Who is the best footballer 2 come through R youth set-up?

Re: Who is the best footballer to come threw our youth set-up?

danburge82 said:
A lot of people have said Lake, now he was in my very early years as a blue (started going in 1989 when i was 6) so cant really remember all that much of him!

Was he REALLY that good!? Really!? or have a lot of City fans do what City fans do best and overestimate too much!?

If you were looking for a modern day equivalent ability wise I would say Steve Gerrard (although Lake was a lot more graceful on the ball). The galling thing is if he got the injury today he'd be out for 6 months tops, but it finished him.

Re: Who is the best footballer to come threw our youth set-up?

bluegorton said:
danburge82 said:
A lot of people have said Lake, now he was in my very early years as a blue (started going in 1989 when i was 6) so cant really remember all that much of him!

Was he REALLY that good!? Really!? or have a lot of City fans do what City fans do best and overestimate too much!?

If you were looking for a modern day equivalent ability wise I would say Steve Gerrard (although Lake was a lot more graceful on the ball). The galling thing is if he got the injury today he'd be out for 6 months tops, but it finished him.

I don't really remember Lake, but funnily enough he was the first person I thought of when I read the OP. I would say Ireland, if he has another couple of seasons like last one. SWP I think was awesome back in the day but I don't think he's as good as before he went to Chelski.

Lake didn't have a best position, a bit like Ian Brightwell, a bit of a jack of all trades. Most of his football came in Division 2, only one real top flight season. It is hard to judge, but I think SWP is better than any 80s youth players.

Edgehill had a similar start to his career making Venables' England squad then a bad injury, then not the player he was when returning, and look what happened to him. A lot of the 86 Youth Cup team looked like world beaters in 1989 but ended up playing lower leagues/finished when they should have been at their peak at age 27/28. Only Hinch improved in his mid 20s.

Stan Bowles made it bigger at Q.P.R than our place, but was a great player and should of won the league with Q.P.R when they had Sexton as manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.