Why this was brilliant result

It depends on whether you adjusted your expectations after a City side clearly suffering from an off night right from the start went behind early on against a Villa side playing 11 men in their own half and looking to counter.

The final ball was lacking all night. You'd run out of fingers counting all the times a Villa defender made a pretty easy last-ditch interception. Way, way too many sloppy final balls, letting Villa off the hook.

And again, City look completely vulnerable defending in the air. We've all seen Richard Dunne play enough to know that he's not exactly a major threat on corners, yet he scored once and easily could have had another. And this after those two Fletcher headers at United. Embarrassing, really.

Now we're stuck listening to inane talk of Villa being a threat to crack the top four just like City. One look at that roster tells you Villa will be lucky to finish ahead of Sunderland in seventh this season, let alone challenging for the top four. Not even Villa seem to think they're on City's level. Look at how they played at home against City: parking the bus in front of the goal and looking to catch City out on the counter.

Other than the consolation point, the only real positive takeaway from tonight is the fact that City are being treated like it's now a Big Five by opposing managers, and they can dominate possession away from home like a big club.

To not play as well as he have the potential to do so yet still come away with a point away from home, I guess I am okay with it.

I would have liked to see us take the points towards the end. There were numerous times we were on the counter and simply gave the ball back to Villa.

A few points:
- Ireland has to start. The game completely changed when he came on.
- Santa Cruz?!?!? I'll put it down to lack of match practice.
- Nerves seem to get to Barry.
- Lescott played Agbonlahor onside several times. Right at the beginning of the game the decision went in our favour thank god as he was through on goal.
- Wright-Phillips? I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away needlessly.
- Bellamy, although he worked hard, did not seem to be able to put a decent cross in which sucks considering we had two beanpoles up front.
- Tevez seemed slow and his passing was very off at times, gave the ball away several times needlessly.

To summarise, the game was definately there for the taking if we could have upped our individual game.

On the plus side, 4th with a game in hand. But I think we could have had 2 more points from this.

I wouldn't say it was a brilliant result, but a pretty good one. And it'll be important to pick up points against the likes of Villa away from home if we are to push on toward the top 4.

I've still got a few concerns about the squad and the way we're playing, but overall a lot of positives.

Some good comments on this thread unlike some of the witch hunt threads. RSC got a head wound just after coming on and was wiping it all the time after coming on.
But yes a few below par.
But we are 4th...................

Well we definitely had the better of it. I was very surprised by O'Neill's comments praising his side's performance. Sure they were committed enough; denying us time and space, but it lacked for invention. Time and time again crosses from unthreatening positions sailed over the touchline. I wasn't very impressed with Villa, considering they were the home side, we had the better of things territorially.

Once again we have come back from being behind and shown the resilience and determination
to grind out a result against an industrious, hardworking villa side who really came out fighting. This is what we can expect on our travels now because we are deemed to be
one of the contenders, the big spenders, the team to beat.
We have got winners all across the park and although one or two of them may have had an off day, as a team we came through.
This was a good result - We`re 4th in the league with a game in hand on the teams above us and geniune title challengers.

With regard to Dunne's goal, I was a bit worried before the corner was taken when I saw that Barry was marking him. Dunne's always had the potential to score from set plays, he's proved that for Ireland. For too many years we couldn't get a corner past the first man. That wasn't Dunne's fault.
How many times was Given tested last night, did he make a save?
As someone's pointed out, we've only lost once this season and that was robbery.
With so many new faces coming in during the summer we have to be happy with our start.

Hughes now has a huge problem of who to start in our next match.
DeJong hasn't done anything wrong, but playing the lesser teams Ireland has to start above him.
I still think that Petrov is a better option on the left, so that means Bellers down the middle with SWP or Tevez on the right and on current form I'd give that spot to Tevez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.