Where does Francis Lee rate?

This is a great read for a ‘younger fan’. I never got to watch him play but have been bought up on stories of how good he was and also as mentioned how much he put into the club. Certain names will always have my respect although never seeing them and Franny Lee is obviously a stand out.

I’ve enjoyed reading about the comparisons to Tevez and gives me more of an understanding.

This film about Lee from 1970 was posted on YouTube yesterday. It appears to show his every touch in a game against Spurs and in one for England, and gives a great sense of the type of player he was.

Apparently the film was made by the Canadian Air Force and narrated by Michael Parkinson.

One of the biggest characters, Lee, with Summerbee, Doyle, Tony Coleman.. all had that ‘edge’. Leaders and battlers. We could handle ourselves alright in those days. Different times of course.

I'm guessing that, even after promotion in 66, City still suffered from an inferiority complex, especially when compared to Law, Charlton and Best.
We needed a touch of arrogant self belief, and Lee's signing was the perfect storm.

Sadly, the BBC bias resulted in dozens of George Best goals preserved for posterity (even in games where United lost) and just a few flickering images of Lee's brilliance, so I'll have to imagine his vital goals at Anfield and Old Trafford in 67-68, or even the late FA Cup Quarter Final winner v Tottenham the following season.

As for the OP's original question, I remember sitting in the Platt Lane in the 1970s and listening to the old timers regale me with tales of Eric Brook, Fred Tilson, and Peter Doherty, and how they would walk into the current team.
Fifty years later, I smile to myself in the role of old timer, just happy that I witnessed the last few years of Bell, Lee, and Summerbee.
A completely different era when football seemed more innocent, but probably wasn't. No point in comparing. Just happy that City are doing so well.
Great post

That team of the late sixties/early seventies is when I started going to football games and so will always be special to me. If we had the exposure then football gets now people would still be talking about them. Franny was the glamour/golden boy back then. A tenacious, skilful and aggressive striker. Built like a small tank, barrel chested and ploughing through the mud, often to finish with a ferocious strike into the net. As others have said, in style and build,Tevez from the modern era resembled him the most.

Where do I rate him overall? Right up there. King Colin, Buzzer, Silva, Toure, De Bruyne, Aguero, Franny. He would certainly get into this City side.

On a sidenote it saddens me Neil Young doesn't get the recognition his contribution merits too.
So true about Nelly, scored on the big occasions. Two cup finals included

This film about Lee from 1970 was posted on YouTube yesterday. It appears to show his every touch in a game against Spurs and in one for England, and gives a great sense of the type of player he was.

Apparently the film was made by the Canadian Air Force and narrated by Michael Parkinson.

Ultra rare, not seen this for years,

Thanks.

My all time City team is based on players from 1967 to today and does not include current players. Its set up 4,4,2 the only problem was Lee or Tevez. Kun already in.
For me both played with that high energy must win mentality, yes Franny was a good one :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.