Whining about Mark Hughes thread.

Pam said:
No matter what happens by the end of the season, I am still convinced we need to bring in a proven world class manager. Villa's agent has been putting it about that were he to be sold at the end of the season, he would consider City as long as we are serious about competing at the very top and as long as we can attract enough world class players to challenge for honours sooner rather than later. I can't help thinking that the likes of Morinhio would make a far more convincing case in this respect than Hughes. It was the same with Ranieri and Chelsea. Abromovich and Kendall sacked him not because his record was poor but because they didn't think he would be able to attract the world's very best in such a short space of time. In other words, Chelski were in a hurry to become the best and for that they needed someone with the profile and ego of Mourinhio.

Does anybody else think that these factors need to be taken into consideration when it comes to the great Mark Hughes debate?
Is this all you`ve got do on your day off.YAWN.

Rösler's Dad said:
PoolHustler said:
What's the point in changing the manager when he's doing a good job! All our best players this season apart from Ireland have been Hughes signings, you've got to remember this team was a mess at the end of last season and now we're just a few games away from a UEFA Cup final and playing some great football.
Another 3/4 signings in the summer and I'm convinced will be challenging for a Champions League spot next season.

Totally agree with this. Daft to replace Hughes when he's putting it together; and the poster who said Jose only became the special one AFTER his success with Porto is right; he was unknown before, more so than Hughes (who is, let's face it, pretty well known in football for his playing exploits at a few of Europe's top clubs not so many years ago). Hughes has every chance of doing the same thing as Jose, and top players WILL come.

Okay, just for the sake of argument, what would you think to the following scenario: Because of his questionable powers of persuasion attendant lack of profile, he will fail to persuade David Villa to join us for the start of next season. Morhinio, on the other hand, can sell and hype a project like there's no tomorrow and unlike Hughes, he would almost certainly say enough to persuade Villa (and others) to join us in the summer. Are people saying they would rather have Hughes, even if it meant missing out (unnecessarily) on the very best. That makes no kind of sense at all.

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hughes is our manager and I say get behind him and support YOUR club, we are building from the bottom up just like it should be

PoolHustler said:
What's the point in changing the manager when he's doing a good job! All our best players this season apart from Ireland have been Hughes signings, you've got to remember this team was a mess at the end of last season and now we're just a few games away from a UEFA Cup final and playing some great football.
Another 3/4 signings in the summer and I'm convinced will be challenging for a Champions League spot next season.

But we need someone to do a spectacularly good job, not just a steady Aston Villa's snail pace good hob ... and how can you say that anyway, when all we've had is one lousy away win all season.

Pam said:
Does anybody else think that these factors need to be taken into consideration when it comes to the great Mark Hughes debate?

ok....im bored of recycling this point over and over again but.......

weve had 8/9 new players this season

Given, Bellamy, Bridge and SWP all know the prem so settled quite quickly, though they still need to get to know their team mate and the formation........SWP has come back yes....but to a completely new squad of players

Zabaleta, Kompany, De jong, Robinho, have all come to a new country, a new team (as above) and the premiership which takes a while for the best players to settle and is twice as fast as any other league......

the other first team players which were the foundation of our squad are:
Dunne 29, Hamman 35, Petrov 30 (injured) Bojinov 23 (injured)

then
Richards 21, Onuoha 21, Ireland 22, Sturridge 19, Fernandes 21

so we had 1 main first teamer with experience who knew the club, 4 players whove come in a new team and need to setle, and 4players who have come into a new league, country and team. the rest were academy graduates still learning the game, who naturally as a youngster will have dips in form and make mistakes......

Do you think that these factors need to be taken into consideration when it comes to the great Mark Hughes debate?

I am/was in the HO camp - but he is making me re-think at the moment. results will dictate whether he stays or not, but the thing that is changing my mind about him is the style of football. I thought he was going to panic and revert to R1 approach, but he has persevered, which seems to have had an effect on morale and has re-energised the Brazilians etc. He is also starting to get the best out of Zab, Vinnie and even Micah seems to have picked up.

So lets see if the upward trend continues.

Give Hughes time;

- Younger players gain more and more experience, our UEFA cup run will have done them a hell of a lot of good.

- Foreign players such as De Jong, Zabaletta, Kompany et al grow more accustomed to the league.

- Elano and Robinho start to become more like Hughes players.

- Hughes brings in players of De Jong's calibre in weaker positions.

- We snag a super star or two when the circumstances are right (Global credit crunch anyone?).

Bar Bellamy/Petrov NO-ONE will be worse next season, we can only really go up.

Pam said:
Rösler's Dad said:
PoolHustler said:

Totally agree with this. Daft to replace Hughes when he's putting it together; and the poster who said Jose only became the special one AFTER his success with Porto is right; he was unknown before, more so than Hughes (who is, let's face it, pretty well known in football for his playing exploits at a few of Europe's top clubs not so many years ago). Hughes has every chance of doing the same thing as Jose, and top players WILL come.

Okay, just for the sake of argument, what would you think to the following scenario: Hughes fails to persuade David Villa to join us for the start of next season. Morhinio, on the other hand, can sell and hype a project like there's no tomorrow and unlike Hughes, he says enough to persuade Villa (and others) to join us in the summer. Are people saying they would rather have Hughes, even if it meant missing out (unnecessarily) on the very best. That makes no kind of sense at all.

Personally, Pam, I'm just not convinced by the Villa option; he clearly doesn't want to leave Spain, so I'm in favour of looking elsewhere in any case as an unhappy player is a poor player, generally. Hughes's buying record at Blackburn and here is good; there are other players who will do the biz, I'm sure. So the answer is, it wouldn't matter to me.

But it's all opinions, I know!

RD "Still on a high after the news from the swamp, he he he"...;0)

You simply can't compare City now to Chelsea, even under Ranieri. Chelsea first broke into the top four in 1997, under Ruud Gullit and have stayed there since, apart from under Vialli, when they fell to 6th. Then Ranieri took them to 2nd but he was there when Abramovic took over and he wanted someone more high profile.

We need to get to where Chelsea were about 5 years ago before we can even think about whether Hughes is the right man to take us even further. I also think that lack of Champions League football is the biggest thing that would stop players like Villa coming here.

its taken him 6 months to start to gel a squad of 8/9 new players, turn the mentality around (as ireland said people were laughing after getting hammered 8-1, thats a 'couldnt give a shit' mentailty) and start to improve the results......its a process which is working.....as far as im concerned we dont need superstars yet, we need great players who want to win for the team!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.