Who's into Classical Music?

I have a love for classical music, particularly the symphony but been years really since I have regularly listened - I really love the strings & piano

Some great renditions of modern music from Royal Philharmonic too (Queen, Abba)

When things are back to normal try the Ellen Kent travelling opera companies. Not up to the Met standard but a very high standard from tiny East European countries. They visit the Palace/Opera House in town and also Stoke in their two tours per year.
Edit Just realised lve told you twice now. I should read a thread before replying.
My excuse is lve woken early but my brain hasn't yet. At least l am consistent!
Saw an Ellen Kent production in Manchester a good few years ago.
I didn’t make Venice in March of course and the Verona Opera festival 2020 has been cancelled but they changed my tickets for the 2021 festival.

Don't min a bit of Classical music every now and again.

The first orchestral recordings I owned were film scores (Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, both in vinyl). I do like a good film score. Barber's Adagio for Strings (Platoon) instantly springs to mind.

If I'm in the mood, I might plug in my phones set up and dig into a bit of Wagner, or Vivaldi. I'm also not adverse to a bit of Rachmaninov.

You should take a look at John Williams if you like a film score - he's behind dozens of them.

I like classical music of all types (some of the modern stuff is a bit ropy). You cant beat a bit of Mozart and Beethoven, Greig, Vivaldi or Holst.
My favourite opera music is written by Verdi, Mozart and Puccini. Ballet by Tchaikovsky and Matthew Bourne in particular.
I have been to the Sydney Opera House, The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden and La Finice in Venice. All magical experiences.
I saw Andrea Bocelli in Glasgow a couple of years ago which was ok but I really didn't get more out of it than listening to one of his records.

In all truth, other than the theatre of opera and ballet, I would rather listen to classical music in the house on my hifi than live in a concert hall.

Saw an Ellen Kent production in Manchester a good few years ago.
I didn’t make Venice in March of course and the Verona Opera festival 2020 has been cancelled but they changed my tickets for the 2021 festival.
Id love to go to Verona or La Scala but cant get insurance at the best of times
Great youre getting a second bite at Verona. Been to a few orchestrals at Tatton anf Capesthorne (Young Farmers having a sumptuous looking meal with silver service and candlesticks men dressed in DJs and ladies in glittering gowns both wearing green wellies) but only outdoor opera was near Macc . Up in the hills near Langley l think. Lovely evening all round with some of the top students from RNCM doing Butterfly. No stage as such and the ladies' chorus entered up a bit of a hill and gamely singing away despite being out of puff.

Id love to go to Verona or La Scala but cant get insurance at the best of times
Great youre getting a second bite at Verona. Been to a few orchestrals at Tatton anf Capesthorne (Young Farmers having a sumptuous looking meal with silver service and candlesticks men dressed in DJs and ladies in glittering gowns both wearing green wellies) but only outdoor opera was near Macc . Up in the hills near Langley l think. Lovely evening all round with some of the top students from RNCM doing Butterfly. No stage as such and the ladies' chorus entered up a bit of a hill and gamely singing away despite being out of puff.
Clonter opera?

Some great renditions of modern music from Royal Philharmonic too (Queen, Abba)

Good evening Mr Barca and an interesting post that holds a sway of resonance. I love the fusion of modern pop or rock with orchestras and there are some mighty fine examples out there to wet the appetite. Here for your kind perusal is one of my all time favourites from prog-rock band Yes and of course the Symphonic that will put a grin on face of the most ardent of listeners. The most beautiful prog rock track ever transcribed to scroll and trans-versing way beyond the spiritual.

Bless you Squire.

Belt up tightly for journeys end as we delve deep within the mother-lode and culmination of tracks end at the 4.25 whilst traveling on to dimension new. I stand in awe and utter disbelief at the talent on display because much of Yes's music lends itself SO well to enhancement by an orchestra.

For some bizarre reason known only unto themself you have to press a button to take you to see it on You-Tube. If I were a cynic I would hazard a guess at an advert or three, it's what they do to earn their daily crust.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.