Who's the greatest ?

One things for sure, nobody is miles ahead when it comes to being classed as the greatest.

Vincent Kompany, Yaya Toure, Dave Silva, Kun Aguero...
All the best ever in their own way.

I can't split them.

Kinkladze can have a mention too but wasn’t quite up to the 4 above.

Bell was before my time but I think footballers from them days can't be compared to footballers of today.
They weren't proper athletes like they are today.

Vincent Kompany, Yaya Toure, Dave Silva, Kun Aguero...
All the best ever in their own way.

I can't split them.

Kinkladze can have a mention too but wasn’t quite up to the 4 above.

Bell was before my time but I think footballers from them days can't be compared to footballers of today.
They weren't proper athletes like they are today.

You've definitely got a point about about the difficulty of comparing then and now. I've watched City since 1956 and I honestly think that the only player in our past who could compete with those you mention from the modern era is Colin Bell who was every bit as good an athlete as our present guys and had great skills in scoring, passing, tackling, intercepting - the original box to box midfielder with a stunning ability to score as well. Don't forget how poor the pitches were in those days too!

Ive been watching the blues since I was 6. So after 48 years of players coming & going I can't think of anyone who can eclipse David Silva. Pure class!

You've definitely got a point about about the difficulty of comparing then and now. I've watched City since 1956 and I honestly think that the only player in our past who could compete with those you mention from the modern era is Colin Bell who was every bit as good an athlete as our present guys and had great skills in scoring, passing, tackling, intercepting - the original box to box midfielder with a stunning ability to score as well. Don't forget how poor the pitches were in those days too!

I'll have to take your word Moorland.

I'm sure he was as amazing as I've heard but for me i can only go off what I see and as you have said its difficult comparing generations.

The game has changed so much over the years though hasn't it.

I was too young to see Colin Bell. I didn't think I'd ever see a better City player than Tevez that season he dragged us in to the CL for the first time.

Yaya has probably got the best highlights reel of any City player. Showed up in the big moments more than any other. He's the mose decisive player in City's history.

However, Yaya is the big right hand to David Silva's jab. The right hand looks best on the highlights, but it's the jab that makes you truly great.

Silva's consistency over his career when injury free is astonishing. His quality on the ball, his touch, his vision, his delivery of the defence splitting ball, his knitting together of the team, his courage to demand the ball in tight areas, under pressure, is just a joy to behold.

He's the most intelligent player I've ever seen in the flesh. He always plays the right pass, and sometimes he even plays a pass that you can't even see from the top tier of the stadium, he's just operating on a completely different level from the casual observer.

Yaya is irreplaceable in terms of his quality on the ball together with his physicality. But we can replace him with something different and look just as good. As we did with Fernandinho at the start of the season. But take Silva out of the side and we look very ordinary. No one can do what he does in terms of knitting the team together and dictating a game, linking midfield and attack.

Silva truly is irreplaceable, no one can do what he does as well as him, and he's been doing it consistently for 7 years, that's what makes him the greatest.

Exactly my thoughts.

You've essentially put into words what was going through my head when I read the OP.

I'll be more gutted when Silva leaves than Yaya. I'm a big fan of the big man though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.