Winston Churchill

Saddleworth2

@Ban-jani, so just to continue our conversation regarding Churchill on a more appropriate thread. As far as I understand his policies created the problem. Diverting rice to other areas of the empire, suppressing supplies because of fears that they fell into Japanese hands. Not the whole reason of course but pretty negligent.

Reactions: mat
So just to continue our conversation regarding Churchill on a more appropriate thread. As far as I understand his policies created the problem. Diverting rice to other areas of the empire, suppressing supplies because of fears that they fell into Japanese hands. Not the whole reason of course but pretty negligent.
Negligent is true definitely but his country’s existence was at stake and humanitarian aid wasn’t on his mind.

The reason we held them off was because he was stubborn and a bastard, certainly lacking morals in some areas.

Let’s not forget he killed x amount of French men on their ships so they didn’t fall into German hands.

At the end of the day there is no denying he was an imperialist and white supremecist, something he never denied.

The begal famine and why Austrailian wheat and grain shipments were able to reach Sri Lanka, the middle east and South Africa but were not sent to India and whether this was a purposeful spiteful action from the UK government because of the pre war drive for independance will be a conversation between historians that will never be resolved,

Reactions: mat
At the end of the day there is no denying he was an imperialist and white supremecist, something he never denied.

The begal famine and why Austrailian wheat and grain shipments were able to reach Sri Lanka, the middle east and South Africa but were not sent to India and whether this was a purposeful spiteful action from the UK government because of the pre war drive for independance will be a conversation between historians that will never be resolved,
Imperialist yes, white supremacist maybe not. He certainly was at some point in his life but people change and mellow. Many in Victorian Britain were but I certainly don’t think he was later in life.

The problem with history is people look at someone like Churchill, they take one or two quotes from a lifetime of public service and two stints as PM, one during the worst era the country has faced in centuries... and they stroke their black and white brush across him and make unfair accusations.

I hate using copied internet terms like describing him as a white supremacist, which is used now because people have heard others say it, like “war criminal” for Blair darkens every comments section of any video he’s in... however I am going to use one myself... Churchill was deeply flawed as a man but ultimately is a national hero for stopping something much much worse than anything he could have been capable of.

The modern social justice movement really need a grasp on historical context and what life was like back then. They often apply today’s standards to people like Attila the Hun and are gobsmacked when he’s not organising gay rights marches.

Imperialist yes, white supremacist maybe not. He certainly was at some point in his life but people change and mellow. Many in Victorian Britain were but I certainly don’t think he was later in life.

The problem with history is people look at someone like Churchill, they take one or two quotes from a lifetime of public service and two stints as PM, one during the worst era the country has faced in centuries... and they stroke their black and white brush across him and make unfair accusations.

I hate using copied internet terms like describing him as a white supremacist, which is used now because people have heard others say it, like “war criminal” for Blair darkens every comments section of any video he’s in... however I am going to use one myself... Churchill was deeply flawed as a man but ultimately is a national hero for stopping something much much worse than anything he could have been capable of.

The modern social justice movement really need a grasp on historical context and what life was like back then. They often apply today’s standards to people like Attila the Hun and are gobsmacked when he’s not organising gay rights marches.

Aye internet terms, that have been used since the 18th century.

Churchil was a firm believer all his s life that the white and aryan race was superior to other races and colours.

He never hid the fact, don't know why people try to pretend he wasn't.

White supremacy is not some new term or thing, in fact it drove european and american colonialism, the need to tame the savages and bring them civilisation.

Churchil being one is not unusual for his generation as many people regarded highly for other achievements had a similar mindset.

I can seperate a British WS mindset from days of empire from the WASPs, KKK and proud boys of America which most automatically think of when the term is used.

Am I saying WC agreed with the Klan or Nazis? No

I think it's possible to be a racist, a homophobe, a transphobe, a sexist and whatever else and still be a national hero.

Churchill was undoubtedly that.

Aye internet terms, that have been used since the 18th century.

Churchil was a firm believer all his s life that the white and aryan race was superior to other races and colours.

He never hid the fact, don't know why people try to pretend he wasn't.

White supremacy is not some new term or thing, in fact it drove european and american colonialism, the need to tame the savages and bring them civilisation.

Churchil being one is not unusual for his generation as many people regarded highly for other achievements had a similar mindset.

I can seperate a British WS mindset from days of empire from the WASPs, KKK and proud boys of America which most automatically think of when the term is used.

Am I saying WC agreed with the Klan or Nazis? No
Well I didn’t mean it wasn’t around before the internet. I mean terms related to particular things and particular people get re constantly via the internet by sheep. Not that I’m accusing you of doing so, I’m just saying that the swathes of idiots out there that do it annoy me.

It’s the same whenever you see a City article of video and some Rag/Scouser comments “empty seats”, as if that’s original.

Every Tony Blair video receives 1/3 replies underneath just saying “war criminal”, it’s tedious and it’s people who cannot speak for themselves.

I am not denying he had racist thoughts and was, at least at one stage, a white supremacist but reading about the man, you see that his views changed throughout his life and he spent a lifetime in public office, so merely describing him as such, is a little unfair, to choose the worst aspect of his character throughout his whole life, to describe him in basic terms.

Flawed but a hero is how I’d describe the man.

Proud Boys are absolute idiots but you need to look up where they came from. You cannot put them in the same bracket as the KKK but they’re utter idiots to back that Orange Idiot.

Well I didn’t mean it wasn’t around before the internet. I mean terms related to particular things and particular people get re constantly via the internet by sheep. Not that I’m accusing you of doing so, I’m just saying that the swathes of idiots out there that do it annoy me.

It’s the same whenever you see a City article of video and some Rag/Scouser comments “empty seats”, as if that’s original.

Every Tony Blair video receives 1/3 replies underneath just saying “war criminal”, it’s tedious and it’s people who cannot speak for themselves.

I am not denying he had racist thoughts and was, at least at one stage, a white supremacist but reading about the man, you see that his views changed throughout his life and he spent a lifetime in public office, so merely describing him as such, is a little unfair, to choose the worst aspect of his character throughout his whole life, to describe him in basic terms.

Flawed but a hero is how I’d describe the man.

Proud Boys are absolute idiots but you need to look up where they came from. You cannot put them in the same bracket as the KKK but they’re utter idiots to back that Orange Idiot.

The proud boys are a white supremarcist group in every bit the sense of thier forebarers such as the KKK.

Trump may back them but they are not a product of him, but emboldened by his presidential win and became mpre openly more than just a group on McInnes message boards.

As for labeling, I label what I see not what the internet says, I call racist racist and cranks cranks.

I don't label anyone just those that blatantly are, must be because I am from the so labeled Gen X ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.