White heterosexual male wins discrimination case.

People are saying give it to best applicant. I’ve seen managers recruit some right plebs, that they thought were the best applicant but weren’t. I do believe unconscious bias happens all the time with inexperienced managers.

I’ve seen team managers hire little versions of themselves. Homosexuals predominantly hire other homosexuals, and a vegan hire another vegan.

People discriminate all the time weather they know it or not. The one I see all the time is guys hiring young fit girls. I guarantee after I’ve done an interview with a female the first thing I’ll get asked of the lads in the office is “was is she fit?” Or if she was fit and they caught a climpse, I’ll get told “you’ve got to hire her”.

Bang on the money.

Most interviews aren't fit for purpose the same shitty questions and answers.

Bang on the money.

Most interviews aren't fit for purpose the same shitty questions and answers.

Id wager Police recruitment/process is far more in depth and should lead to the right candidates being successful than say an interview for a job in the local warehouse stacking boxes up, no disrespect to that job.

Candidates should meet every single criteria to the highest of standards to even stand a chance and not right from the start, be allowed through, even though possibly less qualified at the expense of more suitable people and certainly not where colour/sexuality was the deciding factor because of some diversity target.

If that leads to 10 BAME candidates going through and becoming offices then great but equally so, 100 white officers or 10 LGBT.......who cares as long as they have rightfully won their places and not been handed them over others more worthy?

Whilst I get that, understand that if you have two candidates of similar skills, one of whom is called Steve Blacksmith and the other slightly better is called Dritharashtrar Chinchansure, the the chances of Mr Chinchansure getting the nod is distant, simply cos it's 'easier' not to struggle with a name. I know a lad that's resorted to calling himself 'AJ' (not even close to any resemblance of his name) cos people can't say his name!

So, yes, I get why there is SOME positive discrimination in some aspects.

I don't agree with it, but that's where we are.
My family have experience of that. My Mum’s side of the family are called Vick. They are of Polish descent. When they originally came over to Britain in the early 1900s they came here as the Witkowski (pronounced Vitkovski) family. Well that was the males, but Polish family names change depending on whether you’re a male or female so the males were called Witkowski but the females Witkowska. Not only could Mancunians not pronounce Witkowski but they also couldn’t get their heads around the surname gender changes but also the Polish name got associated discrimination too.

So my Great Grandad changed the family name to Vick.

Funny thing is my Grandad said he never liked that his Dad did that (but never changed it back) but also moaned about Gabbi Agbonlahor’s name being hard to say once “stupid bloody name, that” haha

My family have experience of that. My Mum’s side of the family are called Vick. They are of Polish descent. When they originally came over to Britain in the early 1900s they came here as the Witkowski (pronounced Vitkovski) family. Well that was the males, but Polish family names change depending on whether you’re a male or female so the males were called Witkowski but the females Witkowska. Not only could Mancunians not pronounce Witkowski but they also couldn’t get their heads around the surname gender changes but also the Polish name got associated discrimination too.

So my Great Grandad changed the family name to Vick.

Funny thing is my Grandad said he never liked that his Dad did that (but never changed it back) but also moaned about Gabbi Agbonlahor’s name being hard to say once “stupid bloody name, that” haha

Mate, I know about the gender change thing and, at first I couldn't wrap my head around it, but I just decided it wasn't something for me to think about and cracked on with it!! When I worked on the wards, at my hospital, it was troubling to understand creating NOK data for the patients, but I got past it!

It absolutely happens with non English sounding names, that people are forced to compromise their existence rather than someone take the time to learn!

It's a travesty.

People are saying give it to best applicant. I’ve seen managers recruit some right plebs, that they thought were the best applicant but weren’t. I do believe unconscious bias happens all the time with inexperienced managers.

I’ve seen team managers hire little versions of themselves. Homosexuals predominantly hire other homosexuals, and a vegan hire another vegan.

People discriminate all the time weather they know it or not. The one I see all the time is guys hiring young fit girls. I guarantee after I’ve done an interview with a female the first thing I’ll get asked of the lads in the office is “was is she fit?” Or if she was fit and they caught a climpse, I’ll get told “you’ve got to hire her”.

Seen this a lot. Same when you first start somewhere, dickheads trying to get the goss on who you think is 'fit' in the office. Same type of nobs would be the first to grass you up for a sexual allegation or conflict of interest. Best just avoiding the whole situation and don't fall into the trap I've seen young lads do in the workplace.

Whilst I get that, understand that if you have two candidates of similar skills, one of whom is called Steve Blacksmith and the other slightly better is called Dritharashtrar Chinchansure, the the chances of Mr Chinchansure getting the nod is distant, simply cos it's 'easier' not to struggle with a name. I know a lad that's resorted to calling himself 'AJ' (not even close to any resemblance of his name) cos people can't say his name!

So, yes, I get why there is SOME positive discrimination in some aspects.

I don't agree with it, but that's where we are.
Not employing people because you can't pronounce their names?

That's fucking laughable mate. Laughable.

When I worked I employed hundreds of people and they all got their jobs on merit alone. Merit. Not because they had a dodgy sounding or hard to spell name.

Not employing people because you can't pronounce their names?

That's fucking laughable mate. Laughable.

When I worked I employed hundreds of people and they all got their jobs on merit alone. Merit. Not because they had a dodgy sounding or hard to spell name.

Good for you as you must be well rounded, but just because you do better as a Human doesn't mean others do as you do.

It's a phenomena called 'unconscious bias' and it happens a lot more than you think it does.

I along with most on this thread are white and male and have no clue what it's like to be an ethnic minority.

The last three or forms I've filled in fow my work questionnaires or job applications have asked for my sexual orientation.
You should try writing 'sheep' in the box. It'll make your application stand out of the err... herd.
Unless the job is in Wales of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.