Why ''York away''? Should be Northampton.....

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
I always wondered why the significance of York away 1998 being mentioned as a mark of loyalty. To me it should be the Northampton game as City only received around 800 tickets. At York we received a lot more than that.

I had an old Uni friend who lived just outside Northampton and he allowed me to use his address and I rang Northampton up and explained that I worked at a language school in Northampton and that 6 Japanese students wanted to watch the game.
''So they are students'' came the reply, and on telling them that they were, he said I could buy kids priced tickets and gave us family stand tickets.
Ordered the tickets there on the spot and they were sent to my mates house!

On the day, 6 slightly tipsy blokes in their 30's turn up and sat on the front row of the family stand!

As for York, yes it was a milestone game... the last we lost until Oldham & Wycombe late on in the season. I even rang Jimmy Wagg up on the way home and said Royle should be sacked..... (I did ring back around March and apologise lol)
But in terms of loyalty...... the question for me is... ''where were you at Northampton'' ;)

In the home end with my old man! We both live in Northampton. Went to Northampton home and away that season - A draw both games, plus quite a few others.

Yeah remember that, managed to get a ticket off a blue but had to sit with the home crowd but a few blues in there. 2-2 from memory but we equalized quite late I think.

I was at Northampton but out of the country for York. Northampton didn't really know what had hit it that day but we struggled to break them down and were lucky to get the point. A bit like Wrexham where if it wasn't for Weaver we wouldn't have even drawn let alone won!

cobblers!

wycombe was the acid test

if you weren't there you're just a part-timer ;-)

M18CTID said:
Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
I always wondered why the significance of York away 1998 being mentioned as a mark of loyalty. To me it should be the Northampton game as City only received around 800 tickets. At York we received a lot more than that.

I had an old Uni friend who lived just outside Northampton and he allowed me to use his address and I rang Northampton up and explained that I worked at a language school in Northampton and that 6 Japanese students wanted to watch the game.
''So they are students'' came the reply, and on telling them that they were, he said I could buy kids priced tickets and gave us family stand tickets.
Ordered the tickets there on the spot and they were sent to my mates house!

On the day, 6 slightly tipsy blokes in their 30's turn up and sat on the front row of the family stand!

As for York, yes it was a milestone game... the last we lost until Oldham & Wycombe late on in the season. I even rang Jimmy Wagg up on the way home and said Royle should be sacked..... (I did ring back around March and apologise lol)
But in terms of loyalty...... the question for me is... ''where were you at Northampton'' ;)

I was ........ biggest ever attendance at Sixfields that ........ you could even watch the game from the embankment corner behind the goal next to the retail park.......... if i remember rightly did we equalise in the last few minutes ???

Yes. Goater made it 2-2. I think it was part of a sequence of 4 successive away league games where we scored late or last-minute equalisers or winners:

Notts County away 1-1 - Goater
Macc away 1-0 - Goater
Northampton away 2-2 - Goater
Millwall away 1-1 - Bradbury

M18CTID I think we are in quite a selective group who never missed a game that season
I always think Colchester away was the toughest game of that season to get tickets for and was one of the very first pay for view 6.30 kick off on a Saturday night and I think am allocation of less than 1000

I changed ends that night as well so been to layer road once and have watched from two different stands that may be some sort of a record

Bollocks Exeter away (friendly) was the real test if being a true Blue and I was there.

whp.blue said:
Blue Mist said:
Bollocks Exeter away (friendly) was the real test if being a true Blue and I was there.

was that a tuesday night?
I have a funny feeling it was but if you were there then the day doesn't matter, just the fact that you can say 'I was there'.

I think it was arranged as a 'Thankyou' for getting Buster Phillips !!

and I'll be honest, I was on holiday at the time so wasn't that big a journey !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.