Willian

Status
Not open for further replies.
TonyM said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
TonyM said:
Lots of people pointed out over the past couple of years that we needed width to give us a Plan B for when the tippytappy game wasn't working.

Forgetting that Navas probably is now Plan A...The long sought after "Plan B" depends on Navas alone. Milner has been great in preseason but what if Navas is out for a few games?

Maybe we may need another winger - just to cover for Navas. Doesn't matter if they are LW or RW cos we'll never play with both.

Why not?
I just don't see teams like ours playing the traditional 442 with 2 wingers. It's history.

It's not about whether we play 442 with 2 wingers or not, it's about having a squad that's sufficiently balanced to cope with all eventualities. Currently we have just one attacking player (Navas) with any kind of width and pace in his armoury. Playing devil's advocate, if he cops for a serious injury then we are back to square one in terms of circumnavigating all those parked buses that will doubtless lie in store again this season, and which we have struggled against consistently over the course of the last 3 years. Willian is jet heeled and can beat a man for fun. I'd buy him like a shot, as none of our other left sided options (Milner, Nas, Silva, Jovetic) has those attributes. Sadly though, as you say, it doesn't look like we're interested.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
TonyM said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
I just don't see teams like ours playing the traditional 442 with 2 wingers. It's history.

It's not about whether we play 442 with 2 wingers or not, it's about having a squad that's sufficiently balanced to cope with all eventualities. Currently we have just one attacking player (Navas) with any kind of width and pace in his armoury. Playing devil's advocate, if he cops for a serious injury then we are back to square one in terms of circumnavigating all those parked buses that will doubtless lie in store again this season, and which we have struggled against consistently over the course of the last 3 years. Willian is jet heeled and can beat a man for fun. I'd buy him like a shot, as none of our other left sided options (Milner, Nas, Silva, Jovetic) has those attributes. Sadly though, as you say, it doesn't look like we're interested.

I also have the same concerns. For me the same applies with Fernandinho, especially as Garcia is gash and Barry looks to be on his way.

we definitely need a pacey, left footed winger and a decent experienced defender still.

that's what we're lacking.

If Sinclair Barry and Kolorov were to leave the ideal replacements would be Pepe and Coentrao. Pepe to add steel and experience in the back four, Coentrao to add cover or replace Clichy at left back but also bring width and pace down the left side. Both Clichy and Coentrao could play together if needed.

If Pepe available for 15 -20m and Coentrao available for 13m both could be got for under 30m and that would be a fantastic summer in the transfer window. IMO. Unless Willian can play left back as well which might alter things slightly.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
TonyM said:
The Fat el Hombre said:

I don't agree with the whole back up width being the opposite side to Navas. At this level you don't just throw on a quick lad on the left and automatically attack from wide. The rest of the team have change the shape to provide cover, service, etc. So I think if we are looking for another winner, it will be a RW so he can be a like for like replacement for Jesus.

The thing is though, we have Milner as back up for Navas, so I can't see us getting another RW. That's why I doubt we'll see any wingers coming into the squad this window, a defender seems much more likely

Rammyblues said:
If Sinclair Barry and Kolorov were to leave the ideal replacements would be Pepe and Coentrao. Pepe to add steel and experience in the back four, Coentrao to add cover or replace Clichy at left back but also bring width and pace down the left side. Both Clichy and Coentrao could play together if needed.

If Pepe available for 15 -20m and Coentrao available for 13m both could be got for under 30m and that would be a fantastic summer in the transfer window. IMO. Unless Willian can play left back as well which might alter things slightly.

Agreed, Pepe and Coentrao would really give us a strong squad. I still feel signing Willian at a knock down price would make perfect sense, but if it isn't a knock down price, then these two for £30 million would be good.

Rammyblues said:

could coentrao play left wing mate?

Rammyblues said:
Thats what I am told by more astute posters on here. :-)

that would be an excellent signing then as he could facilitate two positions when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.