Why City?

It was inevitable really, my dad supports City so from when i was born there was really going to be one club. I was never forced to though. I'd like to think i chose the option myself even if i was wearing City colours at an early age. Season ticket holder since Div 2 i think it is.

DAD again, can you really imagine a better sight at 8 years old clambering up the steps to the gateway of the main stand in our beloved Maine Road, 1-0 against Ipswich btw

I was born a blue tbh but dads first match was the rags at OT didnt really know what to think, went to a game at maine road and fell in love :)

my first post on here, so be gentle!
I first started supporting City really to piss off my brothers and dad, who are rags, and also most of my friends are also either rags or red scouse- which pretty par for the course where i'm from.
I never thought for 1 minute back then that I would experience so many highs and lows, turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

derryCITY said:
my first post on here, so be gentle!
I first started supporting City really to piss off my brothers and dad, who are rags, and also most of my friends are also either rags or red scouse- which pretty par for the course where i'm from.
I never thought for 1 minute back then that I would experience so many highs and lows, turned out to be the best decision I ever made.
Welcome.

It wouldn't bear thinking about if I'd gone the other way. I did have a brief flirtation with the dark side when I was little cos all my mates were rags. My dad nipped it in the bud immediately by taking me to Maine Road. You can't beat the excitement of that when you're a kid - all those people in one place, and the noise!

Well my dad was a massive Blue in the days of 50's & 60's right into the seventies. He always took my older brother who is also a diehard blue with him. The mood on Saturday evenings were always shaped on the basis of City's result that day with the door-slamming return along with "bloody fairies" a sure sign of a defeat and an evening of gloom!! However I was not really into football untill the mid-80's although I 'supported' City and went to occassional matches. I remember seeing them in 81-82 when we beat Leeds 4-0 at Maine Road, Tuert and Francis 2 apeice I think, although I certainly went to the odd game prior to that, I remember standing on the Platt Lane/Kippax corner one evening watching a team in claret (Burnley/West Ham?) sometime in the early 70's. My first season watching reasonably regular was 85-86. So I have never seen 'good times'; the occassional bright season, the odd period where we won more than we lost and more managers than I care to remember even if I could.

Bugger. I must be one of the oldest on here.I remember seeing Bert play. Dad was a jock, Maine Road nearer our house than cold trafford.(Cheapskate ).
Looking through some old programmes t'other day and came across a piece of paper inside one. So I thought I would share. (Guess the year )

IT ALL BEGAN FIVE YEARS AGO
WHEN LIVERPOOL WERE ON TOP
CHAMPIONS OF DIVISION ONE
AND ROARED ON BY THE KOP
THE CRITICS ASKED WHO ARE THE KOP
FOR THEY MAKE A FRIGHTFUL DIN
AND MERSEYSIDERS DID REPLY
WHY BROTHER THATS NO SIN

NOW ALL THE FANS ARE SINGING
FROM PORTSMOUTH TO THE GOWER
FROM HULL ON THE EASTERN SIDE
UP TO THE BLACKPOOL TOWER
WE'VE GOT OUR OWN STANDS NOW YOU KNOW
WHERE ALL THE YOUNG FANS GATHER
TO CHEER AND SHOUT AND SING AND BLATHER

NOW TO NOTTINGHAM WE DECEND
TO WITNESS SUCH AN UPROAR
UPON THE HUGE TRENT END
WOLVERHAMPTON IS THE NEXT TO SEE
AT THE BACK OF THE GREAT NORTH BANK
WHERE WOLVES SUPPORTERS CHEER AND SHOUT
WITH TIGERS IN THEIR TANK
UP NEAR MANCHESTER WE ASEND
WHERE WE WITH OTHERS CONGREGATE
UPON THE STRETFORD END
NOW THERE IS ONE MORE PLACE TO SEE
ONE WHICH CAN NEVER BE BEAT
WHAT MANCHESTER CITY FANS DUB

THE FAMOUS KIPPAX STREET

Havn't a clue who wrote it but it brought the hairs up on my neck at the time.Must be getting old.........older.

one reason - my mum
she lived in family full of reds and wanted to be different
am i so glad she did that
there was no way i was going to be anything else
good!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.