Who now then?...

I agree it will give these lads more game time which is a good thing.

My only concern is if we get turned over in a CL semi due to lack of a proper DM then Pep will not be a happy man.
Fernandinho and Gundogan will hopefully be enough

the one bit that worries me about stones is receiving the ball with his back to play in the central midfield area....watch Dihno etc and they have the technical ability and awareness to turn out of trouble....but does stones....Pep talked about it just now and said he isn't sure about it as he hasn't really tried it in training.
No doubt stones has the other attributes necessary however
You're spot on. And as much as I love him. It's a no for me playing john as DM. Let the kid fully develop into his defensive role. Momentum wise he is on a roll. Why on earth would we start fucking with that. I love pep but i hope he's playing games because hes allaover the shop on this. One minute were trying to bring someone in the next weve got enough Then it's douglas luis subject to permit. Now John stones when last month all the talk of jorghinio s press resistant abilities were crucial to who plays dm. Like I said I'm full on team pep, but to city and pep don't take the piss out of the fans.

I'm not joking here but Benjamin Mendy could cover (providing he can stay injury free)

Stones may well turn out to be an able midfield option, but it’ll be completely different to what he’s used to playing centre half. Yea he’s good on the ball and has a decent passing range, but receiving the ball with his back to the game and being pressed from behind will be something he’s never experienced before and he could struggle with. Not overly convinced he’s right for the role, but also not worried about the lack of Dinho cover and think it’s being blown way out of proportion just because of the Liverpool games last season. Gundogan proved he can play there, and in some big games too (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Napoli).
I don’t know why there’s so much doubt in his ability among this fan base.
Delph, Zinchenko, Danilo can all fill in there too, and we already know Peps planning on using a back three more often now Mendys back. We possibly wouldn’t even need a natural defensive midfielder in a system like that.
This is without even thinking about the kids who could be given a chance like Gomes & Luiz.
Also worth mentioning all this is hypothetical and Dinho could well have another injury free, top class season.

Wish people would stop panicking. We have enough.

Don`t think he has the ball control or passing abilities to play there, but it`s an interesting suggestion

He is deceptively good on the ball and has been used as a DM before he joined City. It would be more of a stop gap though

Mahrez is a great signing but another window gone without solving our biggest issue..a DM.It's clear that Pep isn't happy with the situation there and has made it known to the management..An issue running into the January window now since the Fred chase..A whole calendar year.
He's just said on Sky that he doesn't like playing Gundogan there because he wants him as an 8 as he has a 'smell' for arriving in the box according to him.The options Stones,Delph or whoever is just him trying to deflect and downplay the issue and being 'forced' to accept the situation as it is although less than ideal the way he wants it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.