Will you attend City games if we join a European Super League?

Would you attend?

• Yes

Votes: 99 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 706 75.2%
  • Depends on what the plans are

Votes: 149 15.9%

• Total voters
Us old farts who watched City in the 70s,80s and 90s are no longer the target audience.They want the nuclear family who attened once a season spend a fortune in the club shop and embrace the Football experiance almost like a day out at at theme park.
I only attend 6 to 8 games a season.My football experiance meet mates in pub then chippy b4 entering stadium at 5 to 3 dont buy a programme ,dont buy anything in club shop buy nothing in ground.
Im not in to tunnel club or lounges.
We or i are not the matchday patron they want or target.

And the reason to reduce the capacity at the Etihad, move fans, take out seats, and have larger pitch side digital advertising boards was to increase revenue. OK.

I wouldn't attend Super League matches as I do the CL . I would however still buy a season card for EPL. I don't agree with the proposal as I don't agree with a closed shop. This has been on the cards since we won the CAS case as clubs are struggling to gain the benefit they wanted with FFP, which as we know was a softer version of the ESL.

The proposal will kill off so many English clubs across all tiers as funding will be dramatically reduced if they do end up kicking out the ESL clubs from domestic competition

As for City, I really don't think they had much choice but sign the letter of intent as the impact of not being in the elite group is worse than not.

Without being in the cartel as bad as it is we would lose the pleasure of watching the very best players representing us and probably the ownership as well.

Let's hope they are forced to back down on both this and the UCL proposal as well.

Think the last 12 months has put pay to many fans going back regardless, people realising just how much money and time has been spent devoting themselves to Manchester City FC.
I certainly have saved thousands and thousands with 4 seats in the East Stand three of £850 plus and a junior. All on the cup schemes plus me and my lad do 95% of the domestic aways (he misses the odd one when he runs our of family emergencies or dental appointments)

I did most of the euro aways until a season or so ago when the hangovers got too much
Plus City owe me in the region of £1000 of seasoncard credit

I’ll keep my powder dry on any decisions until all this unfolds properly
But it’s not looking good, even talking about following the newly formed Macc FC team next year just for the away fix as I can’t just walk away from football
(swore blind after all the shit I got in 98/99 I’d never watch them again)
Been going since 1977 and put far too much effort into all this to just walk away
However, let’s see

Last edited:
Professional football has and always will be driven by money. At the end of the day since the advent of live football on TV, Utd, Real and Barca have gained more fans worldwide than the rest combined. These three clubs have pushed this out of self interest. They're up to their eyeballs in debt, and expediting these plans is a way out. By doing this, they finally seize control of football forever. If the Der Bilt article on 05 Nov 18 is anything to go by, this has been planned for a long time now. These 3 clubs will have the controlling stake and a lions share of the profits.

Each participant will get €500m for playing in it each year for 15-20 years, plus a joining fee of €200-300m. No club in the world can turn that down out of principle.

From a purely business perspective, if offered the chance to join, City have to accept. By default the UCL collapses immediately, and is replaced by the ESL, if City don't join as founders they are effectively excluding themselves permanently. It's hard to see any of the other 5 annual places being offered to an English club, and that place City rejected could easily be offered to Everton, Villa, Ajax, Benfica or any other club.

So after the investment made by SM, in City and the CFG, do any of us seriously think he is going to waste that opportunity and say no? I think it's unfair to have a go at him, especially after what he has done to/for our club. Would any other City owner in the past have rejected it?

FIFA have threatened to ban players from International football, but this is a hollow threat. The FIFA video game is their biggest money spinner and it includes every player in the world, as a kid playing these games would you choose a game from the ESL or from FIFA minus ESL teams and players?

UEFAs alternative would give Utd, Liverpool etc permanent entry to the revamped UCL, so this sort of thing was happening anyhow albeit at a slower pace.

I was firmly against the Super League in England every time it was mooted in the late 80s / early 90s, and hated the EPL when it was formed on the back of that. Over the years I've got used to the EPL but still think it's wrong. However;

- Can any of us say the old Football League was better than the Premier League? not really.

- Can any of us say the old European Cup was better than the Champions League we have now? not really.

Regardless, I know we (the fans of all the clubs involved) will all get used to it, dislike it, but move on and continue going. A small number of us will say enough is enough, but not enough to change what's just happened. That's just how it is.

They know that, and that's why they've done it.

Being as the biggest money spinning games will eventually be played in the US where they can pocket most money, then what is the point of attending any? We're on the way to a world league with draft picks staged on American tv.

Foreign fan here...

In the late 70'ies up until mid 90'ies english football was my number one fixation i life.
I worked extra hours and saved up money and went to London as often as I could.
Loved just about everything about it.
Yes, I supported Chelsea and watched them as often as I could but I have never been able to truly adopt them as "my club" unlike so many foreign fans who seem to be able to do with passion to whatever club they support outside their own country.
I tried to cram in as many games as possible in a week-end so Southend on a Friday, maybe 2 games on Saturday and another on Sunday was like heaven.

As the years went by I started to travel more in UK to see more stadiums and places.
What a time that was to be alive. At least for me.
But as hard as I tried, I realised more and more that I hadn't roamed the mean streets of "pick your school/suburb/town/city" since birth to fully be a part of the culture.

Post the Hillsborough tragedy football changed in the UK. Some will say for the better and I fully understand that.
But the culture I had learned to love and wish to be a part of disappeared more and more.

What the Premier League brought did not appeal to me at all.
Even though Chelsea eventually became one of the winners of the creation.
I remember going to Leeds-Chelsea in 2003 and the thing I remember best was the awful pie I bought at half-time.
One little bright reminder of the boiled hamburger I bought in the away-end at Watford in 1980 whilst severely hung-over and which I spewed up my first and only bite of within 30 seconds.

I have many good friends in Manchester, roughly they're split 50/50 City/United.
I've been there "hundreds" of times over the past 30 years.
The change of power between them has been a more interesting sub-plot to follow than the actual football.
With the Aguero-goal I just knew that the mushroom cloud I saw far away in the west had to be over Manchester.
Because I knew what it meant for so many.
I could just smile and wish I had been part of all those years of true hurt having to go into school/work/pub knowing what was coming and now finally be loading up the glee-gun proper for the mother of all pay-backs.

I have a lot of respect for the antipathy the City-fan i general holds against the CL.
It's 95% razmataz and 5% sport as far as I'm concerned.
I know your owners wants to win it badly and up until now they've been as good as owners you could ever dream of apart maybe from that ambition. But it is sporting ambition nonetheless. Not greed-driven.

If, and it's a very big if, this Super League would eventually take off I suppose it'll be "The greatest show on earth" but it will not be football to many people.
It will be a money making hyperbole I can't see lasting very long. As someone wrote with a giant cup but absolutely no pedigree.

I think the real winners in many ways will be the remaining english teams and their supporters.
I'm sure a new pecking order at the top will be established soon enough but it will shake a new life into many of the clubs with fine (albeit not with crumbling wast concrete jungle terraces) stadiums, big support and fine history (not necessarily by winning a lot but being part of making english football the best known league and most followed by far).

The 6 leaving will open the competition and there is enough clubs in England with names well known around the world.
Nottingham Forest, QPR, Stoke, Sheffield W., Coventry, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Ipswich, Derby etc. etc. So a competitive league with 20 attractive teams with big support is not really an issue.
I for one would go and watch that with joy even if I didn't really have "my own" team to support.
But I will never attend a Super League game in my life. I couldn't care less.
Off course it would be easier for me to turn-off Chelsea as they were never truly "my team" (see reasoning above) than for you as life-long mancunian City supporters.

Last time in London, probably 10 years ago, I went to watch AFC Wimbledon instead of Chelsea and I knew 5 minutes into the game I'd done the right thing.
Standing up, surrounded by all sorts of characters, muddy pitch, wild tackles, passionate crowd and a lot of laughter. I even think my effort in the bar actually made a little difference to their economy....

Maybe I should leave out I've went to see FC United a few years ago. And enjoyed that as well....

Just out of interest, where are you from?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.