Who and what’s to blame?

It reminds me a bit of 2015/16 and the way that unfolded.

There have been far to many average signings since 2016 and the majority big money signing have generally dissapointed since then. There is really only Laporte, Ederson, Walker, Sane and Bernardo who were definite improvements, with 2 injured most of the season and the other 3 having dips in form.

Our record against top 6 speaks volumes and should be ringing alarm bells regarding the future[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that, we can flat track bully anyone outside of the big six (which you would now have Wolves in there rather than Arsenal). If you don’t go to places like Old Trafford, Stamford bridge and White Hart Lane and win, don’t expect to be crowned champions.

Not so much has gone wrong.

Small drop off in intensity, Vin gone, Laporte’s injury, Sergio a yard slower

The bullshit media storm around the Bernardo / Mendy tweet also robbed last season’s best player of his mojo for several months.

We’ll be back, we’re built to last.

This game was a microcasm of our whole season, ability to completely outplay any team in the world but also the inability to concentrate and control counters. I thought Fern was quite good in this game but i think the transitions is where we have failed massively this season, he has more awareness and was already intregrated so to lose him and move him back to CB imo has been a big issue. Not saying Rodri and Gundo aren't good there, but they're just different and don't smell the danger and get there quick enough. When losing the ball, we are 2 passes away from the opposition being in on goal, that's a HUGE problem.
This, but would like to add our inability to create chances. I can only remember the one that hit the post last night from open play. Still lets go and win the champions league just to take the gloss off the dippers season.

Just not good enough in the league
Not replacing Vinny and Laporte getting injured early on my main concern.
Replacing club legends is going to be hard.

After watching the rerun of the Blackburn promotion game the other night, it offers a sense of perspective.

Twenty Years and Eleven trophies later, we've already retained the League Cup, and are probably going to finish 2nd in the Premier League. We've also got a decent chance of retaining the FA Cup, and regardless of how we fare in the Champions League, we've recently beaten Real Madrid (who actually won the competition in 1999-2000) in their own stadium.

What went wrong, and who's to blame?
We got spoilt!

One interesting thought is how many points do we think will be required to win the league next season. The rags used to win it regularly with low 80's. Getting 90+ was very rare. 95 The record before we beat that the last 2 years and Liverpool on for similar. We could finish with 84. In old money we would be in with a chance with 84 again, one more win and 87 wins it most years. Or is 95+ the new normal where we need 10 more points next year.

I suspect it will be less next year. Less than 90. If we can keep Laporte and Stones healthy then we have a good chance.

This is sort of how I've been looking at it. Leicester won it with 81 points (23 wins). I think Conte getting Chelsea to 30 wins in a season was a first in 2017 and then we've had two years of 32 wins, which unless Klopp plays a load of kids so that they get PL medals you would think they'd surpass. Generally if you get to 90 points you've won it and if you get to 85 and don't win it you'd be considered unlucky. I think we'll probably get 80ish this season, so you can't really say we've been unlucky whether Liverpool win another game this season or not.

It's difficult to know what you would have to get next year but I don't think it will be close to the three figure mark.

Not so much has gone wrong.

Small drop off in intensity, Vin gone, Laporte’s injury, Sergio a yard slower

The bullshit media storm around the Bernardo / Mendy tweet also robbed last season’s best player of his mojo for several months.

We’ll be back, we’re built to last.

I do wonder if the feeding frenzy of the media on the court case with Uefa has had an effect on some players. Get that sorted and be back next season with a big fuck you.

We needed to be pretty much perfect every game to stand a chance this year and on far too many occasions we were not. Too many individual errors in both boxes cost us the title this season, nothing more, nothing less.
Even without missing players through injury or leaving, the team put out on a weekly basis was good enough to win their games. Its a shitter, but its football.

After watching the rerun of the Blackburn promotion game the other night, it offers a sense of perspective.

Twenty Years and Eleven trophies later, we've already retained the League Cup, and are probably going to finish 2nd in the Premier League. We've also got a decent chance of retaining the FA Cup, and regardless of how we fare in the Champions League, we've recently beaten Real Madrid (who actually won the competition in 1999-2000) in their own stadium.

What went wrong, and who's to blame?
We got spoilt!

yes!

Who’s to blame and what went wrong? I’d go the appointment of Alan Ball and the car crash that followed. Pretty much everything since, even if it resulted in relegation at Stoke, has been progress

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.