Will the real Tolmie please stand up ?

A really lovely lady. Tony Livesey once ordered me to stand on a trampoline with her and a pool cue.

I was 19 and it would be called work place abuse nowadays!
She is 5"6 and 72HHH
9805266ce7591e2be0ac262dcc83f8bc.gif

Totally agree about changing careers. For years I worked with a good salary in IT for a major financial institution. With a young family the security was excellent but the work was not my passion.I needed to research; needed to write. I decided I'd go part time initially because it was such a gamble to relinquish that security but my boss said 'but you're a bloke! Only women go part time' which says more about him and the place I worked than me. He made life difficult and it dragged on for months. When he finally relented I'd had enough. I was part time for a month before I took the big gamble and left in 2002. Around this time I managed to persuade City to appoint me on a part time freelance contract basis as the new heritage project manager (setting up the original museum a couple of days a week). Considerably less money than I was earning (it was 2 days a week but was much less than 2/5ths of my old salary). That was a major step and I worked on other temporary projects over the years.

Money was extremely tight and my MCFC part time freelance work ended after almost seven years, but during that time I'd been happy that I was working on something I loved. Writing, research and educating others was something I loved but - as I'm sure Scott will agree - no one wanted to publish much on City and you had to badger publishers all the time. I was never going to be a journalist - that's not my interest or skill - but I wanted to write books, manage history projects and develop research projects that could help us all understand the past.

Since then my career has remained flexible (volatile?) and some years I'd earn only a few pounds (seriously) and others I'd get a good project for a few months. But overall these last two decades of freelance research, writing & projects have been the best I've ever had in terms of freedom and enjoyment. I have never earned as much in a year as my final salary at the bank way back in 2001-02 and I've put in considerably more time into my writing and work than I did back then but I have always been happier than I was then.

It takes a lot to make that career change but I would urge everyone who feels they need to do something else to make it happen. If it's your passion then find a way to do it. Security, money and all the other things you get from your current work are important, but taking the gamble and doing something you want to do is so much more rewarding in the long run. For me success isn't a bank account, car etc. it's about being content and surrounding yourself with positive voices. Best wishes and good luck to anyone who takes the gamble. If I can help with advice etc. then please get in touch.

Scott it’s Dave Jackson ( Jacko ) great days at the MEN along with Chris Greenwood , Chris Harris and then the away days with Mike Holden , Les etc.. look after yourself

Jesus, how are you Jacko? That's a blast from the past. Even then, you guys knew I just wanted to be a journalist and cover City

Fantastic bunch of lads when we had those times. Greeny and you, sticking it to the Reds in Sale and Flixton even back then!!

Some great nights and the days at the MEN opened so many doors for me.

Can't believe it's you, haha!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.