Why Moyes & Everton have us over a barrel...

Darker shade of Blue said:
Some of you seem to be overlooking some key points as to why Lescott hasn't been sold by Moyes ..

1 - He is under contract at Everton untill 2012 .

You can go round in circles as to theories and assumptions , but the bottom line is that it's time footballers and clubs respected the contracts that they sign .

True, it probably is - though if that's an implicit criticism of City for making an approach for Lescott, it applies with equal validity to Everton for making an approach to Sheffield United for Kyle Naughton. That cuts both ways.

2 - Even if Everton had been tempted to sell , or if Lescott had wanted to move , it requires both parties to agree . In this case , it appears that neither party are determined to push through a transfer .

Can't disagree here.

As for the theory of the World Cup , I agree that will be a factor in Lescotts decision , but there are many other factors besides this .

Everton don't want to take steps backwards , and disassembling what is considered by many as one of the finest defensive partnerships in the game would be a big step backwards , and very difficult to regain .

Nor here - I don't blame Moyes at all for fighting tooth and nail to keep lescott - If Real Madrid came in for Ireland, I'd hope Hughes did the same.

Everton will have 3 top class players returning to the team this season in Yakubu ( one of the top strikers in the league ) , Arteta ( one of the best midfielders in the league ) and eventually Jagielka ( one of the best defenders in the league last season ) . This is my opinion of course , but I think it's a reasonable one .

Whilst I may not agree with quite how highly you rate these players, they're certainly strong premiership players, or rather (and this is a crucial point) they were before they were injured - there are no guarantees that they'll be as good as they were before their injuries. Even though they are coming back, if Moyes has any sense he'll recognise the possibility that they'll not be the players they were before they were injured, or that they'll take time to regain match fitness and form. In Jagielka's case, that may take until February next year, if the timetables flashed about in the media about his return date are to be believed.

If those 3 players were signings , then they would be very strong signings indeed .

See comments above. If they were new signings, you'd question your medical staff. Fit, they're strong signings, but are they fit?

Add them to a side that is the 5th best team in the Premiership not on opinion , but on a proven track record , and that makes them truly a force to be reckoned with .

Add to that one or 2 transfers of good quality , which I still believe will happen in this window , and Everton will be looking very good indeed .

We'll wait and see. Senderos doesn't fit the definition here, in my opinion.

With a decision on the new ground about to happen , and with it , a strong possibility of investment to follow , there are some very good reasons why Lescott would want to stay , and why Moyes would make sure he does .

In terms of investment, this is a refrain I hear from lots of clubs. Liverpool seem to be endlessly on the verge of new investment and have been for two years - the same song I notice here. It reminds me of that Charlie Brown cartoon strip where the annoying girl with the big hair would hold the football for Charlie Brown to kick and every time he tried, she'd pull it away from him and he'd land on his arse, but every time she'd convince him that she wouldn't pull the ball away. So it is with fans and investment. There's always a new investor in discussions, there is always a saviour round the corner - usually about the time season ticket renewals are due yet strangely the investment never comes.

How long have Everton been looking for new investment. What are the terms? Will Kenwright sell up? Is the current economic climate encouraging this kind of investment? It certainly isn't if the buyer wants to load debt onto the club, because these kind of arrangements are harder to find now than when Gillette, Hicks and Glazer turned up. I think by any sensible or realistic measure, major investment in Everton now is less likely than it was this time last year - IF you get a new stadium, that might change, though evidence suggests it probably won't (see Arsenal about how financing a new stadium comes BEFORE investors see the advantages). This is the big gamble - If Everton have to fund a new stadium development on the back of current land prices without any significant inward investment, then it won't be just Lescott they have to sell, and fire sales generally don't do good things to player values. New stadia can both create and burn money.

Nevertheless, the earlier points you make are valid. Moyes doesn't have to sell, and Lescott is making it easy for him. That's fine (though I'd argue the moral high ground in terms of contract loyalty is an uncomfortable place for any football club to stand) - I can understand not wanting to sell one of Everton's best players.

From my point of view, City need to chalk the whole episode down to experience and move on. If Hughes is really keen on Lescott, he can make an approach again next summer. One would hope we'd be looking at the next standard of player up by then though. I don't really blame Moyes for doing what any manager in that situation would do. That said, some of his public protestations on the matter have been sour-tempered and cheap shots. It wasn't us that leaked any of this (or the fact that Jo was training with Everton) so he's dropped a few pegs in my estimation on his performance there, which came across as like a petulent teenager.

Everton are not a good option for Investment. Why ?

- They need a new ground and to build a decent one in Liverpool would cost £200 million + This has also been the main stumbling block for Liverpool finding new investment.

- Poor support base and demographics in the city ; rapidly declining population.

- As an established top 10 premiership side the current owners will want a sustantial sum to buy the club.

- They have finished in the top 6 for the last few season - its clear to take them forward would take signinificant investment in the squad in addition to the money needed to build the new ground and actually buy the club.

City will be the third best supported side in the league next season. We already have an exceptional stadium in place more than good enough for a top 4 team along with the best home grown youth academy in the country.

Manchester is Englands second city and the only significant draw outside the south. This is why we have received the investment we have and for the reasons mentioned why Everton will never receive significant investment IMO.

alera said:

- They need a new ground and to build a decent one in Liverpool would cost £200 million + This has also been the main stumbling block for Liverpool finding new investment.

- Poor support base and demographics in the city ; rapidly declining population.

- As an established top 10 premiership side the current owners will want a sustantial sum to buy the club.

- They have finished in the top 6 for the last few season - its clear to take them forward would take signinificant investment in the squad in addition to the money needed to build the new ground and actually buy the club.

City will be the third best supported side in the league next season. We already have an exceptional stadium in place more than good enough for a top 4 team along with the best home grown youth academy in the country.

Manchester is Englands second city and the only significant draw outside the south. This is why we have received the investment we have and for the reasons mentioned why Everton will never receive significant investment IMO.

ANY football team is a poor investment. Abramovich, ADUG, the Glazers, Hicks and Gillette, Randy Lerner etc will ALL have lost money from their investments. Maybe with the huge worldwide fanbase United and Liverpool have they will start to see profits in the long term, but the majority will never be profitable. Unless you saddle the club with huge debts, or as ADUG have done spend your own money with no aim in recooping it, you're never going to get the kind of investment most clubs want.

As for the original posters opinion on City being held over a barrel, this is only true if we haven't got an alternative to Lescott. At some point we will pull the plug and move on, then Everton's position is simple, they're down £20m, they've got an unsettled defender who isn't going to feel like extending his contract anytime soon (and whose value will be decreasing) and they're still no closer to competing with the Big 4.

Everton are worst than most though for the reasons I have mentioned. There is no compeling reason for someone to invest in them.

alera said:

I think the reason why we were invested in was a unique piece of good fortune of being available cheap (ish), with an owner desperate to sell and excellent contacts in the international business world (unlike Ashley, it would seem) and in an area ripe for re-development where significant investment had already been made. Clearly other cities are attractive in redevelopment and investment terms, otherwise Albert Dock or the Bull Ring area of Birmingham wouldn't exist. The difference between those developments and a new Everton stadium opportunity would be the ability of Everton to drive that level of development in West Kirby, which is why I think that if new investors came into Everton, they'd want to buy the club (is Kenwright prepared to sell), they'd want some pretty clear ideas from the local council about what their plans are for the stadium area, including how much they'd be prepared to stump up. I doubt it'll be on the Sportcity scale, and that's what would limit Everton's attractiveness as an investment opportunity.

alera said:

You live on another planet at times.

Everton have a low crowd at times because on the poor ground. It was the same with you lot ate MR, and now you have your shiny new free stadium you can almost look decent, support wise. Still not exactly mind blowing.

5 -7k Empty seats a game.....you may as well have stayed at MR.

Manchester City have fan base around the same as Everton do, their is nothing to suggest its any other way.

You recent higher average crowds is by no means a way to judge your fan base.

Sorry whats your average attendance again ? City will be the third best supported side in the league this season. FACT.

Where will Everton be attendance wise ? Mid table at best.

We have 40,000 season ticket holders these days FFS.....

alera said:
Sorry whats your average attendance again ? City will be the third best supported side in the league this season. FACT.

Where will Everton be attendance wise ? Mid table at best.
well lets look Chelsea, Liverpool, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Spuds to name just a few that will be lower than us and higher than Everton

Just to clarify my position in light of one of the posts above I meant that Everton have us over a barrel over Lescott... I am sure we will end up pulling the plug and moving on to another target - I just hope to god it's not Upson ffs.

Some very interesting debate on here... this page especially - nice to see the return of some intelligent posting.

May 24, 2009
Rank Team Total Average
1 Manchester United 1,430,776 75,304
2 Arsenal 1,140,755 60,039
3 Newcastle United 926,244 48,749
4 Liverpool 828,610 43,611
5 Manchester City 815,105 42,900
6 Chelsea 790,172 41,588
7 Sunderland 763,198 40,168
8 Aston Villa 756,422 39,811
9 Tottenham Hotspur 682,646 35,928
10 Everton 677,679 35,667
11 West Ham United 650,307 34,226
12 Middlesbrough 540,144 28,428
13 Stoke City 485,888 26,993
14 West Bromwich Albion 490,726 25,827
15 Hull City 471,507 24,816
16 Fulham 462,462 24,340
17 Blackburn Rovers 446,102 23,479
18 Bolton Wanderers 427,228 22,485
19 Portsmouth 376,762 19,829
20 Wigan Athletic 348,656 18,350
English Premier League - Unofficial Average Attendance: 35,650

what cant speak cant lie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.