Who'd get into today's team ?

I've a lot of favourites from the past, but based on their style of play and how they might fit into the modern game when they were at their best I would suggest as follows :

Bert Trautmann for Joe, by a long way. No disrespect to Joe but good as he is he's not up to Bert's standard yet.

No way Kinkladze - great talent but he rarely did the business away from home. Ali B would be in ahead of Kinkladze IMO as he could turn it on anywhere. Ali & Silva would be phenomenal together.

Others would be :

Mike Summerbee - for AJ
Mike Doyle - for Milner
Colin Bell - for anyone
Dave Watson - for Lescott
Alan Oakes - for Barry
Uwe Rosler - (on the bench for the snivelling Argie)

No slight on those replaced, I just think the past players were better.

I'd also like to say Bobby Johnstone, but as great a player as he was his style wouldn't suit today's game. Pity that - he was my boyhood hero.
(Maybe he and Bobby MacDonald could be fitted in to run the Player's Bar).

Glyn Pardoe - brilliant left back before he got crocked by Best.

Colin Bell - obviously.

Dave Watson - exceptional centre half.

Mike Doyle - could play central defence or midfield, even up front in an emergency. Bled blue.

nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
Best left backs maybe from my era:
Paul Power
Bobby MacDonald
Clive Wilson
Andy Hinchcliffe
Terry Phelan
We've had some gud 'uns and time will tell whether Clichy or Kolarov will join that list in the future, hope so.
the good 'uns weren't in that list though mate - Bobby Mac! I remember he perfected the "sit down in front of your winger tackle" - the others had their strengths but Willie Donachie & Glyn Pardoe were streets ahead IMO.

BrianW said:
Glyn Pardoe - brilliant left back before he got crocked by Best.
BrianW said:
Colin Bell - obviously.

Dave Watson - exceptional centre half.

Mike Doyle - could play central defence or midfield, even up front in an emergency. Bled blue.

That is the reason I started to watch City.Glyns back garden and ours fell back to back and my Dad asked his Dad (Les) could they take me to Maine Road one day.
Imagine at the time as a 13 year old travelling in the same car,being driven by Citys centre forward (Glyn was at the time and he played for England schoolboys in that position before Big Mal changed him into one of the best left backs)
After that they used to take me to every home game,with his Mum,Girlfriend at the time Pat,his Nan.His Dad used to travel with Glyns cousin Alan Oakes,as they both came from the same town.
Once I got accustomed to the way around Maine Road I used to travel by train from Northwich to Oxford Road and walk through Moss Side to the ground.

Starting XI:
-------------------------------Bert Trautmann-------------------------------
Tony Book--------Dave Watson--------Dave Ewing--------Glynn Pardoe
-------------David Silva--------Colin Bell---------Peter Doherty(c)--------
----------Billy Meredith--------Eric Brook--------Tommy Johnson------

Subs:
Frank Swift; Mike Doyle; Roy Paul; Mike Summerbee; Fred Tilson; Francis Lee; Neil Young

I can only comment on what i have seen since i started going to city with my old man in 1992.

Kinkladze over Nasri
Goater over Tevez
Peter Schmeichel over Hart
Rosler over Balotelli

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.