Why you supported our wonderful club

Dad is from Rusholme/Moss Side, he's a blue and thats why I am. He first started going after the end of WWII, said he was completely over awed by Maine Road when he first went there, said inside Maine Road was just unbelievably huge the atmosphere was just incredible,

Dad says there is not a word he knows of in English that could properly desrcibe how he felt on his first attendance.

So was I when he took me to my first game there, a 0-0 with Leeds in what was Division 2 , Jan 1984 0-0, Harvey in goal for Leeds played a blinder if I remember.

First away game Oldham Good Friday 1984 2-2, Think ex City player Kenny Clemments scored for Oldham. Was deffo a colourful day in Oldham, all sorts of mischief going on.

First proper away game Portsmouth 85, 2-1 win, Simpson with a belter for the winner.

Last edited:
My father came to Manchester in 1958 from Ireland where the local Laois team wore blue plus he didn’t like the way the Rags seemed to milk the grief over the tragedy of Munich.A wise choice and he brought me up the right way.

I’ve got my Grandad to thank (or blame through my school years, trotting off to a world of grief for my City rucksack from my Rag schoolmates)... Vividly remember my first match at Maine Road on a Saturday afternoon sometime in the late eighties, standing on the corner near the chippy surrounded with noise, fans and steaming giants of police horses and him slipping a City pin badge into my hand like a rite of passage. Gutted I can’t for the life of me remember who we played...overcome with the whole experience I think! Many happy times in the North Stand chewing Juicy Fruit and learning ripe language and terrace songs like hymns at our chosen place of worship.

Coming from a divided family (my Mum and I are blues, my Dad and brother reds), I can safely say I’m now enjoying our time in the sunshine, I’ve had my nose rubbed in it for decades and this is pure karma. Mum and I used to travel all over the place on derby days just to avoid the inevitable gloating from them... no more!

Just sad that my epic Grandad isn’t here to see it. He’d be proud that I’m instilling the same values in his 7 year old great granddaughter, and she knows all about Bert Trautmann and every word of Boys in Blue. Still here in spirit GHM x

It was an easy decision. Families on both sides were from Gorton and there were very few Rags in the family. My uncle commentated for City on Piccadilly radio. I don’t know if I was just lucky but I don’t remember meeting many Rags in Denton where I grew up - it’s not like they attracted the glory hunters back in the seventies as other than the odd FA cup they were pretty shit. Now when I tell someone I’m a blue I feel I have to prove my credentials

Brian Clarke?

Am gonna get a lot of shit for this but the reason I support city was because as a very young child I supported Utd, but when they got relegated, being a fickle child didn't want to support a team in the 2nd div so started supporting city and have never looked back despite all the hard years we have had. There have said it have come out of the closet as being an ex red.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.