Will AI wipe out humanity?

If you thought the last few months of AI tech was getting stale... Apple have gone for a slightly different dystopian angle. More of a Minority Report vibe.

Coming to the US by the end of the year for the small price of $3,499.

Of course, given that seems to include a home theater, 3D video camera, and entire desktop in one device I think some will see that as a worthwhile investment.

I am being a bit facetious but the pace of tech developments is equal parts fascinating and frightening. Metaverses, VR, AI, and now AR. It doesn't feel like a stretch to say the world in just 5 years could look drastically different. And who knows whether it will be for the better.

I remember back in about 2011 religiously trying to keep up with developments of Google Glass, which was a doomed project and was ultimately discontinued earlier this year. I couldn't have imagined anything close to this.

When I see things like this I always curse being old and missing out on a lot of this stuff. I love technology and to be able to lie on your bed and watch a movie on a 125" ultrawide 8K screen (without actually owning one) is like a dream to me.

If you thought the last few months of AI tech was getting stale... Apple have gone for a slightly different dystopian angle. More of a Minority Report vibe.

Coming to the US by the end of the year for the small price of $3,499.

Of course, given that seems to include a home theater, 3D video camera, and entire desktop in one device I think some will see that as a worthwhile investment.

I am being a bit facetious but the pace of tech developments is equal parts fascinating and frightening. Metaverses, VR, AI, and now AR. It doesn't feel like a stretch to say the world in just 5 years could look drastically different. And who knows whether it will be for the better.

I remember back in about 2011 religiously trying to keep up with developments of Google Glass, which was a doomed project and was ultimately discontinued earlier this year. I couldn't have imagined anything close to this.

Was speaking to a guy at work about AI and how we could use it (and people already are) in our particular roles.
He's a lad from Korea who now lives in London and is pretty on point with what's going on in the tech world.

Mentioned the Mo Gawdat podcast with Steven Bartlett which contains some startling revelations, but other than toying with ChatGPT and Midjourney I'm not hugely clued up how rapidly AI is growing and just how life changing it will sooner rather than later.

I've listened to most of this 2 hour podcast on a walk I've just been on and there are some astonishing claims (although some of the Reddiit crew seem to think he's rather sensationalist).

And I think that's my toubkle with this type of of podcast. On the surface, super interesting, but there's no come backs or challenges to counter the points being made.
And most times, the guests are on there to sell books, merchandise or appease their shareholders (see the UFOers on the Joe Rogan's show).

Still, food for thought and as I checked my phone on the way in there was a news story on AI helping in the medical world again.
Erring towards this is perhaps a little over dramatic but at the same time something we have to be very cognisant of (even thought that horse has bolted).

Seems to have knocked quantum computing off it's perch for a while and that's something I thought would be the next groundbreaking scientific breakthrough (some time off admittedly).

Thoughts?

YT version:

I love a bit of Miyazaki

He’s right though, my reaction when I heard about “EyeSight” was just to laugh. But it was more of nervous existential crisis kind of laugh.

It’s like they are naming things on purpose to make you uncomfortable.
There's already a few companies called Skynet though so we should be safe there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.