Why you supported our wonderful club

My dad took me to watch a city reserves match at night.. I was hooked as soon as I saw those blue shirts. Great debut

Although i live in Hertfordshire know, i grew up in Stockport and my dad took me and i was a junior blue for a while

It could have been different - I was born in Glasgow and arrived in Cheadle Hulme and then Wythenshawe via Northumberland. Somewhere along the line I started supporting Celtic - they were European Champions so perhaps I was a glory hunter. My first live match was at Clydebank with my Grandpa, at school most people were City fans but a neighbour took us to see United and a cousin tried to convert me by taking me to Ibrox. Dad really wasn't interested but for my 10th birthday we went to Maine Road - night match, lights, atmosphere, green grass and we both fell for it. After that every Saturday he would take three us to Maine Road - first full season was 71-72 when we should have won the league. There was a spell when I would have said I supported Celtic and City but somewhere around '74 it was clearly just City.

Sometimes think how different it could have been - if we had stayed in Northumberland could it have been Newcastle or Berwick? If Dad's work had moved him somewhere totally different then - Sheffield or Wigan or even Liverpool! Thankfully it was Manchester and it was City - what a great adventure!

It's still the main place I meet up with my brothers - we will be at Wembley together this evening whilst Dad watches on the tele if he remembers it's on.

I used to chain Noel Gallagher interview videos on youtube. He almost always brought up his love for Man City. When streaming reliability appeared to connect me in real time to the club from so far away I decided to become a fan - completely unaware a kajillionaire had just bought the team. ha

It was an easy decision. Families on both sides were from Gorton and there were very few Rags in the family. My uncle commentated for City on Piccadilly radio. I don’t know if I was just lucky but I don’t remember meeting many Rags in Denton where I grew up - it’s not like they attracted the glory hunters back in the seventies as other than the odd FA cup they were pretty shit. Now when I tell someone I’m a blue I feel I have to prove my credentials

Dad took me when I was 5 or 6 to Maine Road. He was young and a big City fan. We didn't have much money but had some great family days out to watch City away. Sadly my dad is no longer alive but everytime I go and watch City I feel closer to him. When they play that old song about Manchester City before the start of each game, the line about ,'maybe in another generation when other lads have come to take our place, they'll carry on the glory of the city..'reminds me so much of my childhood watching City with my dad. Shame he's no longer here to see us playing some truely wonderful football. He was a proud blue and so am I. Love you dad x

I am really enjoying reading this thread many with some strange watery stuff coming out from my eyes …….like some one else posted although I now live some 300 miles away from Manchester as every day goes by I feel more and more proud to be a manc and that my family roots run deep into this wonderful place, in fact at the age of 57 I got my first tattoo ! the City badge from the 80's !! I feel more manc every day and yes most of my accent has since long gone but my mrs says she can hear it sometimes !!. my lads are both City and have had the family tour around burnage and eastern circle where it all started for us and than onto my old house as a little manc, merlyn ave in Didsbury...…...so my lads know their roots which is very important to me :)
I wear my dads wedding ring as mind so he is always with us when you come back to watch and I find myself twiddling with the ring through out the games ...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.