Who is Your Favourite Ancient Roman?

chabal said:
leithblue said:
For emperors, Julian and Constantine.

Constantine's achievements (for me) outstrip any other, whilst Julian is one of the greatest 'what-ifs' of Roman history. Sadly Roman history after around 180 remains unfashionable so they barely get a look in.

Same for Ammianus Marcellinus, who rivals any of the golden age historians - but modern tastes in history ignores the later empire.

I'll stop now before going on a rant.

Don't stop.

Not sure Blue Moon has ever hosted a rant about a 2000 (or so) year old dynasty.

You could find yourself in the hall of dame if you play this one right.
A millennium + rant love it, who's the dame?

leithblue said:

Constantine's achievements (for me) outstrip any other, whilst Julian is one of the greatest 'what-ifs' of Roman history. Sadly Roman history after around 180 remains unfashionable so they barely get a look in.

Same for Ammianus Marcellinus, who rivals any of the golden age historians - but modern tastes in history ignores the later empire.

I've learnt that one of the best things you can do in a room full of Classicists is ask when the Roman Empire was disbanded then take a step back and watch the carnage

Damocles said:
leithblue said:

I've learnt that one of the best things you can do in a room full of Classicists is ask when the Roman Empire was disbanded then take a step back and watch the carnage

The Pope has probably got something to say about this :-)

Damocles said:
leithblue said:

In my mind it happend over a few hundred years, they spread their wings to far, it's something that's been repeated more than once.

Marcus Aurelius (the only Roman Emperor to still have a book in print and very good it is too) and somewhat controversially Josephus a bit of a turncoat but left behind some wonderful historical records of a very turbulent time

Ducado said:
Marcus Aurelius (the only Roman Emperor to still have a book in print and very good it is too) and somewhat controversially Josephus a bit of a turncoat but left behind some wonderful historical records of a very turbulent time
I don't know much about Josephus, I'll google after hunting.

Ducado said:

And the penny drops Freddie..... This infatuation of portraying 'self' and how it is measured against others..... Anyone who has dabbled in his work from meditations would have you down as a follower...

Good chronicles though (:

Constantine was a fraud by the way!!!

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
Ducado said:

And the penny drops Freddie..... This infatuation of portraying 'self' and how it is measured against others..... Anyone who has dabbled in his work from meditations would have you down as a follower...

Good chronicles though (:

Constantine was a fraud by the way!!!

“You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone.” ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Is a particular favourite of mine

Ducado said:

Josephus was a Roman in the same way Lord Haw Haw was a German...;-)

Herod was a bit of ****, I know not Roman, but he sucked roman cock so they let him be a bit of a ****

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.