Winter Soups. Whats your favourite?

I love homemade soup and I don't care who knows it. If I say so myself, which i will, I make great soup. This is not a skill I learned from my mother, her homemade soup made stagnant pond water look fucking delicious. My mum, was to cooking what Bobby Davro was to comedy, an insult.

My learning to cook was a survival necessity. Soups, were one of the first things I mastered. This very afternoon I made a large pot of minestrone, to which I add smoked paprika and enough garlic to fend off a million vampires. Various beans, thinly sliced carrot, pasta shells, vegetable stock, chillies, canned tomatoes, tomato puree, pasata, basil, oregano, black pepper.

It is fantastic. There's no other word for it. Is it because I am middle aged that I love soup? I was wondering who else loves and makes their own soup? What kinds, as I am always on the lookout for new varieties. A couple of years ago I gave up eating meat, vegetarian food is on the whole fucking awful, so soups now provide an enjoyable alternative to my restricted diet.

It may be the snow, but cold weather makes soup better.

And yes it's been a slow day.
Always loved eating & making different soups. Tend to make 2 or 3 different sorts a week.

Recent varieties have been scotch broth, carrot & cumin, courgette with smoked bacon stock, sweet pepper & tomato, tomato & red onion, sweet potato & cumin. I made a parsnip & chilli one a month or so back which was decent too.

Another decent one is cauliflower, cheese & nutmeg
Hope that’s given you some ideas pal

Some great suggestions and I loved the pea and ham and chicken broths but I don't eat meat now so they are just fond memories. I will certainly try some of the suggestions. Cheers.

I love homemade soup and I don't care who knows it. If I say so myself, which i will, I make great soup. This is not a skill I learned from my mother, her homemade soup made stagnant pond water look fucking delicious. My mum, was to cooking what Bobby Davro was to comedy, an insult.

My learning to cook was a survival necessity. Soups, were one of the first things I mastered. This very afternoon I made a large pot of minestrone, to which I add smoked paprika and enough garlic to fend off a million vampires. Various beans, thinly sliced carrot, pasta shells, vegetable stock, chillies, canned tomatoes, tomato puree, pasata, basil, oregano, black pepper.

It is fantastic. There's no other word for it. Is it because I am middle aged that I love soup? I was wondering who else loves and makes their own soup? What kinds, as I am always on the lookout for new varieties. A couple of years ago I gave up eating meat, vegetarian food is on the whole fucking awful, so soups now provide an enjoyable alternative to my restricted diet.

It may be the snow, but cold weather makes soup better.

And yes it's been a slow day.
I love soup (but not minestrone which is devils soup, and the very worst ingredient when vomiting, the memory of a pasta shape stuck in my nose will never fade).

I make a pot of soup for lunches every week based on what vegetables I get from my organic veg box (shout out to East Coast Organics). This week, turnip, carrot, potato, leek, onion, sweet potato. Last week spiced butternut squash. Next week maybe carrot and lentil.

Just chuck the chunks in some stock with some herbs and simmer for 40 minutes. Then to blend or not to blend - it depends on the soup.
Lovely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.