Wolves (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Teams sit back because we are relatively easy to defend against. We allow their team to get back the occasional time they venture forwards and lose the ball. Our slow and boring build up is on us, not on how teams set up and I am surprised, especially with our current wingers, how we don't break, quickly, directly and with a purpose. That second half was an example of a team with zero ideas on how to break down a side happy to defend. You would think we would be working different ways and styles out rather than pass it to death sideways hoping to find the smallest gap to create something. If teas get joy from defending then it is on us to combat that, we just about muddle through but I hope the best manager in the world finds a better way than the same rinse and repeat.
It's very similar to how the women play. Backwards, sideways, back passes to the goalie when we have lightning quick forwards. We take an age to get the ball up to the oppo pen area, and if we seem to hit a small wall we are happy to channel it back and often as far back as the goalie. I have sat in the East Stand at The Joie and thought 'How do we manage to have a corner and three passes later our goalie has it?"

Yes you are right but they were trying to claim because he was there he’s putting the keeper off, never heard a peep about that when Rashford did against us!

Sa didn't react at all initially. He knew he was beaten fair and square. That tells you everything. There's really nothing to see here. The media have tried to spin it differently, as has O'Neill.

Teams sit back because we are relatively easy to defend against. We allow their team to get back the occasional time they venture forwards and lose the ball. Our slow and boring build up is on us, not on how teams set up and I am surprised, especially with our current wingers, how we don't break, quickly, directly and with a purpose. That second half was an example of a team with zero ideas on how to break down a side happy to defend. You would think we would be working different ways and styles out rather than pass it to death sideways hoping to find the smallest gap to create something. If teas get joy from defending then it is on us to combat that, we just about muddle through but I hope the best manager in the world finds a better way than the same rinse and repeat.
And yet we're the top scorers in the league, odd that

Deflection Deflection Deflection from the Wolves manager.. They are in deep shit and he needs to stop crying about a perfectly legit goal and start thinking about his previous results..
Aside from a very few notable moments in the game, they were shitty bus parking cunts..!

That said, I hope they get relegated, once dissed, forever pissed ..!

Just got round to seeing the Wolves goal (yeah, I know, forgive me, kind of 100 years late onto the scene). Watched it several times, freezing it at different points. Several things about that goal.
First things first. Render unto Caesar. Semedo's (?) ball in is brilliant. It truly made me feel nostalgic for De Bruyne, when he used to do that regularly (he can still do it, but it's from time to time now). You've got to give credit where it's due. You'd think a team at the bottom of the league would not produce a ball like that. Just shows.
But. But here's the thing. When the move gets going, Gvardiol's reaction is particularly striking. He knows he's not going to be able to get right over to block it, right from the start. I think that's fair enough. There's just too much distance. The best he can do is move towards Semedo, hopefully to put him off and force him into making a short pass back and inside. But as he makes his way towards the winger, he glances over to his left, to see how the line behind him is set up, and my distinct impression is that he can already see that there is a problem. Johnny — sorry Eccles — but he is not covering anyone in particular: he is caught in no man's land between two Wolves players, not bringing pressure to bear on either of them, but making it look as though he might be able to cover Larsen, which possibly deceives Rico. Now this is not to exculpate Rico completely. Rico dawdles in setting off after Larsen, right at the start, and never manages to make up the ground. He does not have Kyle's speed, and sorry, he never will have (not that Kyle has Kyle's speed, these days). Love the lad, he's got tons of other abilities, but he simply does not have that rapidity. Usually, he gets away with it, because his anticipatory reading of the game is so good that he rarely leaves himself high and dry. But here's the interesting thing: freeze it, and you'll see that at the very start of the action, Rico is actually looking over into midfield, at a deeper lying Wolves player moving forward behind the first line of his attacking team mates, clearly wondering whether he should go to cover him, because nobody else seems to have clocked the danger there at all. He's not even looking at Larsen's back initially. I suppose what I'm saying is that I suspect Rico's thinking like a midfielder (which he actually is) while also trying to think like a right back. I think, finally, that it's a bit unfair on the lad. It certainly isn't Kyle's problem, and it never has been! I think if anyone impresses me in that back line at that point it's Josko. The guy's awareness is just brilliant. He can't actually do anything about it at that point, but he sees what's coming — if the ball in is good. Which, unfortunately for us, it is. I've been hugely impressed with Gvardiol since the end of last season. A big player, for years to come.
I think, in a general sense, the defence is not quite as cohesive as it should be. It's not just about Rod not being there.

Anyhow, three points, reasonably happy days. The result's good anyway. Onwards…
The defence has been wobbly but the midfield has been the bigger problem for me. Teams seem to have found it fairly easy to cut through it. Wolves for all their limitations should really have been 2-0 up and Brentford and Fulham made us look quite ordinary.

I am not sure how we solve it but every time we give the ball away or lose it, we look in danger of conceding. We played well at Chelsea and West Ham and it looked good, even without Rodri, but it hasn’t looked as great in recent weeks.

The big positive is that the side are fighters and will always keep going. That has won us 3 extra points this season already and taken 2 off Arsenal. There is no doubting their commitment.

Personally I think it’s a big ask without Rodri all season, particularly in the CL where teams are better. With De Bruyne looking injury prone yet again and Foden out of form, it’s going to be a grind for the next few weeks or so I think and getting the wins like on Sunday is the target first and foremost regardless of how we play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.