-dabz- said:Try and stay away from this shit, easier said than done as it's in everything.
<a class="postlink" href="http://aspartame.mercola.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://aspartame.mercola.com/</a>
Ive never been able to eat anything first thing in the morning.
I wish I could.
Agreed. It's horrible stuff and what it can do to your body.
Originally it was allowed by the FDA for use in products that weren't heated above a certain temperature due to the methanol component of aspartame. Now it's allowed in foods that are heated well above 80C (allowed in the 90s I think, I can't quite remember). Methanol > formaldehyde, which is very poisonous. The higher the heat, the higher the methanol > formaldehyde.
As explained by dabz's link, the recommended allowance of methanol is 7.8mg/day and one drink sweetened with aspartame contains 56mg of methanol (which as described is broken down into formaldehyde).
I used to drink up to 4 litres of sugar free coke/pepsi a day and I used to eat 2 packets of sugar free chewing gum a day. It was making me ill.
I was consuming approximately 670mg of methanol a day, instead of the recommended 7.8mg.
I stopped drinking/eating all things with aspartame. I was like an addict, I craved it so badly, I felt shitter than I did when I was drinking/eating it. It probably took a few days for it to get out of my system but I've not had any since and I'm no longer ill anymore; no more migranes, mood swings, cravings for more Pepsi/Coke and unbelievable tiredness.
Read dabz's link and here's the Wikipedia entry: <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame</a>