Who is currently the best free kick taker in the league?

steviemc said:
I was looking at some data, and was quite surprised to see how few goals are scored from direct free kicks. Bear in mind this covers the PL from 2008 to 2012.

5ydywx.jpg

Thanks for this. I suspected we are top or near the top but the conversion rate is lower than I expected. Shows how difficult it is to score one

steviemc said:
I was looking at some data, and was quite surprised to see how few goals are scored from direct free kicks. Bear in mind this covers the PL from 2008 to 2012.

5ydywx.jpg
Not surprised by the data. I remember making a similar point when people said that Roberto Carlos was overrated as a free kick taker. Despite scoring a lot of 'ugly' deflected free kicks or missing by miles he scored more than the best. At his time at Madrid from memory he scored more than Beckham.

Anyway if we are talking about direct free kicks would go for Suarez. If we include all types of free kicks including delivery into the box then it has to be Gerrard or Baines.

supercrystal7 said:
steviemc said:

5ydywx.jpg
Not surprised by the data. I remember making a similar point when people said that Roberto Carlos was overrated as a free kick taker. Despite scoring a lot of 'ugly' deflected free kicks or missing by miles he scored more than the best. At his time at Madrid from memory he scored more than Beckham.

Anyway if we are talking about direct free kicks would go for Suarez. If we include all types of free kicks including delivery into the box then it has to be Gerrard or Baines.

There's direct free kicks, and "direct" free kicks,! In that when we have free kicks where we are most definitely shooting to score, and not putting it in the danger zone , I think we've been very successful, Yaya and Kolarov, and one other, possibly Nasri? Or was it Negredo? Have scored free kicks so far this season? Whatever, we are spreading the love with goals all through the team, and not just relying on a single player, a la Suarez, if he gets injured or suspended, Liverpool will be in trouble, which is likely at some point this season

Bewar3them00n said:
supercrystal7 said:
steviemc said:

5ydywx.jpg

There's direct free kicks, and "direct" free kicks,! In that when we have free kicks where we are most definitely shooting to score, and not putting it in the danger zone , I think we've been very successful, Yaya and Kolarov, and one other, possibly Nasri? Or was it Negredo? Have scored free kicks so far this season? Whatever, we are spreading the love with goals all through the team, and not just relying on a single player, a la Suarez, if he gets injured or suspended, Liverpool will be in trouble, which is likely at some point this season
Yes should have been more clear and said direct goal scoring free kicks. Not as if Liverpool are lacking options though with Gerrard and Agger when they are going for goal.

What surprised me most when I looked at these stats, was that it made me think of how excited I get when a direct free kick is being taken, with the strong belief that there is a damn good chance of a goal being scored from this position, when in reality (or at least statistically) there isn't.

It's not going to spoil my enjoyment though. I'll still believe!

steviemc said:
What surprised me most when I looked at these stats, was that it made me think of how excited I get when a direct free kick is being taken, with the strong belief that there is a damn good chance of a goal being scored from this position, when in reality (or at least statistically) there isn't.

Hope springs eternal, but when you consider that great free kick takers like Pirlo/Del Piero (both with exceptionally long careers) only have around 22 free kicks in the league.

Always thought 5 free kick goals in the league means your team are doing pretty well.

steviemc said:

Greater than a 1 in 10 chance, YAYa is on fire this season thanks to Sameer

steviemc said:

you want to see the stats from corners, its something like 1 in 45, although I'm led to believe they have a higher success rate when you ignore tim Cahill at the back post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.