Where have all the Insects gone ?

dennishasdoneit

Has anybody else noticticed the decline in insect numbers...
Ive been aware of it for years.....but it's getting a little stark now..
Does anyone care?
And what are the reasons for such decline?

Does anyone care?
I was only thinking the opposite. Never seen as many dragonflies as I have this year.

What I remember from my childhood is cleaning the family car.
The front and especially the windscreen where the wipers didn’t reach, would be an insect graveyard - after a few hundred miles trip.

Now, it’s unusual to have a single insect splats at all.

Maybe it’s down to car aerodynamic improvements, but I have an old motorhome and that is square as anything from the 70’s and also doesn’t have many insect splats.

I started realising/noticing the lack of insect debris on my car in the late 90’s

Does anyone care?

should of seen my outside waste bin this morning

like something from a bushtucker trial

We moved into our current home about 16 years ago. Then, the kitchen window at night would be covered in moths, some big fat furry ones too. Now, none at all. Similar story re butterflies. No wasp nests this last two years, we used to get at least two per year. Bees, however, are everywhere this year.
I think the loss of habitat is a lot to do with the dearth.

I’ve got them all! I have had fruit flies most of the summer and it was a nightmare on Saturday trying to have a drink while watching the match. I spent most of the first half swatting them off my glass. They are stupid and won’t go out of the window or an open door, so sadly I have had to kill them, sorry!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.