Which Bands/Artists Did You See Before They Became Huge?

I saw a band called Alberto y los trios paranoias at Mcr poly when I was at uni back in the day. They were supported by an upcoming new three piece band lead by a blond haired bass player. Sting and The Police.
They weren't too bad, thought they had a good future, might make it.

The Albertos were a crazy band, didn't take themselves too seriously.

cooperman..

Gaudino said:
Did you see Led Zep play the local Poly? Hendrix at the CIS building?

I wish I had.....

For me I suppose it was seeing Queen support Mott The Hoople.
Thin Lizzy at Torquay Town Hall

REM at The Gallery (also the Poly, International 1, and the Ritz)

Ramones supporting Talking Heads at Electric Circus

Japan supporting Blue Oyster Cult at Free Trade Hall.

And one I missed, remember in '81, walking down Tottenham Court Rd in London, and on passing the Dominion (I think) theatre, seeing there was an artist on that night called Prince....said to then girlfriend, 'Heard he supposed to be pretty good' but we were on way to meet friends for a meal and didn't go in....bugger.

I saw this gig, was it at the Opera house?

cooperman45 said:
I saw a band called Alberto y los trios paranoias at Mcr poly when I was at uni back in the day. They were supported by an upcoming new three piece band lead by a blond haired bass player. Sting and The Police.

cooperman..

Loved the 'Berts! Get hold of CP Lee's book about them, When We Were Thin...great read.

And Droylsdenblue.....yeah, that Mott/Queen gig was at Opera House...me first ever gig too....

Sad Cafe at the Waggon & Horses 1976.. They weren't called SC then...

Around late 88 I saw James supported by Inspiral Carpets at Sheff Uni Lower Refectory, just before Madchester took off.

And it was 60p to get in !

Gaudino said:
cooperman45 said:

cooperman..

Loved the 'Berts! Get hold of CP Lee's book about them, When We Were Thin...great read.

And Droylsdenblue.....yeah, that Mott/Queen gig was at Opera House...me first ever gig too....

Morrissey was at the Opera House Mott TH gig too!

Yes that book of CP Lee's is hilarious and I got it for about £3 from Fopp. Mad tales of stashing all the drugs each time they crossed the channel on a ferry as they just knew they would have the vehicle stripped!

Saw the Doves playing support to a fat cnut called Alex Lloyd at St. George rowing club in Sydney,about ten years ago.
The Aussies were only interested in Lloyd and stood around talking and ignoring the Doves and copped a right gobfull at the end of the set.
Saw the Inspirals as the Monkey Walk,supporting the Bodines in Glossop.
Also REM at the Ritz,early eighties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.