William Carvalho

I will admit I have barely watched this lad since the Euro's, but what is it that has made him go "bang average" all of a sudden?

A few years ago he was one of the most coveted young midfielders in Europe.

I'm not convinced he's a strong enough athlete to be deployed in a defensive midfield role for us.

For all of our talent, teams could have a lot of joy on the break against us next season.

I will admit I have barely watched this lad since the Euro's, but what is it that has made him go "bang average" all of a sudden?

A few years ago he was one of the most coveted young midfielders in Europe.

Absolutely nothing. He's an absolutely brilliant player, but the Metro linked him to West Brom (which Sporting laughed at) and someone shared a video of him not tracking back immediately before being substituted with an injury, so everyone on here decided he was shite all of a sudden.

Truth is he hasn't been quite as eye catching since Leonardo Jardim (now the monaco manager who's made Mendy and Silva into players we want) left Sporting. He is still very good and was one of Portugal's best players in the Euros.

He's an incredible passer, is a massive unit who makes a lot of tackles and interceptions, good positionally, impossible to get the ball off - all-round a very technically gifted player who's also physical.

His weakness is pace, over a long distance he's slow, but he's got a little burst of acceleration over 15 yards to get past a player, and he makes up for it with good defensive positioning.

Doesn't seem suited to our league, you'd think after the season we've had Pep will now realise what does and doesn't work (see Bravo)

Honestly think he makes more sense than Fabinho, given what he actually does and where he would actually play and be expected to do.

He falls foul of the same unfortunate stereotyping as Yaya does, because he's a giant black guy, people don't see the player he actual is and instead just expect him to be a charge around barging kind of player and obviously think he falls short of standards as he's not particularly good at that (although like Yaya, no one barges him off the ball). I honestly think he has the potential to be our Busquets, that's the sort of player he actually is, or at least could be. I don't know if he will fulfil his potential and become that player, but Pep is exactly the sort of manager he needs

We will lose Aleix Garcia and sign Carvalho. Depressing. Looking forward to the Carvalho, Delph and Fernando 3-man League Cup midfield.

Absolutely nothing. He's an absolutely brilliant player, but the Metro linked him to West Brom (which Sporting laughed at) and someone shared a video of him not tracking back immediately before being substituted with an injury, so everyone on here decided he was shite all of a sudden.
Must admit I'd heard a lot about him but not seen him much until the Euros and watched out for him then and wasn't too impressed.
Having said that I don't think form in International tournaments translates very well to club form. I've seen players look really good in tournaments and average domestically and visa versa.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.