Why City?

was about 7 and watched city v toon with me dad around 1984, mel machin in charge i think and i can still remember walkin thru the isle tunnel in the main stand and seeing the kippax facing me...i was in disbalife at all those people and the chanting going on..never forget that day and wanted to be apart of that forever,funnything was thou is that my dad is a geordie and tryed to make me follow his beloved toon but unfortunately for him he took me to the wrong game,but fair-doos to him he took me as many city games as he could until i passed my driving test at 17 and bin a season ticket holder since,35 now...

was brought up a red thanks to my dad who told how great they were, but the first match i went to was city v shrewsbury town (i think). got free tickets from school, so off i went. I got to Maine Rd and bought 3 RAG badges for a quid each from the shop on the corner. i remeber thinking how great and clever i was. Then within 90 mins of pure blue magic, oh and Andy Hinchcliffe scoring direct from a corner i finally saw the light and converted immediatelt to the mighty blues.

And just to add the icing on the cake, i sold the 3 badges for £1.50 each on the following monday to a thick RAG tw*t

jonesyxi said:
was brought up a red thanks to my dad who told how great they were, but the first match i went to was city v shrewsbury town (i think). got free tickets from school, so off i went. I got to Maine Rd and bought 3 RAG badges for a quid each from the shop on the corner. i remeber thinking how great and clever i was. Then within 90 mins of pure blue magic, oh and Andy Hinchcliffe scoring direct from a corner i finally saw the light and converted immediatelt to the mighty blues.

And just to add the icing on the cake, i sold the 3 badges for £1.50 each on the following monday to a thick RAG tw*t
rag

goaters volley said:
was about 7 and watched city v toon with me dad around 1984, mel machin in charge i think and i can still remember walkin thru the isle tunnel in the main stand and seeing the kippax facing me...i was in disbalife at all those people and the chanting going on..never forget that day and wanted to be apart of that forever,funnything was thou is that my dad is a geordie and tryed to make me follow his beloved toon but unfortunately for him he took me to the wrong game,but fair-doos to him he took me as many city games as he could until i passed my driving test at 17 and bin a season ticket holder since,35 now...

McNeill was in charge in 84 and if you are 35 you would have been 10 at the time.
Not slagging you off mate, just politely correcting you.

Growing up in '75, watching them on the TV I think, just decided they were my team. Grew up between Blackburn and Bolton, guess I'm the original Gloryhunter! Love beating Rovers and Waaaanderers as much (almost) as beating the rags!

PaleBlue said:
Growing up in '75, watching them on the TV I think, just decided they were my team. Grew up between Blackburn and Bolton, guess I'm the original Gloryhunter! Love beating Rovers and Waaaanderers as much (almost) as beating the rags!

Some pleasures never fade :-)

I went along for a day out with a pal on Boxing Day '89 and the atmosphere in the Kippax just blew my mind, an overwhelming sense of "you just know when something fits you perfectly". It was a 1-0 win over Norwich that got me hooked, why couldn't I have gone 3 months earlier, I would have loved to be there at the famous 23/9. I have been CTID (and beyond) ever since.

I was taken to Maine road as a little 'un by my dad and my uncle. That was it really.... all it took. I am 45 years old and have been going since i was about 4/5. Had a season ticket for decades now. Life would be wrong without city. The first game i really remember was the Colin Bell comeback V Newcastle i remember being so moved by the emotions of all the people around me i knew i was hooked for life. The last game at Maine road too stands out, i thought typical city etc but when the final whistle went i just lost it and all i could remember was my dad who had grown up a red but my mother converted him when they married, he had died in 1991 and i literally lost it just stood there blubbering. Then i went into town with some friends for a meal at a spanish restaurant and gary owen and the goat were there too. Thats why city, for me . sorry about the long post .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.