Why

Because "shit" teams show up to kill the game, playing everyone behind the ball, kick through the back our our players… it's hard for any team to look good against that kind of approach. We had 75%+ possession and dominated the number of shots and corners today. We're not going to hit teams like that on the break, and demonstrate the City's strengths of speed and passing.

Easy answer - space

The ego's of certain clubs mean they can't be seen to come and park the bus. They have to have a go which means throwing bodies forward. When moves break down they might have 3-4 players ahead of the ball and our players are the best in the league if given space to play.

Compare with today, where Palace were happy to break in 2s and 3s and were well covered when they lost possession.

i kne albert davy said:
stony said:
i kne albert davy said:
I'm sure if you'd thought about it a bit more you wouldn't have singled out two players who didn't play today and one who came on as a subsitute.

Wouldn't that mean that he has actually thought about it, and his opinion isn't a knee jerk ?
Possibly yes but as it turns up the day we don't manage to put six passed someone at home I assumed it was a bit knee jerky a bit like the half wit I endured this afternoon who insisted we were shit because we hadn't scored 4 by half time (no reflection on the poster by the way) but we were still playing a premiership football team today and they can play football.
Mate, I can assure you after watching this club for 40+ yrs my knee jerks are not what they once were.
I have not started this thread but merely expressed my view based on my (probably flawed) analysis of watching us struggle vs so called lesser teams over a number of games.
There is no doubt in my mind we have no trouble getting up for the fight against title contenders but we are not so good at dominating other teams.
I certainly have not come on to whine about not winning 6-0 today. Feel free to check my other posts if you doubt me...

Every match is a cup final, with our squad we're the side that the majority of teams want to beat the most, were the biggest scalp!
Most of us have been here before just roles reversed.

andyhinch said:
Do we make shit teams look good, batter the bests teams in the league, I'm interested in your views.

It doesn't help that we put out our backups vs the "shit teams" as you put it. We had 3 of the outfield 10 that bring nothing going forward. Only 1 player that can provide width because neither FB can provide anything in the attacking 3rd. When you play a team playing 10 in the box you need width to open up some space. When we play the elite teams we play all our top players and teams can't handle 10 quality attacking players.

Luckyman T said:
I don't think we made them look good at all, just not our best team out and the players aren't on it like they would be for the big game's also palace players still trying to show Pullis what their about so put in a half decent performance once we'd missed some great chance's which gave them some hope just need to be more clinical with our chance's when we get them.

We could have had three from decent chances and another three from penalties that Marriner chose to ignore, as most refs do these day, from the clear holding of players in the penalty area at corners. 'Twould have been six by HT and we wouldn't be getting the kind of shite that has been spread over the meedya this morning. Mind, Pulis would no doubt get his £350m jibe in somehow!

I don't think that City typically do this anymore, if they ever did. The Liverpool game was a vital victory, and very hard won against an in form side full of confidence. Ditto Arsenal. Top sides who played like top sides and the fact that we took 6 points from those fixtures shows the quality we have.

Crystal Palace played very well and forced City to work hard. But even then, they were very, very lucky to go in level at the break. Tony Pulis is a very capable defensive coach and he got the game plan bang on yesterday against some tired players and others who are not first choice. Well done Palace, but we won a game that they came just to avoid losing. And to me that's how the game looked yesterday.

In this era of fixture pile-ups, you prioritize your battles and more effort goes into the biggest games, less in the smaller games with the idea you can conserve energy/rest players and still beat them (moreso at home, we know differently away where you have to work hard to win nearly every game).

Our performance level yesterday was something like a 3/10 and we still won.

mammutly said:
I don't think that City typically do this anymore, if they ever did. The Liverpool game was a vital victory, and very hard won against an in form side full of confidence. Ditto Arsenal. Top sides who played like top sides and the fact that we took 6 points from those fixtures shows the quality we have.

Crystal Palace played very well and forced City to work hard. But even then, they were very, very lucky to go in level at the break. Tony Pulis is a very capable defensive coach and he got the game plan bang on yesterday against some tired players and others who are not first choice. Well done Palace, but we won a game that they came just to avoid losing. And to me that's how the game looked yesterday.
Good post, but you missed the fact that pulis is a club shop wearing **** :)

bgblue said:
mammutly said:

Good post, but you missed the fact that pulis is a club shop wearing **** :)

Goes without saying, mate. The **** :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.