Where do you stand on this (fast food places)

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
Locals in Sydney’s hip Newtown suburb are clucking with anger over the prospect of a KFC restaurant for the district’s famous King St strip, warning the beloved American fried chicken franchise could take away from the “character” of the area and degrade the earning power of rival retailers.

Should fast food places be able to open in town centers without hindrance, isn't it a free market economy however much the locals don't want it. Or are some town centers too upmarket for fast food places ?

Locals in Sydney’s hip Newtown suburb are clucking with anger over the prospect of a KFC restaurant for the district’s famous King St strip, warning the beloved American fried chicken franchise could take away from the “character” of the area and degrade the earning power of rival retailers.

Should fast food places be able to open in town centers without hindrance, isn't it a free market economy however much the locals don't want it. Or are some town centers too upmarket for fast food places ?
Guess it depends on the place, I could see something like that ruining a town for sure

I don't have a huge objection to having certain areas reserved for local, independent businesses that actually pay their taxes and keep money in the local economy.

The problem with the 'free market' is that it's often abused by these huge American conglomerates. Is it really a free market to make losses for 10 years to drive others out of business like Uber? Or to run your corporate profits through Ireland to avoid paying the same tax as everyone else on the high street? That's not fair competition at all.

I don't have a huge objection to having certain areas reserved for local, independent businesses that actually pay their taxes and keep money in the local economy.

The problem with the 'free market' is that it's often abused by these huge American conglomerates. Is it really a free market to make losses for 10 years to drive others out of business like Uber? Or to run your corporate profits through Ireland to avoid paying the same tax as everyone else on the high street? That's not fair competition at all.
The “free market” doesn’t exist. It’s a myth, because the only way to create, and especially maintain, it is to regulate it, thus destroying it!

20 years ago I was living in Sydney, and I got into this MD sort who raved about this area. She took me one Friday evening and I couldn't believe all the different styles of food on offer from all around the world. It was mint! We opted for Tai and it was spot on. A few days later we went to a Indonesian place which was equally as good. The actual place was a bit rough around the edges but I think that added to its charm. I really think KFC or Maccy Ds etc would not fit in there. Why would you eat that shite when you've got gorgeous proper food outlets next door.

20 years ago I was living in Sydney, and I got into this MD sort who raved about this area. She took me one Friday evening and I couldn't believe all the different styles of food on offer from all around the world. It was mint! We opted for Tai and it was spot on. A few days later we went to an Indonesian place which was equally as good. The actual place was a bit rough around the edges but I think that added to its charm. I really think KFC or Maccy Ds etc would not fit in there. Why would you eat that shite when you've got gorgeous proper food outlets next door.
Why do people eat that shite in places like central Manchester when they’ve got great places close by? Can’t see Tracy and Daz going for a Kao pad gai when they can get a Big Mac meal for a fiver

Reminds me of a few years ago in didsbury when the ‘posh’ protested at the prospect of a McDonald’s drive thru.

I never frequent such places. Fast food, coffee shops, Greggs all the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.