with the CL draw almost upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.
City Raider said:
can't imagine there'll be many teams in pot 1&2 looking forward to drawing us

We say this every time yet it doesn't seem to matter much when the games begin!

I am hoping Pellegrini can do a job in this competition and at least get us to last 16 whoever we draw...

Of course it's rigged. Remember?

Dortmund were put, not drawn, into our group last season. The other remaining team was the Romanian team that was put into United's group.

The reason.

So Bayern and Dortmund didn' play on the same night

Basically keeping UEFA and German television happy.

If the draw was fair, we would have had a 50/50 chance of getting the Romanian team. The same would have applied to United with Dortmund, but it was rigged for German television.

jrb said:

Dortmund were put, not drawn, into our group last season. The other remaining team was the Romanian team that was put into United's group.

The reason.

If the draw was fair, we would have had a 50/50 chance of getting the Romanian team. The same would have applied to United with Dortmund, but it was rigged for German television.
that is exactly what happened although i don't see why they couldn't be in scum's group and still play on a different night to Bayern
it made no sense at all

de niro said:
I am fucking buzzing. Don't care who we draw or where we go I'm fucking having it. Waited so long for these days and the novelty will never wear off.

cant wait.

Wow Bill and to think you had lost your Mojo a few weeks ago!

squirtyflower said:
that is exactly what happened although i don't see why they couldn't be in scum's group and still play on a different night to Bayern
it made no sense at all
Because teams are paired for TV purposes before the draw is made.
It's another way to maximise UEFA's TV revenue.

While I don't think the draw is rigged as such we know that there are various elements that determine it. The main one is the coefficient system, which gives equal weighting to performance 5 years ago and performance last year. I did a quick and dirty weighting system to see if it made a difference and the significant winners would have been Dortmund and FC Basel. Liverpool would have lost out quite significantly. But not much impact apart from that.

We also know that the teams are split into 2 pots for TV purposes so for pot 1, Bayern, Real Madrid, Rags/Chelsea and Porto/Benfica will be in one half of the draw and we'll be in the other half to the rags. Generally they take the top four teams if there's no country clashes.

I've also noticed that, in general, the teams in pots 1 & 2 with the higher coefficients will tend to get the pot 3 & 4 teams with the lower coefficients. Doesn't happen all the time, as it depends on how they split them for TV, but I reckon it happens 70% of the time. So being a higher ranked team in pot 3 might help us.

East Level 2 said:
squirtyflower said:
it made no sense at all
Because teams are paired for TV purposes before the draw is made.
It's another way to maximise UEFA's TV revenue.
i know that

but how does Dortmund being in City's or United's group affect when Bayern/Dortmund play?

BigJoe#1 said:
So why not embrace the TRUE spirit of real and proper competition and have an open draw?

If as a result of that you end up with a group that has

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munchen
Man Utd.....

So what. I am fed up of all this seeding and separation malarkey. Come on UEFA get your fingers out and be totally transparent.... For the sake of honesty and the game itself!

Yes BigJoe#1 we all agree, but for the millionth ******* time it's not about real and proper competition or honesty and the game itself it's about UEFA maximising television revenue and protecting the old guard at the same time. UEFA accept any of the four teams you mention could go out if they have a brain-fart on the pitch, but they structure the draw so that becomes less likely. And that includes the league structure rather than a straight knock out.
We can't play on the same night as the rags, and Chels and Arse will be in different halves of the draw so we will be restricted to three groups. Teams from pot 2 will be restricted as to which groups they can be drawn in and that might restrict when we and other pot 3 teams can be placed. And the same restrictions apply to pot four so the Cluj and Dortmund scenario could repeat quite easily.

jrb said:

The reason.

Sorry, but I think you were also paired with United to avoid that you would play on the same day. Rigged for british televison and maybe safety issues in Manchester. (Imagine United vs Dortmund and City vs Bayern on the same day)

I don't understand your problem anyway. You're not mighty, tiny City. You are one of the biggest clubs in England and should be able to succeed in any group. Last year was indeed a very difficult group, but 4th place behind Ajax?

The coefficient is a good solution for a interesting knock out phase. Or do you like to see Cluji vs Plzen in the quarterfinal and United vs Plzen in the semifinal?

bayern-flo2 said:
jrb said:

The reason.

Sorry, but I think you were also paired with United to avoid that you would play on the same day. Rigged for british televison and maybe security issues in Manchester.

I don't understand your problem anyway. You're not mighty, tiny City. You are one of the biggest clubs in England and should be able to succeed in any group. Last year was indeed a very difficult group, but 4th place behind Ajax?

The coefficient is a good solution for a interesting knock out phase. Or do you like to see Cluji vs Plzen in the quarterfinal and United vs Plzen in the semifinal?

Spoken like a true fan of an elite club. Yes I would like to see Cluj v Pizen - if they were the best teams. Rummenigge would be proud of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.