Will any areas of the team need strengthening?

I can't really see much point in January signings unless someone worthwhile becomes available. I'm not holding my breath.

There is a light said:
eshiers1 said:
possibly a new right back

If this happens then that would surely be goodbye micah. He couldn't justify having three senior right backs with Nedum as cover.
Imo the squad numbers need to be kept down so for anyone to come in someone must go out.

I agree, there will inevitabley be some exits unless we get injuries/suspensions...some aint gonna be happy warming the bench, or even not in the match-day squad.
Significantly at this point, with the quality we have in all areas, it is important we have the right personalities around - people who will work their arses off to get back in contention for the team - and support those who are picked. Any bad attitudes need to be axed. From the training reports (cheers NMT!), we seem to have got that part right...for the moment...

Piotr Trochowski is the attacking midfielder we need to challenge/cover Stevie Ireland IMO.

We always need a top right back - Sagna? Maicon? Either would be big money but it's only worth improving this position if we go for genuine world class.

Yaya Toure - like De Jong but bigger and better in the air, and just gives us more options even if that position isn't one we massively need to strengthen.

sam221985 said:
Piotr Trochowski is the attacking midfielder we need to challenge/cover Stevie Ireland IMO.

We always need a top right back - Sagna? Maicon? Either would be big money but it's only worth improving this position if we go for genuine world class.

Yaya Toure - like De Jong but bigger and better in the air, and just gives us more options even if that position isn't one we massively need to strengthen.

probably not bad suggestions...but crikey we're getting greedy aren't we!!!

still think MH will be looking for a real leader - Terry or similar. World class Centre half will be top of his list (even though he's probably very content)...Lescott to provide competition for centre half and left back. Could imagine Richards or Ned maybe being used as bait too...

kiwikiddy said:
still think MH will be looking for a real leader - Terry or similar. World class Centre half will be top of his list (even though he's probably very content)...Lescott to provide competition for centre half and left back. Could imagine Richards or Ned maybe being used as bait too...

When you think back to the derby you see why he wanted Terry in the first place. If he was marshalling the defence we would not have lost that game.

Saying that there is plenty of time for the new centre back partnership to improve.

Just to elaborate, the reasons why I see us making very few (if any) signings in January are:

1. You're going to be paying over the odds
2. Even when paying over the odds, some top players simply won't be available
3. Makes more sense to splurge when we know for sure whether or not we'll be playing CL next year

If people are expecting Maicon, Yaya, [insert big name here], I think they're going to be disappointed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.