Who is Your Favourite Ancient Roman?

urban genie said:
Vespasian

built the Colosseum. was quite fair minded towards his critics and taxed piss taking literally
Vespasian for me too.Also invented the scooter.

Barcon said:
GrumpyFrog said:
You're all messing about: it has to be the man they called Optimus Princeps, the one and only Trajan.

Perhaps the greatest of the imperial commanders, instigator of many domestic improvements, and ruled with great popularity over a peaceful (excluding the Dacians etc) and prosperous empire. His feats as a part-time stone mason also continue to impress to this day.

rome-trajans-column-640x480.jpg

I think i've been there. Is it the place in the middle of Rome wth all them one legged cats?

Trajan's Forum, yes. It's in real danger from cars now, and there's a serious risk of losing it completely. The Italians are absolutely bloody hopeless at protecting their own historical monuments.

For emperors, Julian and Constantine.

Constantine's achievements (for me) outstrip any other, whilst Julian is one of the greatest 'what-ifs' of Roman history. Sadly Roman history after around 180 remains unfashionable so they barely get a look in.

Same for Ammianus Marcellinus, who rivals any of the golden age historians - but modern tastes in history ignores the later empire.

I'll stop now before going on a rant.

leithblue said:
For emperors, Julian and Constantine.

Constantine's achievements (for me) outstrip any other, whilst Julian is one of the greatest 'what-ifs' of Roman history. Sadly Roman history after around 180 remains unfashionable so they barely get a look in.

Same for Ammianus Marcellinus, who rivals any of the golden age historians - but modern tastes in history ignores the later empire.

I'll stop now before going on a rant.

Don't stop.

Not sure Blue Moon has ever hosted a rant about a 2000 (or so) year old dynasty.

You could find yourself in the hall of dame if you play this one right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.