Why you supported our wonderful club

My grandfather came to Manchester from Leeds around 1900 and began watching City. He went to watch them bring the cup home in 1904 apparently. My dad was brought up as a City fan and all my mum's brothers were City fans so from 1955 onwards I was taken with the family to see City. When I had lads of my own they came with my Dad and me to watch the blues, but this ended in the early 80s with the increasing trouble, not at inside the ground but rather going to the ground and from it after the match. Working away from Manchester and then abroad made getting to games out of the question, but we managed to get there again when we were in the third division! It's a dad's'n'lads thing.

Like so many, I was taken as a child by my father.

But I'll tell a little story I have done before about the coda to it.

My father went constantly from his boyhood to the mid seventies until the family moved south when I was little. So I didn't get quite the same experience, it was going to visit family that I would be taken to games ("I've put up with it for 40 years, I don't see why he should get away with it"), so throughout the eighties I would go to occasional games. It was always a wonderful treat.

Into my adulthood I'd still make the trek north to see City. Not often, maybe a couple of games a season, and more usually to City away matches in the south in those days when you could get tickets for them.

My father as he got older stopped going more or less. He had grown out of the habit of it, though would watch on TV and still was very much a blue.

Come 2011 and City reached the cup final. A friend of mine was a member of the Sussex FA and they got tickets to such things, and knowing me as a City fan asked if I wanted them. Obviously I did.

So I rang my father and said that it was 30 years since he first took me to a game, the FA Cup 3rd round v Crystal Palace (January 3rd, 1981). He didn't remember. I then said that year City had reached the cup final, and we watched it at home. Wouldn't it be nice, all those years later to watch it together again?

"Oh yes it would. That would be nice. Do you want to come down and watch it with us?"

"I could dad. Or you could come with me to Wembley".

I will treasure that long silence for the rest of my life. And what a day we had. The turning of the circle - son taking his father to football.

I love my Dad for introducing me to City. And though I don't go remotely as often as many on here, I do go. I'm there on Saturday, I'm up for the Spurs league match. All because he took a little boy to Maine Road, wide eyed in the North Stand, wondering who this lady with a bell was, watching Joe Corrigan patrol his six yard box and do shuttle runs across it.

Fantastic stuff, Henkers, old boy!

Sure I've said it before The local minister in Marple was a Geordie, knew my old man and took me to Maine Road for the game. 1967 thank you Bill Heweson.
Please no obtuse comments as his daughter was killed in an accident , cheers.

My dad scarpered as soon as I was born! He was a rag twat, met up with him 20 years later and told him where to go. My mum married a blue. He was a bigger twat who knocked seven shades out of Mum, my step-sister and two step brothers (the kids he had with my mum after they married) and he took a great delight in battering me most of all.
It was him that took me to my first game 5-1 against Newcastle 18/1/75 and I found my escape, my love and reason for living.
I don’t thank him one bit because it was my choice to be a City fan. I love this club with every single breath I will ever take. Extreme? Maybe. Mad? Definitely. I never question why, I don’t ever want the answer.
I really did have the last laugh too cos the bald headed twat died in April 2011 so he missed the start of it all.

dad took me and my two brothers early to mid seventies a night match at home to Carlisle we got beat 2 1 (an all to regular occurrence for a lot of my teenage years)but we were all hooked to a magical game under floodlights.couldnt understand why my dad was so pissed off on the way home.

Whilst you obviously aren't my first team, I started looking out for City after Paul Powers amazing free kick in the 1981 semi final.
I was about the only kid at school that wanted you to beat Spurs

Kinkladze. Father has always supported the other folk. Same with other extended family. Mother never really cared for footy.

Didn’t get on with him that well growing up. Saw a game where he had the ball glued to his foot; Mesmerising. When talk of football and support came from my father, told him I liked Kinkladze. He asked who he played for. When I told him City, he said to me I’d have to live elsewhere. Haha.

Also went to Bede’s as well. Met Lawlor, Gunn and a few others when I was there. Remember when Mancini came to the school and went to the chapel to pray before the all important game (I think it was around that time). Joked about how that little visit helped win it. I digress.

Being left alone with the TV on and watching highlight reels of Kinkladze got me hooked on the team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.