Why you supported our wonderful club

My dad and grandad used to take me to Main Road nearly 70 years ago, we went in the Kippax, my dad used to sit me on the wall at the front of the stand with all the other kids.
One of the best things to happen too me thanks dad

My Mums family were blues, my uncle followed City and as I was growing up was desperate to go watch them. Remember him going to Wembley 76 league cup final and he wouldn’t take me, he was like an older brother and I was so devastated, although he brought me back a flag and fcukin blue n white dog cheers. Anyway was my birthday in August and for my 9th birthday I got the best present I’ve ever had first season ticket. Our neighbor and mums friend agreed I could go to the games with her and her husband who never missed. Legends Jim and Mary Tobin never forget your kindness for taking me.
Wish I was back home following the blue boys with my son but can’t have everything, enjoy every moment guys memories forever.

I usually say it's because I grew up in Moss Side but it's because my elder brother supported them. He supported them because my uncles took him to the games and they supported City because when they came over here from Ireland in the '50s Bert Trautmann was the hero here in Manchester - so they went to Maine Road. I got to thank Bert for this when I met him just before he died. He was visibly moved. God bless him.

No family traditions unfortunately. Around 1972 growing up on the school playground was mostly Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool fans. Me and my mate we decided to support City I think it was because we just signed Rodney Marsh. At school break I'd either be Rodney, Franny but mostly I was Colin Bell. Always chose to have No 8 sown onto my Christmas City kits. Those were magical days as a kid. Funny enough my mate went on to be a Derby fan (god knows why) and then finally a Spurs fan.

My uncle had a blue and white budgie called Colin Bell, so my attraction started there.
First game was a league cup replay played on a Tuesday afternoon in January 1974 v Coventry (played in the afternoon due to the miners strike, so no floodlights)
Cant say its not been a difficult journey over the years and I have despised that budgie many a time, but my god am I enjoying this now

Being a young lad I supported Bury and my hero was Colin Bell when he left I followed him.......simple

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.