Why ''York away''? Should be Northampton.....

bluevengence said:
xgorton said:
Talking about low times i was at maine rd v swindon in the old 2nd division 8,015 was there in a 63,000 stadium we lost 2-1,remember sat down on steps in the kippax watching game plenty of room,also northampton went up that season into the top flight they only stayed for 1 season.

I think they went from the 4th div to the first
in succesive seasons and back down to div 4 the same way
Your spot on mate.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
jay_mcfc said:
I didn't go to York but I have to say the game for me was Bristol Rovers at home. It was about 10 days before Christmas, the crowd was about 23k and it was the most boring game of football I'd ever seen. We drew 0-0 without even mustering an attack and had officially fell to our worst ever position of about 12th in the third tier. It was utterly soul destroying but then a couple of weeks later we played that game against Stoke and ever since it's been a bed of roses really!

The Bristol Rovers game reminds me also of the other 0-0's that season.... Gillingham and Northampton
All three sold out the away end and all three teams and fans did a lap of honour at the end!!
Interestingly, both Wrexham and Macclesfield brought more fans to Maine Road than actually turned up for a couple of their home games the same season!

Yeah, Colchester were another team that sold out the away section that season and barely got 3,000 for home games! I'm sure there were plenty of rags swelling the travelling support for these teams.

lancs blue said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
jay_mcfc said:
I didn't go to York but I have to say the game for me was Bristol Rovers at home. It was about 10 days before Christmas, the crowd was about 23k and it was the most boring game of football I'd ever seen. We drew 0-0 without even mustering an attack and had officially fell to our worst ever position of about 12th in the third tier. It was utterly soul destroying but then a couple of weeks later we played that game against Stoke and ever since it's been a bed of roses really!

The Bristol Rovers game reminds me also of the other 0-0's that season.... Gillingham and Northampton
All three sold out the away end and all three teams and fans did a lap of honour at the end!!
Interestingly, both Wrexham and Macclesfield brought more fans to Maine Road than actually turned up for a couple of their home games the same season!

Yeah, Colchester were another team that sold out the away section that season and barely got 3,000 for home games! I'm sure there were plenty of rags swelling the travelling support for these teams.

and the home teams when we were paying away!!!
Gillingham was the worst.... rags stood in the home end next to us wearing their replica shirts!!!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
lancs blue said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

and the home teams when we were paying away!!!
Gillingham was the worst.... rags stood in the home end next to us wearing their replica shirts!!!

And at Northampton..i think the stewards removed him for
his own saftey

Like other posters have said York away was different to Northampton or Wrexham because it was our lowest point. There were 3 of us and our 3 lads, we'd done all the away games up until York when my mate finally snapped, he said he couldn't take it anymore and he was sacking the aways as it was making him so depressed. He kept to his word and didn't go to another that season.
For me, well I did Northampton after queueing for hours to get a ticket and I did Wrexham, I did loads of shit away games that season but York was the worst in every way possible. What I will always be glad of was it helped me bond with my 2 lads, they were taken to the pubs, they had their first beers they just got City in their blood and as we said at the time,"If it wasn't for the 90 minutes we had a great day out". But I never want to go back to those times !!!

northampton away was a woman getting tickets for, pre ordering over the phone and the internet.

northampton wouldnt sell to anybody who didnt have a northampton postcode, so the only way i could get around this was to order a ticket for their gamer against notts county and a ticket for the city game.

needs must and all that.

as for the york game, we we atrocious, i remember chris kamara stood near the city fans, and russell scoring for out wide, dont know if it was a shot or a cross to this day.

and as for wrexham away, when a certain terry cook took edgill (i think) to the cleaners, how we won i don't know, and a certain gareth taylor hit the bar from six inches.

It wasn't in the old second division, but the 2-1 loss at Port Vale in 97/98 was the low point for me. Abysmal display and who can forget the paraplegics game at half time with everyone screaming "Nooo... bring 'em back on!" as the players emerged for the second half... That's the day I knew we were entering the abyss...

xgorton said:
Talking about low times i was at maine rd v swindon in the old 2nd division 8,015 was there in a 63,000 stadium we lost 2-1,remember sat down on steps in the kippax watching game plenty of room,also northampton went up that season into the top flight they only stayed for 1 season.

What ever happened to this as our low point ?Was one of my earliest games,went with my Dad and spent most of the afternoon running up and down the terraces,plenty of room,despite 30,000 people alleging they went !!!

Remember a young winger called Summerbee played for Swindon and had some talent,whatever happened to him ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.