Who should replace Riyad Mahrez?

One lesson I've learned from the results of these past few years is that a team may not always find the perfect fit when they need it, but as long as they remain patient, they will eventually discover the most reasonable solution. Initially, we didn't sign a suitable replacement for Kompany, which led to paying the price of losing titles in subsequent seasons. However, in the end, we acquired Ruben Dias, who helped us achieve historic results in the following years. We also didn't sign a player to directly replace Fernandinho (even though he was still with the team at the time), but later, we got Rodri. The same situation happened with David Silva and Aguero. Fortunately, we managed to bring Haaland back home, even though it meant playing a season without a striker. Then, in the absence of Silva, we developed Foden and brought in Grealish. They are completely different types of players compared to David Silva, but they succeeded in helping the team create historic achievements after his departure.

With my limited knowledge, I'm unsure who can directly replace Mahrez now, and I don't believe there's someone who can truly do that. Therefore, I think the team will solve this issue in a different way or find the answer at a more suitable time. After all, what matters most is doing the right thing, not just doing it quickly.
Over the years iv learnt the best teams evolve over the season. Try this, try that, see which players have the hunger... Up until January or February then the business starts.
And all the way through that the wet-the-bed fans lose their shit. Every season.

In the usual pattern, it will be next summer before we sign a replacement.

What he meant by that is he thinks this is the one we will try first. He also said he thinks if Chelsea does want him at all costs, it’s unlikely this is a player we’d go crazy for. Just a lot of conjecture
Mhm… city just doesn’t leak anything on possible targets anymore… they seems to be more open to the sales.

Regardless you gotta replace 28 g/a winger :/

I think the way we play, the domination we have in most games, there will be opportunities for any of them. Goals will still come. Maybe everyone else will just get a couple more.

The best thing about Mahrez for me, well after his first touch, is that he had an ability to forget something that didnt work. If he cut inside and curled it wide, it wouldn't stop him trying it again the next time if the opportunity was there. As long as whoever comes in has the same mindset they'll kill it. For me Palmer and Bobb have huge ability - if they didn't, City wouldn't even be considering keeping them around. A run in the team (4 games or so) for one of them could see them step up. But I'd start with Foden out there and I'd expect him to get 20-25 this season provided he stays fit.
We have no idea what the club plan is in terms of Palmer, Bobb and Mcatee, in terms of Palmer I am certain he will be playing his football in a different shirt this season.

Mahrez produced a lot of goals and assists , they need to be replaced.

I’ve seen the suggestion that some would like to replace the 28 g/an experienced winger with two wingers with a total of 1 g/a in the league, one of which being injured 24/7.

That’s worth a laugh.

We have no idea what the club plan is in terms of Palmer, Bobb and Mcatee, in terms of Palmer I am certain he will be playing his football in a different shirt this season.

Mahrez produced a lot of goals and assists , they need to be replaced.

Tbh with the 3 you mention, I've never really seen it with McAtee, I'm not sure about Palmer but Bobb looks special to me.

Every club needs a pathway for players who may be special and that can happen when older players leave.

I've no idea how highly the club rates those 3, but if they think of any of them very highly then you don't bring someone else in and block their progress when the opportunity is there.

Mahrez did a great job for us, but I don't think he was "exceptional". Just a very good player in an exceptional team. The team raises the output, it raised his goalscoring, it will raise others.

Personally I'd prefer to see what the kids can do. We have Foden, Bernardo and then Palmer, Bobb, Alvarez and even McAtee to play out there. It's actually more than enough.

There would be no point buying another player unless they can hit the ground and produce from day 1, and I don't see that player out there. If others disagree that's fine, I can get that.

Last edited:
Tbh with the 3 you mention, I've never really seen it with McAtee, I'm not sure about Palmer but Bobb looks special to me.

Every club needs a pathway for players who may be special and that can happen when older players leave.

I've no idea how highly the club rates those 3, but if they think of any of them very highly then you don't bring someone else in and block their progress when the opportunity is there.

Mahrez did a great job for us, but I don't think he was "exceptional". Just a very good player in an exceptional team. The team raises the output, it raised his goalscoring, it will raise others.

Personally I'd prefer to see what the kids can do. We have Foden, Bernardo and then Palmer, Bobb, Alvarez and even McAtee to play out there. It's actually more than enough.

There would be no point buying another player unless they can hit the ground and produce from day 1, and I don't see that player out there. If others disagree that's fine, I can get that.
In reality we have Foden and Bernardo who will also be doubling as 2 of our 4 eights along with KDB and Kovacic. If we suffer any type of injuries we are exposed. Alvarez is not a proven option out wide at this time and the other 3 are to varying degrees nowhere near the level of being ready to play sustained minutes for us. If, for example Foden becomes the starter on the right and Bernardo starts in midfield along with KDB we are left with no proven depth behind Foden or Grealish and just Kovacic as depth for the 8 and the 6 as Phillips has become very worrisome even for me. Basically, we have 8 proven players in our front 6 if you include Alvarez as proven the others being KDB, Bernardo, Rodri, Haaland, Grealish, Foden, and Kovacic.

The truth of the matter is we are at the very least 3 legitimate players short in terms of playing 60 or so games and achieving the goals Pep and the club set forth. At least 1 wide man, 1 attacking mid, and another DM type.

This isn't a sky is falling call to arms flapping by me. I believe when put into any reasonable footballing context we are paper thin at this moment and not equipped to sustain deep runs in all comps as has been our norm under Pep.

In contrast our 2018-19 squad which won the domestic quad and was basically cheated out of a possible CL title had 11 legit guys in the front 6, Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Jesus, KDB, Gundo, D Silva, Bernardo, Mahrez. Ferna, and Foden.

All that being said I'm still expecting us to move for at least 1 wide forward/AM type (ideally 2) and possibly moving Phillips out and bringing in someone else whether it be a DM or another CM using Kovacic as Rodri's primary back up. If for whatever reason we decide to go with what we have currently I'll be very surprised.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.