Who should replace Riyad Mahrez?

In reality we have Foden and Bernardo who will also be doubling as 2 of our 4 eights along with KDB and Kovacic. If we suffer any type of injuries we are exposed. Alvarez is not a proven option out wide at this time and the other 3 are to varying degrees nowhere near the level of being ready to play sustained minutes for us. If, for example Foden becomes the starter on the right and Bernardo starts in midfield along with KDB we are left with no proven depth behind Foden or Grealish and just Kovacic as depth for the 8 and the 6 as Phillips has become very worrisome even for me. Basically, we have 8 proven players in our front 6 if you include Alvarez as proven the others being KDB, Bernardo, Rodri, Haaland, Grealish, Foden, and Kovacic.

The truth of the matter is we are at the very least 3 legitimate players short in terms of playing 60 or so games and achieving the goals Pep and the club set forth. At least 1 wide man, 1 attacking mid, and another DM type.

This isn't a sky is falling call to arms flapping by me. I believe when put into any reasonable footballing context we are paper thin at this moment and not equipped to sustain deep runs in all comps as has been our norm under Pep.

In contrast our 2018-19 squad which won the domestic quad and was basically cheated out of a possible CL title had 11 legit guys in the front 6, Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Jesus, KDB, Gundo, D Silva, Bernardo, Mahrez. Ferna, and Foden.

All that being said I'm still expecting us to move for at least 1 wide forward/AM type (ideally 2) and possibly moving Phillips out and bringing in someone else whether it be a DM or another CM using Kovacic as Rodri's primary back up. If for whatever reason we decide to go with what we have currently I'll be very surprised.

Totally understand this feeling. I've got faith the kids are good enough in most matches, but if forced to play them in tough matches it could be an issue.

I dont feel we necessarily need much though. If Phillips was good enough i feel like we'd have enough, but it's the possible need for Bernardo/Foden to move central that makes us look a little light.

Totally understand this feeling. I've got faith the kids are good enough in most matches, but if forced to play them in tough matches it could be an issue.

I dont feel we necessarily need much though. If Phillips was good enough i feel like we'd have enough, but it's the possible need for Bernardo/Foden to move central that makes us look a little light.
I guess I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why we wouldn't move to at the very least bring in one experienced high level wide player to replace Mahrez who IMO is exactly that...

I guess I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why we wouldn't move to at the very least bring in one experienced high level wide player to replace Mahrez who IMO is exactly that...

Mahrez was a genuine big match player, a game changer so many times, particularly in the CL.

That's exactly why Pep wanted to keep him.

That's exactly why we need to replace him, like for like.

I reckon we'll spend big on a winger in the next two weeks.

I am afraid Mahrez is irreplaceable right now, Pep kept it stoic in his press briefings, but what he said about his transfer was kick in the teeth for us. Didn't we just give him a contract extension?

I see very few high class wingers on the market now.. that means you would have to pay over the top for them.
I´ll go through some of the suggestions Ive seen on here the last few weeks.

Raphinha - Barca losing Dembele will make Barca not wanna lose him as the would have accepted previously. Price probably well above Barcas purchasing price now. £55/€67m, would probably take £65/€75m now post Dembele.
Leao - would take a massive offer after his new contract, probably post 120m£ or so, I dont see it as feasible after he signed that deal that made them settle with his Sporting FIFA transfer debt as well. Wrong side as well.
Sané - Has Bayern or Sane even shown any inclination to let him go.. anyone of the Bayern wingers will be tough to get as they are not really on the market (cos Mané left today as well). If he pushes I see him as most likely out of Bayern though.
Coman - I dont see leaving, injury issues and would have a big price-tag, 70m+. City could try though, Bayern might think hes too injury-prone.
Gnabry - after he signed his new deal all the murmurings has stopped and it would take something big to change that.
Kvaratskhelia - Would take 150m+ and on the wrong wing
Diaby - Went to Villa
Dembele - going to PSG and injury prone.

On the market..
Chiesa - Could be gettable since Juve has indicated that him and Vlahovic are sellable assets.. big injury though and I dont feel he is anywhere near back to that level yet. 50m€? hard to call this ones price. At his best on the other side.
Brahim Diaz - Does not really fit into Reals system or starting eleven rotational players.. its really not as his best as a winger though and has shown zero indication that he wants to leave, will probably want a chance at Real this season before that. 40m€?

Younger not at this reputation level yet:
Olise - probably gettable, but not really proven yet even how much potential he has really.. 50+m£
Nico Williams - not good enough yet, but has not signed a new contract yet and has massive potential in my eyes, can play both wings and is gettable for a cheap price until he sings a new deal, no ione really knows what he wants though, £42m release clause.
Chukwueze - Just gone to Milan.
Yeremy Pino - Not at the required level and I dont know if he will get there.
Barcola - dont know enough about Barcola, except that he will cost more than PSGs 30m€ bid. prob like 45/40m£
Rodrigo Riquelme - Still at Atleti, not getting a lot minutes in pre-season though and then as a wingback.. would love the chance.
Eze - Would love Eze but I dont see him on the wing, inverted in some way then. 50m+

My alternative targets, just shooting, dont take it that seriously
Luiz Henrique
Isi Palazón
Kubo will be pricey
Berardi might be a dark horse.. not one of my favourites though. wants to leave
Luis Sinisterra - My favourite one of the Leeds winger boys, I see a good future. Injury prone thoguh and on the wrong side.

Next summer..

Last edited:
Mahrez did a great job for us, but I don't think he was "exceptional". Just a very good player in an exceptional team. The team raises the output, it raised his goalscoring, it will raise others..
You only to have look at his stats at Leicester to see this isn’t true:

Champs league:

Leicester - 9 games - 4 goals & 2 assists
City - 46 games - 16 goals & 14 assists

Prem

Leicester - 139 games - 39 goals & 28 assists
city - 145 games - 43 goals & 37 assists

Mahrez was absolutely exceptional for us and Leicester. He is a true world class winger and we will sorely miss him imo. If any of the 3 youth players have half the career of mahrez they have done incredibly well.

I see very few high class wingers on the market now.. that means you would have to pay over the top for them.
I´ll go through some of the suggestions Ive seen on here the last few weeks.

Raphinha - Barca losing Dembele will make Barca not wanna lose him as the would have accepted previously. Price probably well above Barcas purchasing price now. £55/€67m, would probably take £65/€75m now post Dembele.
Leao - would take a massive offer after his new contract, probably post 120m£ or so, I dint see it as feasible after he signed that deal that made them dream with his Sporting FIFA transfer debt as well. Wrong side as well.
Sané - Has Bayern or Sane even shown any inclination to let him go.. anyone of the Bayern wingers will be tough to get as they are not really on the market. If he pushes I see him as most likely out of Bayern though.
Coman - I dont see leaving, injury issues and would have a big price-tag, 80m+
Gnabry - after he signed his new deal all the murmurings has stopped and it would take something big to change that.
Kvaratskhelia - Would take 150m+ and on the wrong wing
Diaby - Went to Villa

On the market..
Chiesa - Could be gettable since Juve has indicated that him and Vlahovic are sellable assets.. big injury though and I dont feel he is anywhere near back to that level yet. 50m€? hard to call this ones price. At his best on the other side.
Brahim Diaz - Does not really fit into Reals system or starting eleven rotational players.. its really not as his best as a winger though and has shown zero indication hat he wants to leave, will probably wants a chance at Real this season before that. 40m€?

Younger not at this reputation level yet:
Olise - probably gettable, but not really proven yet even how much potential he has really.. 50+m£
Nico Williams - not good enough yet, but has not signed a new contract yet and has massive potential in my eyes, can play both wings and is gettable for a cheap price until he sings a new deal, no ione really knows what he wants though, £42m release clause.
Chukwueze - Just gone to Milan.

Next summer..
Cheisa has turned down offers, wants to stay at Juve

It would be less of an issue if pep brought the kids on in games that were already won - for more than 2 minutes - so they could perform better when needed from the start.

You only to have look at his stats at Leicester to see this isn’t true:

Champs league:

Leicester - 9 games - 4 goals & 2 assists
City - 46 games - 16 goals & 14 assists

Prem

Leicester - 139 games - 39 goals & 28 assists
city - 145 games - 43 goals & 37 assists

Mahrez was absolutely exceptional for us and Leicester. He is a true world class winger and we will sorely miss him imo. If any of the 3 youth players have half the career of mahrez they have done incredibly well.
The only player I can think of out there that maybe available to replicate those figures and step straight in is Kane

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.