Why do vets charge so much?

My dog, Zero, went in to have 4 lumps removed earlier on on the year. The vet said he would sort out forms with Petplan, the insurers. Anyway I then got a bill from Vets for my excess. Petplan had paid them less my excess. They had charged me excess twice as vet had told them 2 different type of lumps removed and therefore technically 2 proceedure's carried out. I called the vet to ask why not informed of this before operating & he said he would take it up with Petplan & get back to me?????? Still waiting to hear from him & this was in March. Dreading taking Zero in for his boosters.

Unless you are in the financial position to take on pets or children, do not adopt or breed either.

My border terrier is 10 now and she’s starting to cost us a few quid. She’s got diabetes and we’re in the process of getting her insulin levels correct.

It’s proving to be a tricky process and we’ve also had conflicting information off the vets (x2) about how best to go about monitoring her.

With regards the money. I did have a bit of a go at my wife as her and the mother in law fuss and mollycoddle Veronica so much that I was starting to think that they were looking for problems. Countless visits to the vets about her being lethargic etc and at £35 a pop it had become a monthly bill of an easy £70 a month. Not that much I suppose but when you’re thinking it could be an unnecessary expense, it’s that what led to me questioning it. I was told in no uncertain terms by both the wife and mother in law to shut up about the money as if she’s not right, then she’s not right. As it happens they were right as her having diabetes is obviously a major health concern.

Veronica also used to have fits. She’d go into a strange, stiff mode where she couldn’t control her legs. If stood up, she’d just fall over and you’d have to just hold her until she came out of it. She’d be shaking and look terrified. She had epilepsy. After countless consultations and trials with medication, she no longer has these fits, well she hasn’t had one for about 3 years now so all is good in that respect. Special food, medication, consultations all cost a pretty penny and although we had pet insurance, at one point her policy was near £90 a month. Once the epilepsy was under control we went for a cheaper policy. Think it’s aroubd £30 a month. But we’ve always banked money to cover any issues if needed. Luckily the diabetes is covered so her insulin etc we can claim for.

I’ve always been a bit more rough (can’t think of another word) with her. I’ll play fight with her, take her on longer, more challenging walks and in general let her off the lead to do whatever it is she wants whilst out. Where the wife and mother in law, like I say mollycoddle her.

I think that Veronica has been the best £500 we’ve ever spent though. She’s a fucking mint little dog and despite having epilepsy and now diabetes she’s the happiest little thing. Father in law passed away about 4 years ago. Now Veronica is mine and my wife’s dog but the bond that the mother in law has with Veronica is unreal. She now virtually lives at her grandmas (which is just around the corner from us) due to the fact that my mother in law gets so much enjoyment out of looking after Veronica.

Dogs and pets in general can bring so much happiness and enjoyment that vets, although pricey are worth their weight in gold. Get your pet insured and maybe have a little pet fund of say £5 a week (less than 2 pints) for any unexpected issues that may arise. After 4 years of that £5 a week you’ll have over a grand to help and if insured you can make a claim anyway.

I’m off sick today, gonna pop round grandmas and play with my dog for an hour.

Thank which ever final resting place you might end up in for them, but I don't get this stressful job malarkey, How hard can fingering a German Shepard be?

I'd wager, career learning for the best part of all there developing years does not give them the real world experience and coping mechanisms they need.

Vets can be greedy human beings that are never happy with what they earn.The prices they charge are exhorbitant.
Just like the dentist chappies they are an evil nessasity to make our pets smile again.
I have a few tales of woe from vetinary practitioners but owing to time restraint will recant only one.
This does not mean all vets will slap your arse but that a lot will and ..can..and do.

Here is the story..
Our Rottie was aquired from the leafy shires of Birkenhead and chosen for temperament and pet quality.
An amazing animal that never once in it's adult life grumbled at any sentient creature.
More temperament than a guide dog and smarter than any sheep dog you could throw a stick at.
We would od course say all this because he was our pal and could do no wrong..

So the years went by and summer turned to winter and winter turned to summer and soon he could no longer frolick as before and runs in the fields turned to walks and walks turned into plods with an occational wobble from his hind quarter.The vet said it's normal in this type of breed but would procure x rays and run bloods.
The prognosise was degenerate as his hips were knackered and prognosis non too good.
But wait ! it was written we could make him happier and more content and improve his walking ability and quality of life with a magic potion to be taken twice daily.With many dogs the transorfmation was incredulous releasing a new lease and zest for life..Were in doc we're in .. what is it ?

The potion was called syniquin or sinoquin and really helped improve a dogs life.
Only problem was the pills were expensive and if I remember rightly were £70 a course however you got a sticker for every bottle and when you bought 10 you got one free.I saw only good in this man who was offering 10% off in our quest to alleviate our hounds pains.

He braved on for another six months and although a small improvement things never worked out and when he cocked his leg for a wazzle he would now fall over.

Time to say goodbye and on his final day we took him for his last day out.
Appointment wasn't until late afternoon so he spent the day chilling by the river and in the park and we had a picanic of full roast chickens and full blocks of cheese (lancashire mais oui)He also had copious amounts of jaffa cakes his favourites and then we went to dance the dance and he was no more. If anyone has had an animal put to sleep there is no need to recant the pain involved to the owners and we stayed at his side until the end.
Many months past with summer turning to winter and winter turning once more into spring
OK so no spring chickens ourself we both had problems with joint pain and although we never fell over when having a piss we sought out treatment from the docs.

We also sought out help from the www and was directed to a product called chondroitin and glucosamine.
Wonder drugs they said and a great aid in mending old joints and cartelidge.
And the good thing is our supermarket sold them for absolute pennies,maybe three pounds for a hundred or something cheap like that.

Anyway fast forward six months and we were cleaning out the garage and came across his belongings.
Bed lead collar blanket brush quilt pillow etc and some left over sinoquin.
I read the label on the sinoquin and saw the contents.
It was glucosomaine and chomdroitin and nothing else that can be bought for pennies in Asda.
So the £60 monthly tablets were just the same ..wtf.I made enquires from vets and it was exactly the same stuff given to humans with no doggie additives but just given a posher name. Why when you have vetinary care of the dog and associated profit for it's entire life then feel the need to nail the owners for more groats in there last hour of need.

Not saying all vets overprice but the selling of Sinoquin at proposterous mark levels is wrong on every level.
Why cant everyone charge fair prices like cabbies ..No price increase for eight years and do we moan ..do we fook because it's not just a job it's a way of life with rush of wind to our hair and the call of the open road.
Maybe footballers and vets and other over paid sausauges should all take note of this.
This country is going to the dogs !

Last edited:
I reckon it's because most people have pet insurance now.
In the past they'd charge a fee they thought they could get the owner to pay but now with people having insurance they just charge ridiculous amounts knowing the insurance companies pay out.
My partners Daughter's cat had a thorn in it's eye, the 'super-vet' charged nearly £1600 to get it out plus whatever else they did, luckily the insurance company paid most of it, minus the first £150 excess.
Would they have charged that if she didn't have insurance, personally i don't think so.

I
We also sought out help from the www and was directed to a product called chondroitin and also glucosamine.
And the good thing is our supermarket sold them for absolute pennies,maybe three pounds for a hundred or something cheap like that.
Anyway fast forward six months and we were cleaning out the garage and came across our his belongings.
It was glucosomaine and chomdroitin and nothing else that can be bought for pennies in Asda.
So the £60 monthly tablets were just the same ..wtf.I made enquires from vets and it was exactly the same stuff given to humans with no doggie additives but just given a posher name.
Why when you have vetinary care of the dog and associated profit for it's entire life then feel the need to nail the owners for more groats in there last hour of need.

Vets are not allowed to prescribe human medicines to animals on the grounds of cost, irrespective of whether it's the same active ingredient.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-cascade-prescribing-unauthorised-medicines#human-medicines

I am not going to waffle any more.
I am going to attempt to put my POV (point of view) across in a rationalised manner devoid of sandwitch fillings or dross.
It may taste blander than previous posts but will be just as wholsesome and nutritious so worry not.
I have been stuck for time this week so Moonwalking and other space exploration has been kept to a minimum.
It happens occationally and the more important things in life have to take a back seat.
If I wasn't pressed for time I would have created another three paragraphs out of thin air and also making nonchelant enquires as to where our white widow was hiding but I wont.

Lets crack on..
Vets can be greedy human beings that are never happy with what they earn.The prices they charge are exhorbitant.
Just like the dentist chappies they are an evil nessasity to make our pets smile again.
I have a few tales of woe from vetinary practitioners but owing to time restraint will recant only one.
This does not mean all vets will slap your arse but that a lot will and ..can..and do.

Here is the story..
Our Rottie was aquired from the leafy shires of Birkenhead and chosen for temperament and pet quality.
An amazing animal that never once in it's adult life grumbled at any sentient creature.
More temperament than a guide dog and smarter than any sheep dog you could throw a stick at.
We would od course say all this because he was our pal and could do no wrong..
Cut to the chase Tax cut to the chase ...

So the years went by and summer turned to winter and the circle of life carved and wove of of it's splendid magic
He could no longer frolick as before and runs in the fields turned to walks and walks turned into plods with an occational wobble from a hind quarter.The vet said it's normal in this type of breed but would procure x rays and run bloods.
The prognosise was degenerate as his hips were knackered and prognosis non too good.
But wait ! we could make him happier and more content and improve his walking ability and quality of life with some magic potion to be taken twice daily.With many dogs the transorfmation was incredulous releasing a new lease and zest for life..
We are in doc we are in .. what is it ?

The potion was called syniquin or sinoquin and really helped improve a dogs life.
Only problem was the pills were expensive and if I remember rightly were £70 a course however you got a sticker for every bottle and when you bought 10 you got one free.I saw only good in this man who was offering 10% off in our quest to alleviate our hounds pains.

He braved on for another six months and although a small improvement things never worked out and when he cocked his leg for a wazzle he would now fall over.
Time to say goodbye and on his final day we took him for his last day out.
Appointment wasn't until late afternoon so he spent the day chilling by the river and in the park and we had a picanic of full roast chickens and full blocks of cheese (lancashire mais oui)He also had copious amounts of jaffa cakes his favourites and then we went to dance the dance and he was no more.
If anyone has had an animal put to sleep there is no need to recant the pain involved to the owners and we stayed at his side until the end.
Many months past with summer turning to winter and winter turning once more into spring ...get on with it ...get on with it !
OK so no spring chickens ourself we both had problems with joint pain and although we never fell over when having a piss we sought out treatment from the docs.

We also sought out help from the www and was directed to a product called chondroitin and also glucosamine.
Anyway fast forward six months and we were cleaning out the garage and came across our his belongings.
So the £60 monthly tablets were just the same ..wtf.I made enquires from vets and it was exactly the same stuff given to humans with no doggie additives but just given a posher name.
Why when you have vetinary care of the dog and associated profit for it's entire life then feel the need to nail the owners for more groats in there last hour of need.

Not saying all vets overprice but the selling of Sinoquin at proposterous mark levels is wrong on every level.
Why cant everyone charge fair prices like cabbies ..
No price increase for eight years now and do we moan ..do we fook because it's not just a job it's a way of life with the rush of wind in our hair and the call of the open road.
Maybe footballers and vets and other over paid sausauges should all take note of this.
This country is going to the dogs !

Wow. Upsetting but excellent post.

Dreading the day we have to say goodbye to our dog.

Vets are not allowed to prescribe human medicines to animals on the grounds of cost, irrespective of whether it's the same active ingredient.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-cascade-prescribing-unauthorised-medicines#human-medicines

It's the same stuff 100%
So to get out of govermental guidance they change the name to sinoquin.

What they could do is refuse to sell this at such overinflated price when they know the product is available in Asda for £2 a bottle.
Profit is healthy as it's the end result of the business model.
Nothing dirty in profit..Unless your taking the piss with your customer base which is what they are doing with this product mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.