Will forced landline rental become the new PPI mis-selling ?

I'm more concerned with why petrol at motorway service stations - where the turnover is highest and distribution costs the lowest - costs 20p more that at your local garage.

Those twats have been ripping us all off in one big cartel/collusion for years. Oh, and why is a bag of fruit pastels there £2.80 when it's £1 at Tesco's. Profiteering, pure and simple and since it's clearly coordinated (they all charge the same), ILLEGAL.

I think the words you're looking for are Captive and Audience. Also staff costs are high due to transport of said staff, apparantly.

I think the words you're looking for are Captive and Audience. Also staff costs are high due to transport of said staff, apparantly.

I think the words I am looking for are Illegal and Price Fixing.

And staff costs? That's a good one. I was unaware the petrol companies paid their staff to get to work ;-)

Seriously, I don't know where you heard that lame excuse, but it holds no water whatsoever does it. Furthermore,
  • How can it cost more to get bulk petrol to Sandbach services than it costs to get it to a petrol station in Aberystwyth? It cannot.
  • How can it cost more per litre of fuel sold, to run a busy forecourt shop than it does to run a sleepy hollow petrol station in the back of beyond? It cannot.
  • How can it cost more to sell petrol at a busy forecourt where all sorts of dry goods are being sold over the counter at exorbitant prices, compared to a sleepy hollow petrol station? It cannot.
The fact is, were this to be truly competitive, petrol at motorway services would be the cheapest in the country: The lowest distribution cost; the highest volumes; lowest overheads per litre sold and highest profits from dry goods.

Yet motorway petrol is extremely expensive, simply and entirely because illegal price fixing is going on.

I think the words I am looking for are Illegal and Price Fixing.

And staff costs? That's a good one. I was unaware the petrol companies paid their staff to get to work ;-)

Seriously, I don't know where you heard that lame excuse, but it holds no water whatsoever does it. Furthermore,
  • How can it cost more to get bulk petrol to Sandbach services than it costs to get it to a petrol station in Aberystwyth? It cannot.
  • How can it cost more per litre of fuel sold, to run a busy forecourt shop than it does to run a sleepy hollow petrol station in the back of beyond? It cannot.
  • How can it cost more to sell petrol at a busy forecourt where all sorts of dry goods are being sold over the counter at exorbitant prices, compared to a sleepy hollow petrol station? It cannot.
The fact is, were this to be truly competitive, petrol at motorway services would be the cheapest in the country: The lowest distribution cost; the highest volumes; lowest overheads per litre sold and highest profits from dry goods.

Yet motorway petrol is extremely expensive, simply and entirely because illegal price fixing is going on.

Lordy, you've got one on you today.Not to mention KFC or BK, A Big Mac or M&S, Smiths,Boots, Harry Ramsdens..........Fill up before the motorway, get the Mrs to make you a sandwich or pull off to fill up but FFS, chill out. ;)

I think the false speeds they advertise is more likely to be the mis-sell.

I know this to be true but what I most appreciate is the progress we have made.
Eighteen years ago I was using a remarkable company called Zen internet for our dial up fix.
Enough to read the paper in it's infancy with the odd chat or two on ICQ to chums across the globe.
And now look at how we fly with our hobbit holes covered in ultra high speed goodness for pennies.
Our window to the world and soon there will be no reason to ever have to venture outdoors.
E-commerce tweeting and interaction like never before on the highways and byeways of our world wide web.
Holidays train tickets planes and automobiles.Interaction news and gaming.
Home shopping at the clik of a mouse and advice and help of all descriptors.
Step by step instructions on youtube from papering the cracks to the safe wiring of elecktrickery it's all there at our disposal.
Truly have we landed but in twenty years from now when everyone is having their daily bread delivered by Drone they will wonder how we all managed back in the day.

I had a dilema last week and got up for a drink and nearly snapped my kneck.
I was still attached to the headphone socket and fully ripped out the mic connector.
At the clik of a mouse button the Amazonian munchkins were hard at work behind the scenes locating my bluetooth adapter with gold connection for £2.99.At Curries they were a tenner so go figure and as a bonus it came next day because I am a member of the famous Amazonian Prime People or the A'ppies for short.

Is it any wonder the pubs are a dying breed.
A gaggle of Steinhausser Dortmunder with all nighter sessions on the web,tv programmes and films downloaded from the heavens for our kind perusal.

The times they are a changing !

Last edited by a moderator:
Car leasing will be the next PFI.

Hard one to prove really - I mean if people are so gullible to give a car dealer £5k for a car up front and £250pm to have the car for 3 years but be limited to a mileage of say 6 feet per year ( excess mileage charged at an exorbitant cost ) then find the dealer notices EVERY mark and stain and charges them to repair it and still wants £9k off them for them to keep the car is that mis-selling? People are dumb - still it guarantees a steady supply of low mileage 2nd hand cars for the rest of us and makes decent nick older stuff ridiculously cheap.

Dispatches on C4 did a good programme on it recently though.

Hard one to prove really - I mean if people are so gullible to give a car dealer £5k for a car up front and £250pm to have the car for 3 years but be limited to a mileage of say 6 feet per year ( excess mileage charged at an exorbitant cost ) then find the dealer notices EVERY mark and stain and charges them to repair it and still wants £9k off them for them to keep the car is that mis-selling? People are dumb - still it guarantees a steady supply of low mileage 2nd hand cars for the rest of us and makes decent nick older stuff ridiculously cheap.

Dispatches on C4 did a good programme on it recently though.

A very colourful post Mr Thru.

Pcp or leasing is the most popular way to secure new tin.
Walk into a dealership with £120 down and 48 monthly payments of a £120.
So pennies down and rent a brand new car for £30 a week ....like wow !

No repair bills tyres brakes etc just the call of the open road and the rush of wind in your face.
Yes you agree a mileage excess charge at the beggining but I would expect most people have an idea what that figure may be.
And its not exorbatant either with most charging 6p to 8 p extra a mile over the agreed distance.
Also the finance rates on pcp are piss cheap from 0% to 2.9 flat.
You can clear the deal at any time without penalty and get a rebate back so absolute flexibility of product.

At the end of the deal pay the balance owing or use it to px the next rental or just hand it back
If you have been tampering in the backseat and made a stain or two then it's not unreasonable to clean up before handing it back
Renting a brand new piece of tin for pennies a week is rather shrewd in my opinion.

So to recap ..
You rent a car on a flexible deal for £30 a week.
Adjust the above price to suit your ego
Hand it back at the end and go again.
This is why pcp is so incredibly popular ..

My car is bought outright because I am dumb : /

Pcp or leasing is the most popular way to secure new tin.
Walk into a dealership with £120 down and 48 monthly payments of a £120.
So pennies down and rent a brand new car for £30 a week ....like wow ! /
What the hell can you get that only depreciates by around £6,000 over 4 years?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.