).

With the resources we have I think it would be almost impossible not to overtake Sven and KK in all categories.

If you're rating managers I guess it depends whether or not you choose to factor in the resources that each had available.

At the moment on that scale, Hughes fares very badly. But I do expect his stats to improve over the course of the rest of the season.

moomba said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
So on two out of three measures Hughes is the best of the recent era and on points per game not far behind Sven (and will presumably overtake him soon).

With the resources we have I think it would be almost impossible not to overtake Sven and KK in all categories.

If you're rating managers I guess it depends whether or not you choose to factor in the resources that each had available.

At the moment on that scale, Hughes fares very badly.
Very badly? Please explain why.

Pigeonho said:
moomba said:
He spent £40m odd before the takeover, and then got the prize in Robinho on the last day. Another £40-50m in January, I just don't think you can just forget that last season happened.

No course you can't ignore it, but I think its fair to say that on the last day of a transfer window whrn you all of a sudden have a player you probably never thought of buying, and billions to spend, its fair to say that you then start planning for the next 2 windows, mainly the next main summer window, which is what he has done. He bought players used to this league and currently that set of players have us in a position no other manager has been able to do. That alone puts Hughes amongst one of the best managers we have had in a generation, a fact which is cemented with his achievement of putting us into a semi final.

Pigeonhö, with the money spent since Hughes got put in charge, do you think that any other manager would have gotten the same results?

skybluekings said:
Pigeonho said:
Better than any of the amount of time I have been going, and that is since 88'. In my time of going to watch Man City I have never seen us in a semi final of a major comp, so that immediately puts him right up there. If he goes onto win that cup, he has achieved something we haven't done for what, 36 years is it now? That puts him as the best manager we have had in 36 years then, statistically. If he finishes top 4 and with that cup, there literally should never be a bad word spoken about him again, fact.

I think even the Hughes Outers will agree with your last sentence.

Sadly though, they won't and that is why the comment someone made earlier on this thread, 'Hughes has managed to split the fans', is complete horse bollocks. All that has happened in terms of the divided opinion is that a whole hoard of 'fans' who hate anything ex-rag have created this dillusional culture of 'Hughes out', and 10 PL titled will never change them.

Pigeonho said:
No course you can't ignore it, but I think its fair to say that on the last day of a transfer window whrn you all of a sudden have a player you probably never thought of buying, and billions to spend, its fair to say that you then start planning for the next 2 windows, mainly the next main summer window, which is what he has done. He bought players used to this league and currently that set of players have us in a position no other manager has been able to do. That alone puts Hughes amongst one of the best managers we have had in a generation, a fact which is cemented with his achievement of putting us into a semi final.

I think it makes him one of the most successful in a generation, not necessarily the best in a generation.

Pigeonho said:
Sadly though, they won't and that is why the comment someone made earlier on this thread, 'Hughes has managed to split the fans', is complete horse bollocks. All that has happened in terms of the divided opinion is that a whole hoard of 'fans' who hate anything ex-rag have created this dillusional culture of 'Hughes out', and 10 PL titled will never change them.

You're obsessed by rags, it's the only conclusion I can draw from those comments.

considering the shit we have had over the last 30 years he's doing well 6th in the premier and semi final league cup keep up the good work hughesy

skybluekings said:
Pigeonho said:

Pigeonhö, with the money spent since Hughes got put in charge, do you think that any other manager would have gotten the same results?

Who knows? It could easily have been the case we got someone who managed to change that 1 defeat into 10, or 1 defeat into 0 defeats and us top of the tree. No-one can know that for sure though, so its pointless wondering about that. The question was where does Hughes fair in comparison to other managers, and the FACT is he has us into the last 4 of a major comp, and with a real chance of top 4, something no-one else has been able to do for years and years and years, more years than most of the Hughes Outers will remember, as they were probably still just a piece of duff in their daddies bollox when we last got to the semi's of a cup.

skybluekings said:
With the resources and results of all of City's past coaches, where does Hughes rank amongst them?

On a par with late great Alan Ball. He inherited a side having finished 8th on 55 points and taken it systematically backwards to 9th with 50 points despite bringing in a whole new team of players to the tune of £150mil. If we hadn't spent the large anount of cash in January I'm convinced we would have gone down.

moomba said:
Pigeonho said:

You're obsessed by rags, it's the only conclusion I can draw from those comments.

Really? Ok Moomba, if you say so.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.