Who and what’s to blame?

You can’t win the title every season, retaining it last year was some achievement 3 in a row is equalling all time records. The concentration hasn’t been there all season and a lot of silly goals have lost us games. The dynamic of the midfield has changed with Rodri coming in, Fernandinho would set the tempo in how we would get the ball back and grind the other team down by keep attacking them.

We don’t know what the transfer activity will be like due to covid but parts of this squad needs breaking up and moving on Bravo,Silva and Sane we know are gone. I would imagine Otamendi, Stones and Cancelo will be finding pastures new too.

Lots has been said already but Liverpool were better in 3 areas

- defending And leadership at the back.

- turning possession into shots on target. I would like us next season to turn winning possession back to shooting quicker. There was a great example of this yesterday when we quickly played from the back to sterling hitting the post. We don’t do this enough.

- VAR , which was an utter shit show throughout the season.

Now that it’s official, we’ve not lost our title, more failed to defend it. That’s the tragic part, we never turned up this season.

where did it go wrong?

1. Var. yes, it shafted is a lot in the early days...but...I think the club let it get to them a lot each and every time and would dwell on it and fail to pick themselves up quickly enough.

2. Defense. Fullbacks have been terrible all season IMO. Swapping Danilo was a terrible decision. Walker and Stones seem content to have won so much that they stepped backwards. Mendy just hasn’t worked out and the way Pep managed Angelino was disgraceful imo. Decent player left on the bench all season only to be given his debut at anfield vs salah. He set him up to fail imo and didn’t want him brought back from the start.

Laporte was a massive loss, unfortunate.

3. Fernandinho. This to me was Pep’s worst ever managerial move. He took a world class DM out of his position to play bang average at CB. So now we’re weak in two positions rather than CB. It was clear Rodri wasn’t ready for the amount of games he was given, Fernandinho could have taken so much pressure off the back line had he not been moved to CB and left there. I mean he wasn’t even rotated to DM when Stones and Otamendi were fit.

4. Bernardo. Failed to kick on this year for me, certainly not up to last years standards on a consistent basis. Hopefully that comes next season.

So...your thoughts? Where did it go wrong for us this year?
Spot on mate,you can’t really say much more than that.

Losing 8 games in a season with that team is a disgrace. We cannot be in a position again where we are so massively reliable on one player, ie Laporte. Liverpool knew exactly what their weakness was (CB and GK) and fixed it by spending huge amounts to get the very best replacements. We will probably be chasing Isco again in September and making do with Otamendi and Stones. So very frustrating....

I’d add to point four that it was Bernardo and Sterling, who both went off form straight after the tweet and Gomez incidents. The issue was further compounded with having no Sane to call upon either.

If there is any truth in the pair of them going to shit on the back of a load of bullshit it shows poor mental weakness on both parts. The kind that would explain how Sterling bottles so many sitters against utd and Liverpool or in key moments like last night when a 5 yard pass would result in a goal.

Losing 8 games in a season with that team is a disgrace. We cannot be in a position again where we are so massively reliable on one player, ie Laporte. Liverpool knew exactly what their weakness was (CB and GK) and fixed it by spending huge amounts to get the very best replacements. We will probably be chasing Isco again in September and making do with Otamendi and Stones. So very frustrating....

We had injuries to key players, they didnt.

Both clubs addressed what they needed.

No one is to blame.

We had 2 years of 198 points and 5 trophies, you can’t continue at that pace forever and inevitably we’ve not won the league every season.

We’ve won a trophy already this season, have a great chance to win two more and if we do, it’ll go down as arguably our greatest season ever.

6 trophies in 2.5 seasons is immense, the football we play is immense.

Sure, losing 8 games is poor by our standard but great teams burn out all the time in football, Liverpool aren’t going to be this good forever either.

Now that it’s official, we’ve not lost our title, more failed to defend it. That’s the tragic part, we never turned up this season.

where did it go wrong?

1. Var. yes, it shafted is a lot in the early days...but...I think the club let it get to them a lot each and every time and would dwell on it and fail to pick themselves up quickly enough.

2. Defense. Fullbacks have been terrible all season IMO. Swapping Danilo was a terrible decision. Walker and Stones seem content to have won so much that they stepped backwards. Mendy just hasn’t worked out and the way Pep managed Angelino was disgraceful imo. Decent player left on the bench all season only to be given his debut at anfield vs salah. He set him up to fail imo and didn’t want him brought back from the start.

Laporte was a massive loss, unfortunate.

3. Fernandinho. This to me was Pep’s worst ever managerial move. He took a world class DM out of his position to play bang average at CB. So now we’re weak in two positions rather than CB. It was clear Rodri wasn’t ready for the amount of games he was given, Fernandinho could have taken so much pressure off the back line had he not been moved to CB and left there. I mean he wasn’t even rotated to DM when Stones and Otamendi were fit.

4. Bernardo. Failed to kick on this year for me, certainly not up to last years standards on a consistent basis. Hopefully that comes next season.

So...your thoughts? Where did it go wrong for us this year?

Maybe when we went and won another trophy. & are still willing to fight for another two.
We never learn do we! Disgusting that we couldn’t defend the PL for the third year in a row - any other club would

Whilst Fern has undoubtedly been exposed at CB, I highly doubt a 35 year old is the answer to our midfield either. He shouldn’t be in the team at all. That he is, is a huge red flag on our recruitment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.