Why did the Sheikh choose us

unexpected item said:
I bet this woman, Amanda Staveley, knows exactly why it was us.

AmandaStaveley_1384869c.jpg

This is taken from Wikipedia
Manchester City and Liverpool[edit]
The Barclays deal followed Sheikh Mansour's £210 million purchase of Manchester City F.C. in September of the same year through the Abu Dhabi United Group,[19] a transaction reportedly worth £10 million in commission to PCP Capital Partners.[6] At the same time Staveley was involved in extended negotiations by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's Dubai International Capital to buy a 49 per cent stake in Liverpool Football Club, although the deal, which would have given Staveley a place on the club's board, eventually foundered.[10][20][24]

Vision : Abu Dhabi is a world hub. Like London and New York and Tokyo. A gap in the world map existed in the middle east time zone.

Objective: Position AD as a contender on the world map.

Strategy: Set up a number of activities that establishes AD as the "go to" place in the Tokyo-London gap time zone. Present AD as a serious player in the world.

Action: Big world sport oriented events. F1. Tennis. Golf. Football.

Football: Have a successful team that the world associates with AD.
Leagues with limited global reach don't qualify e.g. French Italian German leagues.
Teams with old history don't qualify e.g. Liverpool.
Teams that associate with competition don't qualify e.g. London, Arsenal.
Teams with limited growth potential don't qualify e.g. Newcastle and Everton. The big site around our stadium is a huge opportunity.
City ticked all the boxes.
City will be synonymous with success with investment in the football side.
City will be synonymous with AD.
AD will be synonymous with success.
Big business will be attracted to AD because of the success of City - it will be the "go to" place.
Success attracts people and organisations wanting to be successful.

Why City? Because nowhere else is as good.
Ten years from now will be unbelievably blue.

#SOD

kippaxblue76 said:
Potential.

That's pretty much it.

The ADUG had a shortlist and everyone of the clubs on it was subject to a ground up total analysis - history, support, position, players, location, ethnic and religious profile, image in different countries, media perception, everything you can think of and some you wouldn't.

City were the preferred option, but, and this is important to all you Frank theorists, the deal very nearly floundered over Shinawatra's demands in terms of price and his wish to retain a percentage ownership and an honorary president position. In the event, both were granted but quietly done away with once the sheikh was in control.

Shinawatra returned to the Etihad in 2012 and had to sit in the South Stand with the fans which shows just how well he is regarded by the current owners.

Frank very nearly led us into financial meltdown and when the offer of a lifetime came along he put his own interests squarely before those of the club. I don't care about his politics, but what I do know for a fact is that he nearly ruined our club, and for that he can forever fuck off.

A number of factors:

• New large stadium with opportunities for expansion, and plentiful adjacent land for development (clear advantage over Spurs, Newcastle and Everton)
  • Large fanbase (parity with Spurs, Newcastle and Everton)
  • Can leverage rivalry with one of the world's biggest clubs, who play in red, the opposite colour of our blue (clear advantage over Newcastle, and to a lesser extent Everton and Spurs)
  • Can leverage the fact that we're by far the biggest City club, and City is a short brand name and easier to establish brand identity and establish franchise efforts like New York City. (advantage over Newcastle and Everton, and probably Spurs too when added to our rivalry with the rags - City-United is more compelling than North London as a moniker)
  • Manchester's infrastructure (huge advantage over Newcastle and Everton and arguably even over Spurs as the local infrastructure doesn't match up to London's as a whole.)
  • Garry Cook being able to see and effectively sell our advantages (big advantage over Kenwright, and to lesser extent Mike Ashley).

Of the two clubs most mentioned as the competitors, Newcastle and particularly Everton, we have clear advantages. We won the lottery yes, but we gave ourself a good chance by buying a shit load of tickets.

Skashion said:
A number of factors:

• New large stadium with opportunities for expansion, and plentiful adjacent land for development (clear advantage over Spurs, Newcastle and Everton)
  • Large fanbase (parity with Spurs, Newcastle and Everton)
  • Can leverage rivalry with one of the world's biggest clubs, who play in red, the opposite colour of our blue (clear advantage over Newcastle, and to a lesser extent Everton and Spurs)
  • Can leverage the fact that we're by far the biggest City club, and City is a short brand name and easier to establish brand identity and establish franchise efforts like New York City. (advantage over Newcastle and Everton, and probably Spurs too when added to our rivalry with the rags - City-United is more compelling than North London as a moniker)
  • Manchester's infrastructure (huge advantage over Newcastle and Everton and arguably even over Spurs as the local infrastructure doesn't match up to London's as a whole.)
  • Garry Cook being able to see and effectively sell our advantages (big advantage over Kenwright, and to lesser extent Mike Ashley).

Of the two clubs most mentioned as the competitors, Newcastle and particularly Everton, we have clear advantages. We won the lottery yes, but we gave ourself a good chance by buying a shit load of tickets.

Great post, and this is in line with my understanding.

I've actually heard Garry Cook say that the potential to expand the City brand name, and the potential media coverage of the rivalry with the shite were the compelling arguments that none of the other clubs could offer.

Another thing that I've not seen mentioned is that we were cheap! As in good value. Shinawatra was on his arse, strapped for cash, so it put ADUG in a very strong bargaining position to buy him out.

I heard Spurs fell out of contention because of their stadium, no room for redevelopment and problems to build in the local area. Everton I think wanted too much money, and Liverpool isn't as well placed strategically as Manchester in terms of infrastructure and catchment area. I think Garry Cook also used the often used phrase that 7 million people live within an hour of Manchester. Liverpool can't say the same.

I also heard that Newcastle was going to be bought on the same day as us, but obviously a different investment vehicle. It got very close to going through, but for some reason or another it fell out of bed. Might have been Ashley asking for more money or something, but from what I understand, the Newcastle deal was a lot more developed than ours, and fell out of bed at the last minute.

I don't think anyone should underestimate how important Garry Cook was to this takeover happening. It was his passion and vision that they bought in to. Obviously the fans loyalty and passion was a huge influence, and we've all played out part in that over the years. But it took someone like Garry Cook to sell that passion and loyalty to investors who'd never heard of Moss Side or York away!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.