Why have we been written off?

This still boggles the mind. Silva might be the best player in the league over the last 5 years. How, how in the world does he get such little recognition. He should be one of the faces of the league.
Don't get me started on Toure being behind Gerrard 2 years ago.

Because we were defensively shaky last year and it seems that nothing has changed to address it
I disagree. The switch to 433 should help us. Opposition players running straight through midfield to get at the defense was a problem last season. Now Yaya will be supported by two players, not just one. Also think Denayer is ready and Mangala will come good as he is more settled. Kompany struggled last season due to nagging injury (ankle?) but he should be ready to go now. Also, Sterling running tirelessly down the left flank will keep the opposition on their toes. And if we get KdB? We will be frightening up top.

I'd still like to see one more CM sign as well as a defender that can play as either LB or CB. But I do think some of our defensive frailties from last season won't carry over into this one regardless of whether we sign new players.

I disagree. The switch to 433 should help us. Opposition players running straight through midfield to get at the defense was a problem last season. Now Yaya will be supported by two players, not just one. Also think Denayer is ready and Mangala will come good as he is more settled. Kompany struggled last season due to nagging injury (ankle?) but he should be ready to go now. Also, Sterling running tirelessly down the left flank will keep the opposition on their toes. And if we get KdB? We will be frightening up top.

I'd still like to see one more CM sign as well as a defender that can play as either LB or CB. But I do think some of our defensive frailties from last season won't carry over into this one regardless of whether we sign new players.
I disagree too, I was just posting about the media and the general perception in answer to the thread title

Not lucky, just that we did have a clear weakness in midfield we were able to mask with rampant goalscoring. But that's not something any team should count on. It's better to try to have balance.

Just my opinion, of course. Not trolling, man. Holding a different opinion, and discussing it in a respectful way, is not trolling.

If you are not trolling you are talking nonsense. In my opinion of course.

Do you remember us losing away at Chelsea when they scored that last minute winner? That was in October 2013. Our 2 main midfielders played in that game - Dinho and Yaya. The next 28 league games they started together, until the away loss at Liverpool this year in March 15, our record in those games was W23 D 4 L1. That my friend is not a weakness. It was the opposite - an incredible show of strength.

If you are not trolling you are talking nonsense. In my opinion of course.

Do you remember us losing away at Chelsea when they scored that last minute winner? That was in October 2013. Our 2 main midfielders played in that game - Dinho and Yaya. The next 28 league games they started together, until the away loss at Liverpool this year in March 15, they started another 28 league league games together. Our record in those games was W23 D 4 L1. That my friend is not a weakness. It was the opposite - an incredible show of strength.

I don't believe simple statistics tell the whole story. Watching those matches I remember Yaya regularly bounding forward and slacking on his defensive duties, which left us exposed regularly. Obviously the strength of the squad overall kept us getting points, and of course the incredible goal tallies.

Anyway, if we were talking about 30 year old Yaya, instead of 32 year old Yaya, then I might be less worried. Yaya is older now and has become even less interested in tracking back. But as I've said in this and other topics, we'll be fine since we seem to be moving to a 433, where Yaya will have the cover of 2 men instead of just 1. Frankly this argument is rather silly considering that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.