Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from Ball

Re: Who was the most clueless City manager ever? Apart from

@BluePhil8 said:
Loukas said:
Mark Hughes was the only manager I've ever seen that could spend £100m and still finish lower in the table than the year before...

Surely he's gotta be a contender?
He wasn't Sheikh Mansour's man though and it's quite easy to separate the Hughes signings from the club signings.

Hughes signings: Bellamy, Cruz, Kompany, Zaba, Shaun Wright Phillips.

Club signings: Robinho and Adebayor.

Added to Robinho and Adebayor thinking they were bigger than the club, we were also undergoing probably the most turbulent period in modern day football rising astronomically from lower table team to potential Champions. Under Sven we ended the season horribly getting twated by Middlesbrough etc so morale must have been wank. Sven left some shit personalities in the squad like Elano and Petrov.

Basically I think Hughes probably did underachieve but he isn't as shit as a lot of our fans make out. He was excellent at Blackburn and has turned Stoke from cloggers to semi decent footballers.

Think Hughes set us on our way by doing the dirty work and having the bollocks to tell shit heads like Robinho and Adebayor to fuck off.
Agree with this post. Think some people are judging him through his Rag past. At the time Sven left I'm not sure who else we could have got and he is by
No means clueless.

SaddleworthBlueRhino said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Brian (who?) Horton was a very decent manager, who was a football man through and through, plus is a nice guy into the bargain...(Very rare these days of dog eat dog)

In fact I would go so far as to say he is my favourite City manager, along with Genial Joe Mercer and Pellers.
I can agree with this

I always thought Brian Horton was a really nice guy and like you say, a good solid football man... if only Lee had given him another season, because while 94-95 ended on a downer, we played some sublime football that year (August to November especially) and probably weren't that far off being a half-decent outfit... but Lee sacked him and hired Ball.... opps!

baildon blue said:
Whitefield Blue said:
baildon blue said:
Your deluded if you think Howard Kendall was great . I think I have quite a lot of support for the fact Howard Kendall was a judas .
Get real he was a proper chancer .

WTF has him being 'a judas' got to do with his managerial ability.

The guy took City from relegation certs under Machin to a comfortably top half team in about a year.

But you rate him as low as Ball/Clark etc? Wow.
Have a good think . If Kendall hadn't have left we wouldn't had all those clueless managers .Like Reid , Ball and Frank Clark
So that's why Kendalls in it .

So you are in agreement then that Kendall was a decent manager based on his results during his time in charge at Maine Road? So why is he mentioned in this thread? Yes he was a judas, yes he got a lot of his old Everton players onboard (something that didn't bother me at the time as I saw the sense in it) but his win ratio was brilliant in such a short space of time. If someone could just clarify why he's included in this thread then please step forward. As I remember it he was the favourite to succeed Bobby Robson as England manager so his stock must have been pretty bloody good circa 1990.

bluemurray said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Brian (who?) Horton was a very decent manager, who was a football man through and through, plus is a nice guy into the bargain...(Very rare these days of dog eat dog)

In fact I would go so far as to say he is my favourite City manager, along with Genial Joe Mercer and Pellers.
I can agree with this

I always thought Brian Horton was a really nice guy and like you say, a good solid football man... if only Lee had given him another season, because while 94-95 ended on a downer, we played some sublime football that year (August to November especially) and probably weren't that far off being a half-decent outfit... but Lee sacked him and hired Ball.... opps!

Loved the football we played under Horton and 100% agree he should have been given at the very least another season. I was so underwhelmed the day I found out we had signed Paul Walsh but he went on to become one of my favourite City players of the 90's. Horton's problem (I feel) was he loved the attacking players but didn't have an eye for a decent defender, I feel that was his let down. But what a great guy and some fantastic displays at Maine Road especially.

Im my generation where we get to the age where we start noticing crap managers etc, id have to say hughes . He was fookin useless. Was so glad to see him go .

'It takes time' . Im comfident hed still be sayin that if he was still.with.

Blue Streak said:
bluemurray said:
I can agree with this

Loved the football we played under Horton and 100% agree he should have been given at the very least another season. I was so underwhelmed the day I found out we had signed Paul Walsh but he went on to become one of my favourite City players of the 90's. Horton's problem (I feel) was he loved the attacking players but didn't have an eye for a decent defender, I feel that was his let down. But what a great guy and some fantastic displays at Maine Road especially.

Can you imagine if he was given another season and Kinky joining?

@BluePhil8 said:
Loukas said:
Mark Hughes was the only manager I've ever seen that could spend £100m and still finish lower in the table than the year before...

He wasn't Sheikh Mansour's man though and it's quite easy to separate the Hughes signings from the club signings.

Added to Robinho and Adebayor thinking they were bigger than the club, we were also undergoing probably the most turbulent period in modern day football rising astronomically from lower table team to potential Champions. Under Sven we ended the season horribly getting twated by Middlesbrough etc so morale must have been wank. Sven left some shit personalities in the squad like Elano and Petrov.

Basically I think Hughes probably did underachieve but he isn't as shit as a lot of our fans make out. He was excellent at Blackburn and has turned Stoke from cloggers to semi decent footballers.

Think Hughes set us on our way by doing the dirty work and having the bollocks to tell shit heads like Robinho and Adebayor to fuck off.

I think Hughes was probably the most incompetent manager in the transfer market I've ever seen.

His "philosophy" of buying "proven Premier League Players" was an abject failure at City, and and even more abject failure at QPR.

Then his tactical nous of playing SWP as on of three central midfielders is possibly the second worst decision I've seen since Pearce played David James up front.

I hate the way people give him credit for Kompany. He was an average defensive midfielder under Hughes who wasn't getting in the team. Mancini deserves the credit for giving Kompany the platform to become the player he is today.

Shaelumstash said:
@BluePhil8 said:
Loukas said:

I think Hughes was probably the most incompetent manager in the transfer market I've ever seen.

His "philosophy" of buying "proven Premier League Players" was an abject failure at City, and and even more abject failure at QPR.

Then his tactical nous of playing SWP as on of three central midfielders is possibly the second worst decision I've seen since Pearce played David James up front.

I hate the way people give him credit for Kompany. He was an average defensive midfielder under Hughes who wasn't getting in the team. Mancini deserves the credit for giving Kompany the platform to become the player he is today.

You can't have it both ways. If you're going to attribute what you deem to be bad signings to him, you have to do the same with the good ones. Wasn't Bellamy a proven PL player? and wasn't he pretty good for us? Wasn't Tevez a proven PL player, and wasn't he good for us?

Like I say, by all means take a look at his signings and pick holes, but for there were good buys as well as bad ones.

It was towards the end of 1996, we had seen Ball, Asa, Coppell, Neal and finally Clark in about 5 months.
The gag was " manager of the month, it's not an award it's a job title at City."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.