Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

Bacause to do well in the Prem you need to be resilient and sometimes dig deep to get you through games. It's a slog, and you need to be mentally strong in every game. Unfortunately, after Mancini's title win, our mentality has evolved into lightweight and more concerned about being pretty and nice. I'm interested to see if this approach can ever win the Prem as it certainly hasn't worked for Arsenal over the years.

All super clubs have passionately active support. We haven't and this is one of the reasons that we can't claim that status. Chelsea have the same problem. All of the other requirements are in place, but the introduction of a great atmosphere every game cannot be addressed easily.

Make people want to come? Better marketing and image.
Cheaper tickets?
Better players (superstars, e.g. Neymar, Bale)

Putting all our eggs in the Pep basket meaning we had three years of coasting. Poor recruitment and allowing key areas of the squad to stagnate.
Sure, FFP might of slowed us a tad but then you look at money we've spunked on terrible buys and it's an argument that doesn't hold much water.
There's quite a few reasons tbf, some within our control, some out. There's no doubt in my mind though that for such an impressive owner we've not developed anywhere near like I'd have hoped.
All the said, Pep is here finally so we'll see if it was worth the wait soon enough.

Still plenty of time.
Incidentally, the big issue so far has been player replacement policy. Full backs needing to be replaced for years, selling Dzeko and replacing him with Bony, failing to replace Kompany (or at least buy a nearly-as-good alternative).

Still plenty of time.
Incidentally, the big issue so far has been player replacement policy. Full backs needing to be replaced for years, selling Dzeko and replacing him with Bony, failing to replace Kompany (or at least buy a nearly-as-good alternative).

Not for us old fuckers. The years/seasons are rushing by ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.