Who's next?.

Given Delph was obviously a target then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we turn our attentions Ward-Prowse's way. He'd get as much gametime as we were willing to offer Delph and, given his age, there's far greater upside in terms of progression.
I'm not so sure we'll go after someone else to replace Delph, the more I've thought about it, the more I wonder if we just saw an opportunity for a HG player on the cheap, with the release fee being so low, and just took a punt. Most likely the reason he changed his mind, is that he didn't believe he would get much playing time given the other targets that have been well publicised.

I'm not so sure we'll go after someone else to replace Delph, the more I've thought about it, the more I wonder if we just saw an opportunity for a HG player on the cheap, with the release fee being so low, and just took a punt. Most likely the reason he changed his mind, is that he didn't believe he would get much playing time given the other targets that have been well publicised.

I can certainly see that being a possibility. However, with our squad currently having just Hart, Clichy and (unless something extremely unexpected happens) Sterling as homegrown options (ok, and Wright) there's certainly space for another homegrown player in the Premier League squad. Probably space in the Champion's League squad too as I suspect Wright wouldn't be added to that (we'll probably go with Hart, Caballero and Gunn on the B List as our keeping options). We can't, currently, submit a full squad for either competition as we are too short on homegrown player options. That's no reason to just go out and sign any old homegrown player, but it leaves us with the option of targeting the right player when we find him.

Personally I think you're probably right, and we won't be looking at anyone homegrown to be added to the squad, but if we are we could do a hell or a lot worse than looking in Ward-Prowse's direction.

I just think the fee would be silly, and I'll be surprised if we hit on anyone else, there really aren't many around that would improve our squad, Delph was one of the few, he wouldn't have made regular first teamer, but he would have got decent playing time.

We've taken punts before on HG, with SWP, Johnson, Rodwell, and Sinclair, and these have largely failed, so I think we'll be more cautious. Hopefully we'll soon be producing our own, and it will no longer be an issue.

Ward Prowse is a better option than James McCarthy. McCarthy is good but doesnt do it in the big games. He cant take control of the game. Watch him for Ireland see how poor he plays. Look at him for Everton gives it easy doesnt take the game by the scruff of the neck which he should be doing now.

Also why we worrying about the fee?? I think with some clubs they wont hold us to ransom for some of the players. We aint got a lot of options for young players who we can develop into the type of players we want and with Ward Prowse we can do that and his experience of top flight games will be a no risk signing. Think there will be another home grown player signed in this window.

If we're looking for HG, don't shout but what about Ashley Cole for a season. I know he's at the end of his career but he's highly experienced & could still do a job.

If we manage to pull off Pogba and De Bruyne, I don't see any room/money for an outfield HG player imo. Think Delph was just cheap enough to make it worth it. Don't see a HG CM option for less than 10m. We'd to either keep Fernando or look at someone like Aranguiz. We're stocked at CB

Guessing around 150-160m is the absolute limit before sales.

If Pogba stays at Juve/goes to Barca who knows what will happen

If we manage to pull off Pogba and De Bruyne, I don't see any room/money for an outfield HG player imo. Think Delph was just cheap enough to make it worth it. Don't see a HG CM option for less than 10m. We'd to either keep Fernando or look at someone like Aranguiz. We're stocked at CB

Guessing around 150-160m is the absolute limit before sales.

If Pogba stays at Juve/goes to Barca who knows what will happen

we have no idea on the club's budget though so anything else is just pure speculation

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.