Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

how long does it take to become a 'super club'?

Clubs like Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc have been peforming at the top for decades. Its arrogant to think that no matter how much money we have or spend, we should be a 'super club' within a few years when its takes decades of continued success.

we've come a long way granted in a short space of time and we compete in the most competitive league in the modern game, but come back to me when we have won the league about 10 times, domiated our country for a good number of years and won a few European Cups then we might have a shot of being labelled as a 'super club' .... IMO.

It hasn't taken Chelsea decades though. I'm not saying we can match Barca and Madrid in 2 years, that'd be silly, but we should, in my opinion, have won at least one more title and one more FA Cup since the takeover, and made a better title challenge this year.

We took our eye off the ball with transfers and with treading water waiting for Pep, and now we're not seen as the dominant English team when a continuation of our success from the 2012 title would have us up there by now, although not at Bayern, Barca level, obviously. But in this country, we'd be top dogs.

We simply didn't capitalise on the unique position we were in at 93-20. We were the most popular champions off the field,with the best team on the field.

Bobby wanted Javi Martinez,Van Piss Pot,Alexi Sanchez & Daniel de Rossi anyone of whom would've strengthened the squad. He got none of them,politics took over & we finished ELEVEN points behind the rags!!

The treatment of Bobby at Wembley was DISGRACEFUL.

Since then we've had a one season wonder manager as the club mortgaged its future waiting 3 years for Pep.

We could & should have been the predominant PLclub,striding ahead before the additional TV money balanced the field for the other teams.

1st,2nd,1st,4th,3rd. No FAC. 2 Milk Cups. Looks ok but imo were no better today than we were at 93-20.

Got to win the PL next season !!

We simply didn't capitalise on the unique position we were in at 93-20. We were the most popular champions off the field,with the best team on the field.

Bobby wanted Javi Martinez,Van Piss Pot,Alexi Sanchez & Daniel de Rossi anyone of whom would've strengthened the squad. He got none of them,politics took over & we finished ELEVEN points behind the rags!!

The treatment of Bobby at Wembley was DISGRACEFUL.

Since then we've had a one season wonder manager as the club mortgaged its future waiting 3 years for Pep.

We could & should have been the predominant PLclub,striding ahead before the additional TV money balanced the field for the other teams.

1st,2nd,1st,4th,3rd. No FAC. 2 Milk Cups. Looks ok but imo were no better today than we were at 93-20.

Got to win the PL next season !!
Chelsea are effectively in the position we were in at 93:20. They have a top manager. They also have loads of money and don't have to worry about FFP so why should we just automatically knock them off their pedestal when you think it's straightforward staying in that pre-eminent position?

As long as we improve next season and look like we're working our way back. The buys of Stones, Jesus and Sane were a good start, but we've got to complete the rebuilding job now under intense competition that we didn't have before. I think we have done the hardest part in bringing in attacking players and we'll find it easier to replace defenders but still we've got to do what Wenger failed to do in 20 years and build a second title winning team.

I agree with your main point that City effectively allowed the last squad to die by not replacing players effectively

Chelsea are effectively in the position we were in at 93:20. They have a top manager. They also have loads of money and don't have to worry about FFP so why should we just automatically knock them off their pedestal when you think it's straightforward staying in that pre-eminent position?

As long as we improve next season and look like we're working our way back. The buys of Stones, Jesus and Sane were a good start, but we've got to complete the rebuilding job now under intense competition that we didn't have before. I think we have done the hardest part in bringing in attacking players and we'll find it easier to replace defenders but still we've got to do what Wenger failed to do in 20 years and build a second title winning team.

I agree with your main point that City effectively allowed the last squad to die by not replacing players effectively

Chvski + Champs league = more games,more rotation,more injuries,fatigue etc = level playing field !

For me a super club is one that has in recent times constantly won their league or been in the title mix until the end and has gone far in the Champions League winning it and making finals, semi-finals every year.

I would put Real, Barca and Bayern there with Juve slowly joining.

In England, Chelsea can possibly join in the next few years if they kick on from now, they need to seriously strengthen because as of right now they would not make it past the round of 16. I can potentially see them struggle next season, they've played good this year but have had one game a week, no serious injuries, and big decisions in their favor. We should win the league next season and go further in the CL and we will be getting there slowly, a CL win is needed to gain super club status IMO. All other clubs are much further than us.

In Italy, Juve are slowly getting there. Other clubs like Milan, Inter, Roma are all again very far away from being a super club.
In France, our closest competition in terms of PSG, also a few years away. I believe they haven't made it past the quarter finals yet and will also be needing a CL win.
In Germany, Bayern is there and no other club is close.
In Spain, Barca and Real are there and Athelico is not that close, they have been doing good in the CL but haven't won it yet and are probably not close, they have been out of the title race for months. For their financial situation they have done very well but I can't see them competing with the big clubs.

The expectations of Pep are extremely high and he will be expected to deliver next season and will be supported in the transfer window. We have to get it right there summer and I think we will.

If we want to become a superclub, the next 5 years should look something like this, which is probably not far off of what the owners are expecting. I am sure they are expecting the Champions League title within the next 5 years and also a few PL titles.

Premier League Champions League
2017/2018 1st Semi-final
2018/2019 2nd Semi-final
2019/2020 1st Winners
2020/2021 2nd Semi-final
2021/2022 1st Final

I didn't mention FA cups and Capital one cups but I am sure they are important to the club and City will be expected to compete for them as well but are of course 2nd priority to the league and CL.

Now is this realistic, I don't know, we need to get the right players in this summer and it will be a possibility. Its safe to say the last season and this one have been disappointments, especially in the league. In the league our finishes looked something like the above before finishing 4th last season so I think we can push on and repeat that. The CL will be the true test and this year we showed our inexperience but with Pep I think we can win it in the future. Everything depends on who we bring in this summer. Quality players are a must and not only in the starting 11, we need a better squad overall and not have such a gap in quality with players like Noltio, Fernando, Navas sitting on the bench who functionally bring us nothing when coming on.

We've bought too many average players, and in doing so wasted £100's of millions in the process. As many of us have stated constantly, the full back situation/problem hasn't been addressed from one season to another.

There are numerous arguments for and against the sacking of Mancini. But Pellegrini was always a stop gap for Pep.
He was never allowed to build something permanent. Will Pep? He's only here for 3 seasons as well. The first season is over. No trophies. A possible CL place. Another set of new players. Back to square 1 again with only 2 seasons left until Pep goes.(maybe?) Then another new manager.The cycle starts again.

Another club policy, if it is one, allowing players to run down their contracts before we off load them. Not every player, but plenty of them. Why? This stops new or young players signing and coming through. All our current full backs are either too old or not good enough now.(it hurts me to say that about Zab)

The list of average players we have bought is shocking. Sinclair, Rodwell, Bony, Mangala, Nolito, etc. Not to mention numerous players we have signed, even last Summer, who we've sent to other club straightaway, and by all accounts haven't done much or been flops. What kind of player recruitment policy is that? It clearly isn't working and is wasting money.

But what do we know as fans?

Errm

Dominant haul of trophies is past 4 yrs
More points than any PL team over past 4 yrs
Semi Final in CL
KDB and Silva most assists in PL
Future ballon Dor level performers in Sane and Jesus
Dominant womens team
Dominant youth teams
Best facilities possibly in world football
Manager widely hailed as best in world football

I could go on but all from a standing start

wtf have rags and Liverpool achieved in same time, Chelsea didn't qualify for CL last year

What exactly do you all want?

Sure the purchasing of players has been hit and miss but your never going to get a smooth trajectory

The article talks utter shit

This is bollocks

What the fuck is a "superclub"?

We're on a long journey here, the whole club, the CFG, the Academy, is all being built from the ground up, and the first thing that is laid is foundations, you go up from there.

Sure we spent a lot of money, and it helped us to a decent haul of silverware in the last 8 years or so, but the whole thing is still being built, we're still in the early stages. It has to be done this way. I don't give a shit if some tin pot reporter thinks we should have done more in rhat time, fuck him.

We saw Blackburn pick up a title back in the day with the purchase of top drawer players, but the foundations weren't laid, and look where they are now. The clubs currently around us have had a lot longer than us to build and establish, and it shows it many ways, not least in the easy ride they get from the media. We're still "new money", and that's vulgar to them, so you get shite filler pieces like this.

This club is going to nothing but get better, bigger, stronger, and it will be built on solid foundations. Ffs, we're not going to win everything all the time, but we will take a good slice of what's on offer.
Good post bud.

This "new money" term I like as we all know, societies Elite eventually come to accept the new family that have just moved onto the Posh Estate from their council house (yea, we could buy our council house but decided to up the rental payments and put on a conservatory, with a new park for the kids to play in)
And they currently live in envy as our Uncle Jesus has just parked up on the driveway in his Rolls Royce.
They took the piss out of our Nephew Raheem as he likes a Greggs Pastie, but meh, he'll continue playing knock a door run at their detached house.
And I highly doubt those fat old men living on fleet street would catch Leroy.
Most of this estate are White and or Jewish and don't appreciate The Al Nahyan families Islamic traditions.

We are progressing however and investing in the local community, with all our children going through private educations, the impoverished kids on the local estates also get help with our CITC scheme, and if they are good at our trades they can play on that park that we built, and get a private ed. Themselves.

The tide will turn, we just have to be patient.
I heard a rumour that one of our extended family members has invested in other key sports such as UFC, we've also had the local Chinese restaurant buy into one of our businesses, and it looks like BT is becoming a bigger challenger of Murdoch's Might... I wonder who's in BT's corner these days eh???

Fuck the media. Newspapers are a dying format.
Through Sheikhs contacts we'll have our fingers in all that shit at the top level soon (if not already)

It's better to be noticed than ignored.
Remember when you'd watch tv/radio/newspapers etc without even a mention of our club?
Now it's constant, be it negative, we're still in people's faces.
Our Social media accounts have more activity on it from non city fans than from Blues.

City are back, we just have to do the business on the green grass now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.