Who and what’s to blame?

Fuck me we may as well give up then? The squad went to fucking Madrid and won. We also battered the rags at the swamp in the League Cup which we also won by the way.

We also beat Chelsea at the Etihad. We lost to United at the Swamp in the league because Pep decided our best player needed resting.

Talk about OTT ffs grow a pair man.

Few signings in defence and we'll be back fighting. Reading this thread and what some people are spouting you'd think we were bottom of the league.
could just as well say that you are ignoring Liverpool winning the league, and accepting defeat. Fantastic as Liverpool have been, our points total would not normally be enough to win the league.

I think that this point should not be underestimated. Keeping the same intensity with virtually the same squad for a third season was virtually impossible. Even a more aggressive recruitment campaign might not have worked as new players need time to learn Pep's methods. We seldom if ever lose because we have been outplayed. Normally its a lack of energy or individual mistakes that trip us up. All signs of mental tiredness. To win the title this year we needed to be absolutely perfect and frankly that was never going to happen. Working for Pep is mentally exhausting.
Do you think Otamendi or Stones are good enough? Stones potentially is but we haven't seen what he is capable of for 2 seasons. It's been one injury after another. Otamemdi is too slow. He's only here because we failed to replace Kompany last Summer.

This thread will go on and on because there's loads of reasons that have contributed. The biggest one for me is that it's difficult to maintain this intensity for 3 seasons in the league whilst going there or thereabouts the full distance in three other competitions.

We will probably drop more points between now and the end of the season, most definitely after our top 4 place is secure mathematically.

Liverpool won't go away, so we need to be better. And you'd expect Chelsea, United and Spurs (who have all taken points off us this season) to have better seasons next year.

if we win the cl it means nothing in the context of failing to defend the league.

Di Matteo won it.
Liverpool won it with 4 losses in their campaign.

it’s a glossy cup tournament at its heart. Some luck can get you over the line

Go and tell that to the Sheikh.

Think OP is pretty spot on. For me, it’s the defensive issues that have been the biggest problems. Also, moving Fern from midfield where he was one of the best players in the world, to defense, hasn't worked out. Rodri has potential and is not a bad player, but hasn't been close to Fern.

Also, the tinkering with the back 4 which we knew would be a problem considering Kompany leaving and Stones going from bad to worse hasn't helped either. Then Laporte was the ultimate blow of course. Liverpool play more or less the same back 4 week in, week out, with the only rotation being the player next to VVD. That creates stability.

Offensively it's not a huge problem imo, but we have scored "too many" in games where it hasn't mattered and it's been a matter of goal margin. Some games, we didn't find ways through, and we waste too many chances in games like Spurs where we totally dominated without winning.

Overall, it's been a fantastic couple of years and I'm not overly worried. One cycle of players, starting with Yaya, is about to end, and a new one has to take over.

I think we have been hampered about uncertainty regarding FFP and UEFA and if CAS throws the case out of the window (which I think will happen), I'm sure we won't be afraid opening the cheque book. We have undoubtedly had the greatest team during the 10's and sometimes it's easier to rebuild and play catch-up which Klopp has managed to do with young players, and now they have finally arrived. If we manage to get young and hungry players that will learn from the more established ones and sort out our defensive frailties, I'm sure we'll be up there again next year.

It's pretty good being a City supporter after all, and there is more to compete for this season already. I'm sure most people would accept a Liverpool PL trophy if we get two domestic cup titles and a CL trophy.

There's a valid argument about the squad struggling to go again. But this argument again simply shows the fault of the hierarchy. After winning back to back, its the time to refresh and shake things up. Did we do that? No.

We can’t win the league every year.

we could still win all other trophies though. Some of our fans have become too spoilt, as the last few years have been amazing

injuries VAR and Pep rotating. any one of those would effect us. all three meant we stood no chance. Liverpool knew they were being assisted and it showed.

1. Arrogance
2. Complacency

We lost Vinny - no problem, Stones and Otamendi can rotate. We are that good.
We lost Sane - no problem, we have plenty of cover. We are that good.
We lost Laporte - no problem, Fern can drop into centre back for a whole season. We are that good.
Our back up right back wants to leave - no problem, we will spend £60m on another whilst ignoring more pressing concerns. We are that good.

We thought we were untouchable. On the one hand it is understandable that 198 points, a centurions season and a treble season will do that to you. It is less understandable when you know that we needed 98 points to win the title by a point over the European Champions and therefore there is next to no room for error.

We can point at VAR etc etc but the fact is, our end of season points tally this season wont even come close to a regular title-winning total. This team should be 90 points every season. If someone else gets 91+, you just have to hold your hands up and say fair enough. For this side, with Pep in charge to muster 80ish points is not even close to being good enough.

These players need to take a long hard look at themselves after this and decide whether or not they are up for the challenge because if this season has taught us anything...we aren't THAT good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.